Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Developers Forum

Developers Forum

1. Subscriber Russ
    RHP Code Monkey
    18 Jul '03 22:44
    As one interesting (third party) project is well underway already by a user of this site, I thought it was probably time to try to encourage others to do similar things. (I have been interested in doing a client for RHP for use on a mobile device myself).

If you are interested, and would like some assistance, please discuss your plans here.

Happy coding.

-Russ
  2. Standard member StrayJay
    I'm like a nerd
    19 Jul '03 00:32
    To keep everyone up-to-date, and to prevent several people from inventing the wheel at the same time: I'm currently working on a client that I've called "Red Hot Probe", which checks the RHP site for 'games waiting', so users don't have to do this manually.

So far, features include:
    - feedback onscreen, through the internal PC speaker, and/or through the sound card, of the number of games or messages waiting
    - adjustable interval between checks
    - runs as popup window, in the taskbar (under development: in the system tray, and as a toolbar plug-in for IE)
    - automatically start up the browser when games or messages are waiting
    - logic to minimize server load

Most options are configurable.

Russ has been so kind as to write a script that makes all this possible with minimal traffic.

Suggestions are appreciated!

StrayJay.
  3. Subscriber Russ
    RHP Code Monkey
    19 Jul '03 08:38
    And believe me, its very good too!

Thanks J.

-Russ
  4. Standard member gregoftheweb
    The Great Gonzo
    21 Jul '03 17:11
    What are you writing it in?

What does it consume? Is it a web service? Just some exposed script? XML?

sounds cool.
  5. Standard member StrayJay
    I'm like a nerd
    23 Jul '03 04:28 / 6 edits
    Hmm... A "software engineer from Redmond", asking if my little app is "a web service"...

It's a tiny Visual C++ program, currently 40 kB in size. It connects with the RHP server at pre-set intervals (although, in order to reduce server-lod, it uses a backoff algorithm when the user does not (a) respond to waiting games, or (b) have waiting games for an extended period of time) through a PHP script that Russ wrote especially for this service.

Oh, by the by... Visual Studio 6 is one of the programs I actually bought; that should make you happy if you're employed by the company that I think employs you... The purchase of VS6 was a good deal too: the Professional Edition cost $1500 at the time, but I noticed that upgrades were only half that. Then I also noticed that it was possible to upgrade from "any version of Delphi". Therefore, I bought Delphi 6 Personal Edition for about $150, together with an upgrade to VS6. As a result, I spent close to $900 on VS6 **and** Delphi, rather than $1500 on only VS6... The thrifty Dutchman in me was very pleased.

"Hmm, upgrades..." (Neo in The Matrix Reloaded)
    "Mmmmmmmmm, upgrade!" (Me, in that computerstore)
  6. Standard member gregoftheweb
    The Great Gonzo
    23 Jul '03 16:32
    Where can I get the app. And I would love a peek at the code, just being the inquisitive bloke that I am.
  7. Standard member gregoftheweb
    The Great Gonzo
    23 Jul '03 16:55
    btw VS.Net is even better. heh.
  8. Standard member StrayJay
    I'm like a nerd
    23 Jul '03 22:19 / 2 edits
    Russ was so to kind to suggest that the program be offered for download from this site. The source code will not be published --contrary to what you may believe, the world outside Microsoft isn't all open source (yet...). Russ and I are busy this week, but will resume working on the project this weekend.

I have a copy of VS.NET Enterprise Architect (don't worry, I use it for evaluation purposes only ) and I agree, the IDE is a delight to work with. However, I don't think the ROI is very good: it's bleedin' expensive, and as long as I can't count on .NET being installed on the computers of pretty much all my customers, I'm not developing under .NET. Well, not professionally anyway.

I don't doubt that the Enterprise Architect license allows me to redistribute the .NET framework along with the software that I develop, but since I've been unsuccessful in upgrading from .NET 1.0 to 1.1 (the installation process hangs somewhere halfway; lazy as I am, I've not taken the time to investigate why, yet), I don't want to take the risk of spending months on the development of a .NET program, only to find out that my customers can't install it. I have a hunch they will blame me, and not Microsoft, for that. Life's just not that fair.

Taking all that into account, to me (and I admit this is a very personal opinion), VS.NET is nothing more than a very, very fancy IDE and therefore not worth the investment.

J.
  9. Subscriber Crowley
    Not Aleister
    27 Jul '03 16:12
    Microsoft, very nice company that they are , gave us lowly CS students access to VS.NET.

Now I'm just getting irritated because I'm struggling with these friggin datasets...
    Know any cool help sites on the web, maybe some simple example code?
  10. Standard member gregoftheweb
    The Great Gonzo
    28 Jul '03 16:21
    msdn heh.

I found them a bit tricky to get my brain around to begin with but now the lowly recordset seems inadequate.

The thing to remember is you want to build a datatable (usually) and you want to use a dataview from that table with whatever control you are filling.

There is some good examples over on 4guysfromrolla.com and the forums at asp.net are pretty good. The problem I've find is that a lot of their examples are a couple of years old already, which means they are rife with errors (the design changed between then). But they usually get you on the right track.
  11. Standard member gotti2000
    The winemaker
    29 Dec '03 14:12
    Originally posted by StrayJay
    To keep everyone up-to-date, and to prevent several people from inventing the wheel at the same time: I'm currently working on a client that I've called "Red Hot Probe", which checks the RHP site for 'games waiting', ...
    Where can I get this 'Red Hot Probe' from?

thx,
    Gotti
  12. Standard member StrayJay
    I'm like a nerd
    04 Jan '04 02:10 / 1 edit
    Hi Gotti!

A couple of months ago I worked on Red Hot Pawn, but since I'm rather busy with work (when I'm not, I prefer to play "Need for Speed - Underground"; the motion blur is awesome! :-), and also because apparently there's already a Java-client that does basically the same thing as my app, I've decided to postpone further development of the product till later.

But, again, there apparently is already a Java-client that you might want to use. Russ should know more about it. :-)

StrayJay.
  13. Standard member thire
    Xebite
    21 Jan '05 15:51 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by StrayJay
    To keep everyone up-to-date, and to prevent several people from inventing the wheel at the same time: I'm currently working on a client that I've called "Red Hot Probe", which checks the RHP site for 'games waiting', so users don't ...[text shortened]... with minimal traffic.

Suggestions are appreciated!

StrayJay.
    I know, this is very old, but I like the idea very much and I just got an ADSL connection, so this is even more interesting...
    So nay news here or any future plans or anybody else who could do things like that... (FireFox Plugin?)
    Where can I get this Java-stuff?
    th
  14. 28 May '05 22:26
    What is the URL of the program Russ built for the probe, and what arguments does it take? - it may be useful for a program I am writing to keep better up-to-date with RHP's waiting games. I could always request the ordinary pages via a normal feed and filter it, but that's ugly and subject to a change, and a significant overhead. Any help is very much welcome.
  15. Standard member gotti2000
    The winemaker
    10 Jun '05 19:03
    Originally posted by evildictaitor
    What is the URL of the program Russ built for the probe, and what arguments does it take? - it may be useful for a program I am writing to keep better up-to-date with RHP's waiting games. I could always request the ordinary pages via a normal feed and filter it, but that's ugly and subject to a change, and a significant overhead. Any help is very much welcome.
    There seems to be something similar
    <http://www.redhotpawn.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=24904&page=1>