Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Developers Forum

Developers Forum

1. Standard member Daemon Sin
    I'm A Mighty Pirate™
    07 Jun '07 21:27
    I was planning to parse some XML for an RHP related site but not matter what PHP function I use I get a "URL file-access is disabled in the server configuration" error. It's quite annoying as my current webhost adverised full PHP support with my package.

Does anyone know of a webhost that definitely allows PHP based URL file access, or even a way I can get around it with my current host?
  2. 07 Jun '07 23:17
    Are you trying to use fopen? Anyway, what is the webhost? They may have it disabled for security reasons. They may also require a proxy for external connections. You would probably find much better help on an actual php forum. I am about half dumb when it comes to this stuff. Also, google your entire error message and you will find some help as well.
  3. Standard member Daemon Sin
    I'm A Mighty Pirate™
    08 Jun '07 13:47
    Originally posted by giantrobot
    Are you trying to use fopen? Anyway, what is the webhost? They may have it disabled for security reasons. They may also require a proxy for external connections. You would probably find much better help on an actual php forum. I am about half dumb when it comes to this stuff. Also, google your entire error message and you will find some help as well.
    Host is Bravenet and yes "fopen" was the main function I was trying to use.

I've tried all that and not got anywhere.
  4. 09 Jun '07 13:28
    Bravenet is poo. Sorry.
  5. 27 Sep '07 00:46
    just do it all locally, much faster anyway:

http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html
  6. Standard member Daemon Sin
    I'm A Mighty Pirate™
    28 Sep '07 17:41
    Originally posted by Johann Lau
    just do it all locally, much faster anyway:

http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html
    Been there, done that. It's far too expensive and far too much hassle to host anything more than a tiny site without pissing off your ISP and killing your bandwith.
  7. 02 Oct '07 03:35 / 1 edit
    Oops, must have missed the "for a rhp related site" part.

Here's an idea: get the contents of the file via javascript, and let the javascript send the contents to the PHP file via POST...?