Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Developers Forum

Developers Forum

1. 26 Sep '06 00:59
    This may be a big idea and it might not be easily accomplished, but I've seen a lot of Flash websites, they look awsome! How about make this website a Flash website?
  2. Standard member Snowman606
    Playing badly
    26 Sep '06 15:10
    I think that would be a major pain in the backside for Russ & co on the programming side and from my personal perspective a definite downturn in terms of usability for the end user.

You could have a flash-driven blitz chess section though I spose.
  3. Standard member David C
    Flamenco Sketches
    27 Sep '06 03:39
    Originally posted by chess kid1
    This may be a big idea and it might not be easily accomplished, but I've seen a lot of Flash websites, they look awsome! How about make this website a Flash website?
    No doubt that Flash and Shockwave have come a long way in terms of usability. Some of the high-end flash sites are just so frikkin' awesome, it's unbelievable. Having said that, I'd hate to see this site get away from the simple HTML format. I can't tell you how happy I was that they built this puppy without applets or plug-ins. Small footprint, for those of us who play from work, etc.
  4. 28 Sep '06 19:26
    It would be totally unrealistic to make this site in flash. The number of features and the simplicity of the code here is what makes the site so pleasureable. If you created a flash version you'd be looking at huge loading times and less accessiblity to accomplish the same things, all for the sake some pretty graphics.
  5. Standard member skryking
    Seeking the Present
    02 Oct '06 17:26
    what would be the advantage of going to flash?
  6. Standard member XanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    04 Oct '06 18:11
    Originally posted by skryking
    what would be the advantage of going to flash?
    They'd be less people. I wouldn't be here if the site converted to flash.
  7. 04 Oct '06 22:05
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    They'd be less people. I wouldn't be here if the site converted to flash.
    They'd? THEY'D? Frick!
  8. 04 Oct '06 23:00
    Originally posted by chess kid1
    With this one statement you have demonstrated that you have a VERY promising future in management. Don't listen to these other fools in the thread, they will end up being workers their whole life and YOU will end up giving them orders!
  9. Standard member Snowman606
    Playing badly
    04 Oct '06 23:12
    Originally posted by tmetzler
    With this one statement you have demonstrated that you have a VERY promising future in [b]management. Don't listen to these other fools in the thread, they will end up being workers their whole life and YOU will end up giving them orders![/b]
    Except I'm in management. How the hell else do you think I find the time to be on here?
  10. 05 Oct '06 10:15
    Originally posted by Starrman
    They'd? THEY'D? Frick!
    And less? LESS? Frock!
  11. 06 Oct '06 16:17
    Originally posted by Snowman606
    Except I'm in management. How the hell else do you think I find the time to be on here?
    Well you must be one of those workers, that "bettered himself" by attending nightschool for an MBA and have the advantage of having "been in the pits" before.
  12. Standard member crownjewel82
    Rebel with a cause
    06 Oct '06 20:47
    There's very little these days that can be done with flash that can't be done with some other technology (AJAX for example) that won't require any extra installations, memory, or bandwidth.
  13. 13 Nov '06 17:05
    If you can do it without having it crash great, I actually used to do shockwave e-mail chess for several years with a buddy, but we quit and found this website because the applet kept crashing/losing/rebooting itself. After we couldn't complete a single game for a year it becomes frustrating. This site is a real beauty. But then I've always been a function over form person. I'd prefer something works rather than looking pretty. If I can have both, awesome, but I know which one I'd pick if I only got one. ;-)
  14. 16 Nov '06 16:00 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by DoctorDara
    If you can do it without having it crash great, I actually used to do shockwave e-mail chess for several years with a buddy, but we quit and found this website because the applet kept crashing/losing/rebooting itself. After we couldn't complete a single game for a year it becomes frustrating. This site is a real beauty. But then I've always been a functio ng pretty. If I can have both, awesome, but I know which one I'd pick if I only got one. ;-)
    I'd like to add to that, I think this site looks pretty damn good. Easy to use, well laid out and functional. That's not an easy thing to accomplish and I can't see what can be added with flash that wouldn't just be irrelevant clutter.
  15. Standard member coentje
    Plop!
    16 Nov '06 16:56
    Originally posted by stocken
    I'd like to add to that, I think this site looks pretty damn good. Easy to use, well laid out and functional. That's not an easy thing to accomplish and I can't see what can be added with flash that wouldn't just be irrelevant clutter.
    I have to agree with you, i do not think that flash will add anything useful to this site (unless you think some extra aggravation is useful)

Flash is nice for some real time chess but i think this site is ideally set-up. I do not want all kinds of eye-candy cluttering my screen.