Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Developers Forum

Developers Forum

1. Standard member Hegemon
    A Lost Bobby
    15 Aug '05 09:10 / 1 edit
    Russ (or anyone that may already have one),

I have tried without success to get this developed by Russ over the past 9 months, so I thought I would give it one last try.

I need an XML script that will provide details of clan challenges. This is so I do not have to manually update my clan's website every few days. It takes a long time trawling through each challenge to see what games are completed etc.

The XML script could work in a couple of ways. But really for what I need it doesn't have to have everything. The user could parse the Clan ID (eg 315 = The Lost Bobbys) followed by a list of challenge ID's (eg 44324 = LB's v Brothaz Wit Attitude - Clan A v Clan B).

The XML script would return the following:
    - Clan B Name (ie opponent clan with respect to the parsed clan)
    - Clan B ID
    - Date Started
    - Number of members in Challenge
    - Result (Won/Drawn/Lost/Undecided)
    - End Date (If applicable)
    Then details of the participants from Clan A (ie parsed clan)
    - Participant 1 member Name
    - Participant 1 member ID
    - Participant 1 White Game result (Won/drawn/lost/undecided)
    - Participant 1 Black Game result (Won/drawn/lost/undecided)
    And loop through for each participant.

That's ALL I NEED to be able to automatically update my clan website on a periodic basis.

But extra features might be:
    - Which clan was challenger v challengee
    - Member names and ID's of Clan B
    - Who from Clan A plays Who from Clan B
    - Game ID's

This would save me a good hour a week and would not be server intensive as I would only parse the XML script once a week on non resolved clan challenges.

I have asked previously for others such as as league XML's and Clan information XML's and even game XML's. But I can handle updating those manually. The XML script mentioned above would be enough..

RUSS, I BEG YOU, PLEASE WRITE ME THIS ONE XML..

I am going travelling in late September, so i would really like to be able to get this in place before then.

Yours respectfully and in great hope,
    Hege
  2. Standard member Hegemon
    A Lost Bobby
    15 Aug '05 09:35
    BTW,

I posted this on the forum because I thought others who run websites for their clan (like Cludi) may want this as well.

I already use a clan members XML script which is very useful.

for reference the clan website is www.thelostbobbys.com
  3. Subscriber Russ
    RHP Code Monkey
    15 Aug '05 15:18
    I absolutely promise to make this available in the next two weeks. (I have said it now...) in one form or another.

I feel like I have let a lot of people down over the spring/summer period of this year due to my commitments elsewhere, but I am almost back to fulltime again.

-Russ
  4. Standard member Hegemon
    A Lost Bobby
    15 Aug '05 15:50
    Originally posted by Russ
    I absolutely promise to make this available in the next two weeks. (I have said it now...) in one form or another.

I feel like I have let a lot of people down over the spring/summer period of this year due to my commitments elsewhere, but I am almost back to fulltime again.

-Russ
    I am jumping up and down in excitement. If only there was a smiley for that... this will have to do -

Thankyou Russ. This one script will keep me off your back for many months I PROMISE.

hege
  5. Subscriber Russ
    RHP Code Monkey
    23 Aug '05 20:02
    Just checking how much time I had left to fulfil my promise....I still have some time left.

-Russ
  6. Standard member Hegemon
    A Lost Bobby
    24 Aug '05 12:28
    Russ,

The official self imposed deadline is Monday 29th.

However, it would be REALLY nice to have this by this friday 26th because this is a bank holiday weekend and my fiancee is going to be busy so I have almost the entire long weekend to do programming. Except when I'm out for beers and then suffering from the subsequent hangover. It will take me a majority of the weekend because i'm not a programmer, so doing anything takes me a LONG time...

besides which, I'm sure you'll want to try and make the most of the long weekend yourself!!

Again, in hope... Thanks...

hege
  7. Subscriber Russ
    RHP Code Monkey
    24 Aug '05 21:15
    Originally posted by Hegemon
    Russ,

The official self imposed deadline is Monday 29th.

However, it would be REALLY nice to have this by this friday 26th because this is a bank holiday weekend and my fiancee is going to be busy so I have almost the entire long weekend to do programming. Except when I'm out for beers and then suffering from the subsequent hangover. It will take me a ...[text shortened]... t to try and make the most of the long weekend yourself!!

Again, in hope... Thanks...

hege
    I'll see what I can do. I thought I had Friday free, but it appears not anymore. As for making use of the long weekend, I'll be here probably. :'(

-Russ
  8. Subscriber Russ
    RHP Code Monkey
    25 Aug '05 18:28
    I'll aim to get a quick and nasty version done tomorrow AM, even if I have to recode it at a later date.

The XML should remain the same anyway, so don't worry about using it.

-Russ
  9. Subscriber Russ
    RHP Code Monkey
    26 Aug '05 11:16 / 1 edit
    I'll aim to get a quick and nasty version done tomorrow AM, even if I have to recode it at a later date.

The XML should remain the same anyway, so don't worry about using it.

-Russ
    Not exactly what you were after, but you can get all you want from these two scripts.

http://www.redhotpawn.com/xml/simple/clanchallenges_xml.php?clanid=4

http://www.redhotpawn.com/xml/simple/clanchallenge_xml.php?challengeid=43874

Quick note : if 'state' attribute 'winner' is 0, then the game was a draw.

-Russ

(and, yes, I did do a quick hack to get this done)
  10. Standard member Hegemon
    A Lost Bobby
    26 Aug '05 13:47
    Not exactly what you were after, but you can get all you want from these two scripts.

http://www.redhotpawn.com/xml/simple/clanchallenges_xml.php?clanid=4

http://www.redhotpawn.com/xml/simple/clanchallenge_xml.php?challengeid=43874

-Russ

(and, yes, I did do a quick hack to get this done)
    this is great Russ. it has all the information I need + some...

This will keep me occupied for yonks, and keep me off your back as promised until say March - June next year.

THANKYOU

cheers

hege
  11. Standard member Hegemon
    A Lost Bobby
    29 Aug '05 14:51

Russ,

I think there is a small error in the XML script:
    http://www.redhotpawn.com/xml/simple/clanchallenge_xml.php?challengeid=

Unfortunately "state" is "finished" only if either player won. Not if there is a draw. So it doesn't matter that if it's a draw the attribute "winner" is 0, because it's still considered "in progress".

ie the result for a draw is the same as for a game in progress.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but i couldn't seem to get around it. Could you please have a quick look at this and let me know.

Thanks,
    hege
  12. Subscriber Russ
    RHP Code Monkey
    29 Aug '05 18:15
    I just did a quick fix, so let me know if all isn't well. Sorry about the initial cock up.

-Russ
  13. Standard member Hegemon
    A Lost Bobby
    30 Aug '05 08:40
    Thanks russ, I think that works now...
  14. Subscriber ouroboros
    Digital Alchemist
    21 Sep '05 20:40
    When trying to view the clan XML in Firefox for cid 168, I received an error:

XML Parsing Error: not well-formed
    Line Number 1, Column 11985