Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
General Forum

General Forum

  1. Standard member sonhouseonline
    Fast and Curious
    18 Sep '17 15:00
    https://www.livescience.com/55485-amazing-women-history-forgot.html
  2. Standard member sonhouseonline
    Fast and Curious
    22 Sep '17 13:29
    Originally posted by @sonhouse
    https://www.livescience.com/55485-amazing-women-history-forgot.html
    bump
  3. Subscriber Ponderable
    chemist
    22 Sep '17 13:31
    Originally posted by @sonhouse
    bump
    Instead of linking a clickbait list, I would have liked if you just have given us the list
  4. Subscriber Ponderable
    chemist
    20 Nov '17 12:11
    Originally posted by @ponderable
    Instead of linking a clickbait list, I would have liked if you just have given us the list
    1 Sybil Lundington (1761-1839) hero of the US war of Independence (A bronze sculpture of her is depicted, so she can't really be forgotten, can she?)

    2 Elizabeth Jenning (1830-1901), protested segregation in NY 1854 (!)

    3 Ida Wells (1862-1931) writer, suffragist and civil rights activist in the USA

    4 Marie Stopes (1880-1958) received a PhD in botany 1904 (Universität München) pioneer of birth control in UK

    5 Clara Maass (1876-1901) fighting against yellow fever starting with the Spanish-American war

    6 Charlotte Edith Anderson Monture (1890-1996) first native Canadian woman to become a Nurse, serving in WW 1

    7 Chien-Shiung Wu (1912-1997) "First Lady of Physics", participant of Manhatten Project

    8 Nancy Grace Roman (b. 1925) "Mother of Hubble", succesful astro-phycisist

    9 Wangari Maathis (1940-2011) first African woamn to win the Nobel Prize

    10 Sylvia Ray Riviera (1951-2002) transgender activist
  5. Subscriber Ponderable
    chemist
    20 Nov '17 12:16
    What strikes is that 7 women on the lsit are from the USA
    One each from CAnada, the United Kingdom and Kenya.

    It is save to assume that Wanagri Maathi is not forgotten in Africa as a whole and not in Kenya specifically.
  6. Standard member wolfgang59
    Infidel
    23 Nov '17 23:33
    Originally posted by @sonhouse
    https://www.livescience.com/55485-amazing-women-history-forgot.html
    Marie Stopes is certainly not forgotten in UK.
    In UK they provide contraception, abortions, promote sexual health etc.
    I believe they have a charitable arm which helps Irish girls get to UK for abortions.
  7. Standard member sonhouseonline
    Fast and Curious
    24 Nov '17 03:52
    Originally posted by @ponderable
    What strikes is that 7 women on the lsit are from the USA
    One each from CAnada, the United Kingdom and Kenya.

    It is save to assume that Wanagri Maathi is not forgotten in Africa as a whole and not in Kenya specifically.
    You know, it's the same with the Miss Universe contest, it seems for some strange reason someone from Earth wins every time!
  8. 25 Nov '17 08:06
    Originally posted by @sonhouse
    You know, it's the same with the Miss Universe contest, it seems for some strange reason someone from Earth wins every time!
    How often have you come across an attractive female alien with a personality?
  9. 25 Nov '17 15:43 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by @drewnogal
    How often have you come across an attractive female alien with a personality?
    Never but..."the glass is half full".
  10. 25 Nov '17 20:15
    Originally posted by @great-big-stees
    Never but..."the glass is half full".
    Does Star Trek count?

    https://m.ranker.com/list/star-trek_s-hottest-women-of-all-time/switchdoctor
  11. 26 Nov '17 14:33
    Originally posted by @js357
    Does Star Trek count?

    https://m.ranker.com/list/star-trek_s-hottest-women-of-all-time/switchdoctor
    See...Optimism...
  12. Subscriber moonbus
    Uber-Nerd
    27 Nov '17 18:42 / 1 edit
    11. Rosa Parks. I hope not forgotten.
  13. 29 Nov '17 08:28 / 1 edit
    12. Florence Nightingale, (12 May 1820 – 13 August 1910), English social reformer and the founder of modern nursing - hopefully not forgotten.
  14. Standard member wolfgang59
    Infidel
    29 Nov '17 09:37 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by @torunn
    12. Florence Nightingale, (12 May 1820 – 13 August 1910), English social reformer and the founder of modern nursing - hopefully not forgotten.
    Probably a better Mathematician than nurse or social reformer.

    Also she is not forgotten as she has passed into mythology as your post demonstrates.
  15. Subscriber Ponderable
    chemist
    08 Dec '17 09:18
    Originally posted by @wolfgang59
    Probably a better Mathematician than nurse or social reformer.

    Also she is not forgotten as she has passed into mythology as your post demonstrates.
    mathematician or Economist? She sure could do the numbers, but she probably added not much to the methods, did she?