1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    04 Dec '13 22:57
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Ernest Hemingway referred to the plain sheet of paper staring up at a writer as the 'white bull'.
    So is anyone going to actually write a FRIGGING STORY?🙂
  2. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    04 Dec '13 23:55
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Here's one.

There was a guy on the internet who got all impatient. But if he had read the rules, he would have known that the deadline was not until next year. But, alas, he was not the type of person who read directions....so he got flustered, threw a fit, and passed out in a pool of his own mouth foam.

***** THE END *****
  3. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    05 Dec '13 00:23
    "Couple of entries now in keep them coming." -Silverstriker
  4. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    08 Dec '13 20:24
    Yes. Even the non-native speakers. So if you are a native speaker you should easily get at least a middle rank 😉
  5. In your face
    Moves
    08 Dec '13 20:43
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    Here's one.

There was a guy on the internet who got all impatient. But if he had read the rules, he would have known that the deadline was not until next year. But, alas, he was not the type of person who read directions....so he got flustered, threw a fit, and passed out in a pool of his own mouth foam.

***** THE END *****
    'Mouth froth'?

That's beautiful dude. 🙂
  6. Playing with matches
    Moves
    09 Dec '13 01:501 edit
    This is a true story and one worth reflecting upon as we gather with our families this holiday season.

Once upon a time there was a small boy named mud. This wasn't his real name, but, given that he couldn't remember his real name it seemed as good as any. Mud lived in a native village in modern day Canada. While his parentage, in a village with an incest rate closing on 100 percent, was uncertain, he was the youngest of seven. His younger brother had recently perished when he rolled off a bed onto a space heater while his parents were out on a three day bender.

I bought Mud and two of his siblings dinner in a little diner that had been built to serve dying forestry industry. Mud cried into his plate when I asked him where his parents were. He hadn't seen them for days and his eldest sister who usually took care of them had been beaten up so badly by her boyfriend that she couldn't get out of bed.

As I drove out of town I could see Mud standing in the street with $30 clutched in his too small fist. Snow blew across the road and obscured him for a moment. When it cleared he was gone.

Where do we find hope? Is it always there? Or does there have to be an ember to cultivate it from. I think the answer is that hope is an illusion, the last bastion of faith in an immoral world. Humanity is something we say we value, charity something we admire in others, but, we don't live these ideals. We could change mud's faith. It would take very little. He doesn't need money, at least this isn't the core of what he needs. He needs the physical manifestation of hope. A warm place to sleep, a good meal, safety from a raised fist, education and the courage to do what is needed.
  7. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    09 Dec '13 16:59
    Originally posted by Hand of Hecate
    This is a true story and one worth reflecting upon as we gather with our families this holiday season.

Once upon a time there was a small boy named mud. This wasn't his real name, but, given that he couldn't remember his real name it seemed as good as any. Mud lived in a native village in modern day Canada. While his parentage, in a village with ...[text shortened]... o sleep, a good meal, safety from a raised fist, education and the courage to do what is needed.
    Sometimes I get visions of you lost and adrift in a sea of pretend.
  8. Playing with matches
    Moves
    10 Dec '13 03:221 edit
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Sometimes I get visions of you lost and adrift in a sea of pretend.
    Ah yes, but, the truth is more interesting. What part of my story do you think is fake. There are dozens of native communities wallowing in alcoholism, abuse and neglect. Mud's story is hardly unique. The little baby rolling off the bed and dying on a space heater could be one of the most heart breaking things I'd ever heard.
  9. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    14 Dec '13 16:09
    Bump.

Less than one month until the deadline
  10. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    18 Dec '13 09:41
    “Let's face it, writing is hell.” -William Styron
  11. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    23 Dec '13 07:361 edit
    20 days still to go
  12. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    28 Dec '13 19:00

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

13. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    28 Dec '13 20:03
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    "Stop pushing!", I said to no one in particular as I stood at the edge of the platform waiting on the 5:20 to Hoboken.

And this is how great novels begin. 🙂
  14. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    28 Dec '13 20:12

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

15. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    28 Dec '13 21:45
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    I'm still pondering but will, when all is said and done submit one...I think. How bout you Drewnone?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree