1. Standard memberhuckleberryhound
    Devout Agnostic.
    DZ-015
    Moves
    27 Dec '16 08:16
    I bought my 5 year old daughter a chess board for Christmas. I will later offer her treats if she can recite the piece names and moving styles...I expect her to start beating me around age 7.
  2. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    27 Dec '16 08:50
    Originally posted by huckleberryhound
    I bought my 5 year old daughter a chess board for Christmas. I will later offer her treats if she can recite the piece names and moving styles...I expect her to start beating me around age 7.
    Is that how the great masters started? It sounds like a fun idea and not an expensive one.
  3. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    27 Dec '16 12:371 edit
    A gift that will keep on giving.

PS, and yes, expect to take a beating. Soon.
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    27 Dec '16 12:45
    Less modest man would have chosen tennis racket.
  5. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    27 Dec '16 23:29
    Small electric shocks after blunders will also keep her focussed.
  6. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    27 Dec '16 23:33
    Huck,

Why don't you get someone who actually knows how to play the game to teach her? πŸ˜‰

-VR
  7. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    01 Jan '17 08:07
    So Huck, tell us how things developed.
  8. Standard memberJerryH
    Hyperbole Happy
    Moves
    02 Jan '17 05:38
    Keep chess fun. Start with made up games that use proper chess piece movement. Knights chase pawns to the finish square, becomes queening square later on. Knights race course. Can you get there piece? with pawn obstacle courses.

When she is playing get a computer program with multiple levels. Do your best, find your playing level. Let her do her's. See how much she has to catch up. When she grows make a big deal out of it, help her want to get better.

Don't push her to play, let her take time off. You don't want chess to become a chore. Make it a reward for when the chores and schoolwork are done.

When she is ready, reasonably likely to win a few, take her to a local chess club. Let the guys there know in advance that your daughter will be playing. Choose players that want to help and won't be sore losers.

I would not expect her to be playing 1000 level chess at age 7. Whatever level, playing and enjoying, is a great accomplishment. Give her a good start and it will start to pay off around age 9,10,11. You are too strong a player to likely end up with a: my daughter beat me when she was 7 story. If it happens, great.

Don't ever be discouraged by her progress, she will sense it. She will never deserve to feel she has failed. Keep it a happy pastime until she makes it anything more.

I hope at least some of this unsolicited advice helps, if not well phooey πŸ™‚
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Jan '17 05:55
    Originally posted by JerryH
    Knights chase pawns to the finish square, becomes queening square later on. Knights race course. Can you get there piece? with pawn obstacle courses.
    This stuff sounds HARD. 😠
  10. Standard memberhuckleberryhound
    Devout Agnostic.
    DZ-015
    Moves
    02 Jan '17 18:19
    Originally posted by JerryH
    Keep chess fun. Start with made up games that use proper chess piece movement. Knights chase pawns to the finish square, becomes queening square later on. Knights race course. Can you get there piece? with pawn obstacle courses.

When she is playing get a computer program with multiple levels. Do your best, find your playing level. Let her do her's. See h ...[text shortened]... anything more.

I hope at least some of this unsolicited advice helps, if not well phooey πŸ™‚
    Thanks man. It is appreciated, and i'll give the knight game a shot.

They have a board in her after school, and she came to me asking to play (she saw me on this site). She'll be mercing me by the time she's 7, i'm sure.
  11. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    03 Jan '17 05:21
    ..., and she came to me asking to play (she saw me on this site).
    Could have been worse! πŸ˜€

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree