1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    28 Jan '20 10:16
    I hear we are approaching the latest point of no return. Sooner of later someone will get it right.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_dates_predicted_for_apocalyptic_events
  2. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    28 Jan '20 11:39
    @divegeester said
    I hear we are approaching the latest point of no return. Sooner of later someone will get it right.

If you dodn't Limit "someone" to human beings as we know them today...
  3. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    28 Jan '20 13:17
    @ponderable said
    If you dodn't Limit "someone" to human beings as we know them today...
    Providing the world still exists in another 100 years would be interesting to see what life would be like. I am sure people from the 15th or 16th centuries would be amazed at the way the world is today. I wonder if they would think it was was better or worst?

-VR
  4. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    28 Jan '20 13:40
    @very-rusty said
    Providing the world still exists in another 100 years would be interesting to see what life would be like. I am sure people from the 15th or 16th centuries would be amazed at the way the world is today. I wonder if they would think it was was better or worst?

-VR
    I think the later, with an "e" at the end, not a "t".
  5. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    28 Jan '20 13:54
    @great-big-stees said
    Stees I remeber my dad telling us about the good old days, he laughed because after WW2 he was awarded a council house, indoor toilet and bath water heater over the sink, back boiler to heat the storage tank 3 bedrooms, seperate wash house coal house and loo of a large kitchen with a walk in pantry....we moved out of a street house 2 up 2 down ,tin bath outside loo the only heating was the range in the front room, tin bath that you had to fill from pans heated on range 6 people in a 2 bedroom house, later he saw tv,colour tv ,central heating, cars that the workers could afford there were no good old days.
  6. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    28 Jan '20 13:55
    @great-big-stees said
    😛

-VR
  7. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    28 Jan '20 14:22
    @badradger said
    Stees I remeber my dad telling us about the good old days, he laughed because after WW2 he was awarded a council house, indoor toilet and bath water heater over the sink, back boiler to heat the storage tank 3 bedrooms, seperate wash house coal house and loo of a large kitchen with a walk in pantry....we moved out of a street house 2 up 2 down ,tin bath outside loo the only ...[text shortened]... e saw tv,colour tv ,central heating, cars that the workers could afford there were no good old days.
    You're right...just days.😉
  8. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    28 Jan '20 16:39
    @divegeester said

On the Oriental Institute's YouTube channel there's a video of a talk by Ian Morris [1] about his theory of why the West rules the world, for now. He thinks that the East, specifically China, will move ahead according to his model of human development. His basic idea is that what governs human development is geography, and what geography means - Mesopotamia was a bad place to be a farmer until they invented irrigation, at which point it became the best place to be a farmer.

Anyway, he mentions 1850 as the point at which Britain started to go into a long term decline. He gives a date of 1950 for the US.

There's also a video by Eric Cline [2] which talks about the Bronze age collapse. It's interesting because he gives a list of problems in the Near/Middle East from the time of his talk:

Recent (2015) News from the Mediterranean and Middle East:
    Greece's economy has tanked.
    Internal rebellions have recently engulfed Libya, Egypt, and Syria, with outsiders and foreign warriors fanning the flames.
    Turkey fears it will become involved, as does Israel.
    Jordan is crowded with refugees.
    Iran is bellicose and threatening, while Iraq is in turmoil.

Ancient (ca. 1200BC) News from the Mediterranean and Middle East:
    Greece's economy has tanked.
    Internal rebellions have recently engulfed Libya, Egypt, and Syria, with outsiders and foreign warriors fanning the flames.
    Turkey fears it will become involved, as does Israel.
    Jordan is crowded with refugees.
    Iran is bellicose and threatening, while Iraq is in turmoil.

He gives archeological evidence for the collapse, essentially earthquakes, climate change, war, rebellion, and famine and drought. They do not have good evidence for plague, but it's not ruled out.

Rome took about 200 years to collapse. Cline gives a period of 100 years for the Bronze age to collapse completely.

So, as far as the West is concerned the Apocalypse will happen in 2050.

[1] YouTube
    [2] YouTube
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    29 Jan '20 07:52
    @deepthought said
    So, as far as the West is concerned the Apocalypse will happen in 2050.
    2050 the world population: circa** 10 billion and by 2100 11 billion.
    Sustainable population is estimated** as being 9 to 10 billion.

**depending on source
  10. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    29 Jan '20 20:31
    @divegeester said
    2050 the world population: circa** 10 billion and by 2100 11 billion.
    Sustainable population is estimated** as being 9 to 10 billion.

**depending on source
    Then we have to take into account wars which could happen and viruses such as the one going on now that is in 14 Countries....China is claiming a 103 dead last I heard, but they sometimes don't quite tell it like it really is. So much could happen by 2050!!!

-VR
  11. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    30 Jan '20 13:36
    @very-rusty said
    Then we have to take into account wars which could happen and viruses such as the one going on now that is in 14 Countries....China is claiming a 103 dead last I heard, but they sometimes don't quite tell it like it really is. So much could happen by 2050!!!

-VR
    A year (2050) that is one I will most likely not see. 🤔
  12. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    30 Jan '20 13:411 edit
    @great-big-stees said
    A year (2050) that is one I will most likely not see. 🤔
    I don't believe I will either another 30 years would make me quite old. Don't see it happening.

More importantly what happens to the site after Russ and Chris are no longer around, will it be sold or passed on to children?

-VR
  13. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    30 Jan '20 13:45
    @very-rusty said
    I don't believe I will either another 30 years would make me quite old. Don't see it happening.

More importantly what happens to the site after Russ and Chris are no longer around, will it be sold or passed on to children?

-VR
    Well if the "Apocalypse" happens any time soon, relatively speaking, it will be a moot point won't it?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree