1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    08 Aug '19 19:01
    We’ve probably all thought about it at one time or another, that secret life somewhere, randomly travelling, no social media, no bills, working for cash, paying your way.

Ever done it?

Want to?
  2. Gothenburg
    Moves
    08 Aug '19 19:10
    @divegeester
    I would love to, for a while.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Aug '19 19:30
    @divegeester said
    We’ve probably all thought about it at one time or another, that secret life somewhere, randomly travelling, no social media, no bills, working for cash, paying your way.

Ever done it?

Want to?
    A real person who did this was Dick Proenneke. He gave up a successful material life at age 50 and moved to Alaska, off the grid, for many years.

The documentary "Alone in the Wilderness" is about his life. He built his own cabin, hunted, fished, and lived primarily off the land by himself.

Fascinating.
  4. Standard memberPatzering
    is getting old...
    Moves
    08 Aug '19 19:36
    I'd need a woman.
  5. Gothenburg
    Moves
    08 Aug '19 19:382 edits
    @patzering said
    I'd need a woman.
    There are women everywhere, don't worry about it - we are not talking about an isolated island, are we? The question is though - do they need you? 🙂
  6. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    08 Aug '19 19:39
    @patzering said
    I'd need a woman.
    I have to agree with you there! 😉

-VR
  7. Gothenburg
    Moves
    08 Aug '19 19:401 edit
    @very-rusty said
    I have to agree with you there! 😉

-VR
    ...or you...? 🙂
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    08 Aug '19 19:43
    @chaney3 said
    A real person who did this was Dick Proenneke. He gave up a successful material life at age 50 and moved to Alaska, off the grid, for many years.

The documentary "Alone in the Wilderness" is about his life. He built his own cabin, hunted, fished, and lived primarily off the land by himself.

Fascinating.
    Interesting, do you have a link to that documentary please?
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    08 Aug '19 19:46
    The internet has brought the world into our laps, for good and bad.

Sometimes I relish the thought of disappearing for a while, of living somewhere, on the road maybe, just being completely anonymous.
  10. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    08 Aug '19 19:50
    @divegeester said
    The internet has brought the world into our laps, for good and bad.

Sometimes I relish the thought of disappearing for a while, of living somewhere, on the road maybe, just being completely anonymous.
    I'd love to meet some of the people on here anonymously, only with me knowing who they are....Now that would be an interesting meet up.

-VR
  11. Standard memberPatzering
    is getting old...
    Moves
    08 Aug '19 19:51
    @very-rusty said
    I'd love to meet some of the people on here anonymously, only with me knowing who they are....Now that would be an interesting meet up.

-VR
    That would be stalking.
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Aug '19 19:52
    @divegeester said
    Interesting, do you have a link to that documentary please?
    A google search of his name, and the name of the documentary will provide links. (I still don't know how to attach).

Also, PBS airs this documentary a lot, and it's one of their most watched programs.
  13. santa cruz, ca.
    Moves
    08 Aug '19 20:12
    @divegeester said

Ever done it?

Want to?
    I'm too old to leave the comforts of home but I've thought about it

supertramp, into the wild
  14. Gothenburg
    Moves
    08 Aug '19 20:24
    @torunn said
    @divegeester
    I would love to, for a while.
    ... but I know I would never make it.
  15. RSA
    Moves
    08 Aug '19 20:45
    @divegeester said

Ever done it?

Want to?
    It's a fantasy of mine to have a cabin somewhere in North America, with a lake and forest nearby.

For one-fifth of my life thus far, I lived in a remote part of Canada which matches the above description. At my tiny school, there weren't enough children to fill one class per grade, so two grades were blended into one class.

It was an uncomplicated, peaceful lifestyle and those years were probably the best of my life. I say that having lived on 4 continents. When I moved back to the UK, I still spent quite a lot of time there in my holidays - it is only 6 hours across the Atlantic.

Give it a go if you feel like it. You might be surprised.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree