1. old pueblo
    Moves
    09 Jun '14 23:20
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    "[Spelling and grammar] are of no importance, as long as one's meaning is clear." -Orwell

OK, that's a 3rd interested party. I'll formulate an announcement. Stay tuned for a new thread.
    Orwell must've gone to my local school district! One of my fellow teachers was actually taught that! She was shocked to find that her students did badly on the writing portion of the English language proficiency test (to get them out of ELL classes) because of their poor spelling and grammar. She said that she was taught that you just had to get the idea across! I asked her if she graduated from DistrictName and she said yes. No wonder we have a crappy reputation! How the heck did she graduate college??????

One that note, more people need to be interested. I hate coming in third when there are only two other contenders! It also has to be somewhat reasonable, not something impossible to write about!
  2. old pueblo
    Moves
    09 Jun '14 23:21
    Originally posted by Sahuaro
    Orwell must've gone to my local school district! One of my fellow teachers was actually taught that! She was shocked to find that her students did badly on the writing portion of the English language proficiency test (to get them out of ELL classes) because of their poor spelling and grammar. She said that she was taught that you just had to get the idea ...[text shortened]... her contenders! It also has to be somewhat reasonable, not something impossible to write about!
    Reasonable: List the 5 reasons you are in awe of Sahuaro.

Unreasonable: Anything that I don't feel like writing about.
  3. Subscriberrookie54
    free tazer tickles..
    wildly content...
    Moves
    10 Jun '14 02:36
    Originally posted by Sahuaro
    List the 5 reasons you are in awe of Sahuaro.
    #1. her attitude...
    the way that she carries herself, visible even in the amorphous cyberworld...

#2. her screen name...
    coupled with her avatar, it's an indication of power...

#3. she is female...
    respect...

#4. her courage...
    she speaks her mind in the midst of the testosterone bath of the internet...

#5. she is a teacher...
    this quality ought prolly come first in this list...

but,
    i ain't all that smart...
  4. old pueblo
    Moves
    10 Jun '14 03:36
    Originally posted by rookie54
    #1. her attitude...
    the way that she carries herself, visible even in the amorphous cyberworld...

#2. her screen name...
    coupled with her avatar, it's an indication of power...

#3. she is female...
    respect...

#4. her courage...
    she speaks her mind in the midst of the testosterone bath of the internet...

#5. she is a teacher...
    this quality ought prolly come first in this list...

but,
    i ain't all that smart...
    You win this Prose Competition! Well done, grasshopper!
  5. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    15 Jul '14 16:571 edit
    Originally posted by hopscotch Thread 156735
    Back in the old old old days I used to have a keen interest in writing. Even my interdepartmental emails at work reeked with pretentious grandeur.

Then I discovered chess and became quite passionate about this stupid game. I am quite fickle about where my passions lie.

So I decided that in this place, these forums, where all ...[text shortened]... I hope to see it continue for a long time yet!

(reminder: Round12 - Thread 156409)
    Reminder: Big Dogg's summer prose comp "Votes are due by 12 AM on July 16th, GMT-6 time." Thread 159942

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree