1. Joined
    08 Dec '12
    Moves
    28 Jan '14 21:56
    Originally posted by ChessPraxis
    1. USA, that's it 🙂
    If you've been all around the USA that's plenty good.
  2. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    28 Jan '14 22:01
    Originally posted by KilgoreTrout15
    If you've been all around the USA that's plenty good.
    I've been to about half of the states, lived in five different ones. Locally I grew up around latinos. On the East Coast, African Americans. Now the home town has immigrants from Myanmar and Somalia. So different cultures etc.
    I don't travel well.
  3. Joined
    10 May '07
    Moves
    28 Jan '14 22:15
    I've been to about half of the states, lived in five different ones. Locally I grew up around latinos. On the East Coast, African Americans. Now the home town has immigrants from Myanmar and Somalia. So different cultures etc.
    I don't travel well.
    I prefer to go to places which are only 2-3 hours flight from here, at the most, so I have to stay in Europe. I would very much like to visit New York again though, maybe next year.
  4. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    29 Jan '14 11:36
    So, nobody here really been to Africa? (No, taking photos of the Giza pyramids in Egypt doesn't count). You guys are missing out!

My list:
    Swaziland
    Lesotho
    Namibia
    Botswana
    Zimbabwe
    Zambia
    Malawi
    Mozambique
    England
    Wales
    The Netherlands
    Germany

The next 15 years of my life I will definitely travel more.
    Business will probably take me deeper into Africa, and I want to take the family all over the world with the Far East and South America high on the list, so please keep the spare room tidy.
  5. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    29 Jan '14 12:57
    Originally posted by Crowley
    So, nobody here really been to Africa? (No, taking photos of the Giza pyramids in Egypt doesn't count). You guys are missing out!
    You know I've wanted to go for a while now but always seem to get drawn back to S. America, some day for sure. There's so many countries I want to see in East Africa.
  6. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    29 Jan '14 16:16
    Originally posted by Crowley
    So, nobody here really been to Africa?
    I don't look good in khakis and a pith helmet. 😕
  7. PenTesting
    Moves
    30 Jan '14 00:40
    I don't look good in khakis and a pith helmet. 😕
    You might not look good with machete chops to your neck either ...😀
  8. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    30 Jan '14 03:182 edits
    Originally posted by Trev33
    14 for me. Counting United Kingdom as one country, not England etc...

Have only managed 4 in Europe which sucks a bit.
    Only the USA-22 states (by steping foot) and Canada/Vancouver Island. I have a map that I have colored in where I have been.
  9. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    30 Jan '14 06:371 edit
    Originally posted by RBHILL
    Only the USA-22 states (by steping foot) and Canada/Vancouver Island. I have a map that I have colored in where I have been.
    If we are on to US states, I have

1. Alabama
    2. Alaska
    3. Arizona
    4. Arkansas
    5. California
    6. Colorado
    7. District of Colombia
    8. Florida
    9. Georgia
    10. Hawaii
    11. Illinois
    12. Iowa
    13. Kansas
    14. Kentucky
    15. Louisiana
    16. Maryland
    17. Massachusetts
    18. Michigan
    19. Mississippi
    20. Missouri
    21. Nevada
    22. New Mexico
    23. New York
    24. New Hampshire
    25. North Carolina
    26. Ohio
    27. Oklahoma
    28. Oregon
    29. Pennsylvania
    30. Puerto Rico (“unincorporated territory of the United States&rdquo😉
    31. South Carolina
    32. Tennessee
    33. Texas
    34. Utah
    35. Virginia
    36. Washington
    37. West Virginia
    38. Wisconsin

As many states as countries, but will be in Amsterdam in June.
  10. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    30 Jan '14 06:55
    Might be a different state but it's still America 😛

I feel the same about India though, it's so big and it can be so different from state to state. More so than America because there are so many different official languages.

Feels a shame that someone who has only been to Goa gets to write don't the same as someone who has traveled a lot within the country. Same with the States, I've only stepped outside the airport in Colorado and Florida but there's so many more different regions with different types of people etc in other states.

Not all of them are different of course.
  11. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    30 Jan '14 07:00
    Only in a select few number of cities though. Heard New York has more languages spoken than any other city in the world, around 80 I think.
    I imagine the big cities are where cultures mix. London is one such ex-US city. What country do you think is the biggest melting pot, and do you think it's a good thing?
  12. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    30 Jan '14 07:51
    Originally posted by JS357
    I imagine the big cities are where cultures mix. London is one such ex-US city. What country do you think is the biggest melting pot, and do you think it's a good thing?
    London is one such ex-US city - what?

I don't think you can say any one country is 'the biggest melting pot', for example you could say America but then visit a small backward assed city in the south, then you could say England and go to Birmingham 😵

For sure any major western city will have a large influx of foreigners who moved looking for a 'better life'.

Do I think it's a good thing that cultures mix? Of course, do I think they mix as much as they should considering the numbers involved - no.

People here are scared into thinking foreigners come over here either to steal, live on benefits (both) or take away jobs from the locals. Thank you the BNP, The Daily Mail, The Sun and The Star. As a result they often don't get treated as good they should.

No one talks about the fact that British and Irish people have been moving around the decades/centuries and a lot of locals wouldn't touch the jobs that some immigrants do.
  13. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    30 Jan '14 08:19
    Aye. I've been to Malawi and it was one of the coolest vacations I've ever had, on the banks and islands of the lake. Paradise.

I'd like to still tour North Mozam and then into Tanzania, with a quick jump over to Zanzibar, and Kenya.
  14. Joined
    10 May '07
    Moves
    30 Jan '14 09:03
    "...No one talks about the fact that British and Irish people have been moving around the decades/centuries and a lot of locals wouldn't touch the jobs that some immigrants do.
    Many Swedes moved to America when things were very bad here for poor people and for those who did not acknowledge the State Church as their faith. For them it became impossible to stay here.
  15. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    30 Jan '14 13:26
    I have a question. Why is the United States of America (USA) referred, mostly by people from countries other than those in the Americas, as America?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree