I preferred to be addressed as "Doctor", otherwise I would call her "old
    woman". She was not amused.
  3. Joined
    29 Nov '15
    Moves
    12 Feb '16 09:37
    Originally posted by FMF
    Go on, then. Tell us what happened.
    did you mean to miss the er from the title?
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    12 Feb '16 09:42
    Originally posted by GHOST HUNTER
    did you mean to miss the er from the title?
    No. If you have ever cocked up an interview and not got the job, this is the thread on which to tell the story.
  5. Joined
    29 Nov '15
    Moves
    12 Feb '16 09:47
    Originally posted by FMF
    No. If you have ever cocked up an interview and not got the job, this is the thread on which to tell the story.
    yes when i was 16, went for a saturday job in a local DIY shop, the boss said he had a choice of two, i stupidly asked him "who they were?"
    i never got the job.
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    12 Feb '16 10:161 edit
    "what's your greatest weakness?"

"honesty..."

"I don't think honesty is a weakness!"

"I don't give a s*** what you think"

(btw this is not something that happened to me)
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    12 Feb '16 10:19
    Originally posted by FMF
    I failed to get offered a place to read History at Kings College London after I blew the interview when caught in a lie. Trying to enhance the sound of my demonstrated 'genuine interest' in history I rattled off a series of things that were true.

However, under pressure from the panel to outdo those things ~ and edging into the realms of not strictly true ~ I claimed that I had worked as a historical tour guide at the cathedral in my home town. The truth of the matter is that I'd once walked round it with some aunts and uncles - taking refuge from a downpour - and pointed at the nave and the transept and showed them where they could light a candle. I led them to the annex where we had tea..

The panel seemed pleased. The interview proceeded. After about an hour, it came to an end, I stood, shook their hands, and made for the door. "Oh, one more thing..." said the professor in the middle. I then hovered awkwardly in the middle of the room as I failed to answer a string of questions which clearly showed that I did not know a single thing about the cathedral. Nothing at all.

No dates, no names, no idea who'd started building it, no contemporary events, no information about its construction, no idea about how the dissolution of the monasteries had impacted it, no idea about what was inside it, or who was buried there. I knew where the annex was but I did not tell them about it.

I was completely dismantled ~ standing in the middle of the room clutching a brolly ~ and had to end it rather unceremoniously by simply admitting I had fibbed and apologizing.

"OK, I see. Well, never mind. That will be all." The panel were looking down at the next candidate's application forms as I slipped out the door and fled the campus. I never set foot in Kings College again.
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    12 Feb '16 10:52
    Originally posted by FMF
    I failed to get offered a place to read History at Kings College London after I blew the interview when caught in a lie. Trying to enhance the sound of my demonstrated 'genuine interest' in history I rattled off a series of things that were true.

However, under pressure from the panel to outdo those things ~ and edging into the realms of [i]not strictly true ...[text shortened]... on forms as I slipped out the door and fled the campus. I never set foot in Kings College again.
    So you ARE a liar after all!!
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    12 Feb '16 11:21
    Originally posted by divegeester
    So you ARE a liar after all!!
    Well, I don't know. It was more of an extemporized inveracity, I feel ~ or perhaps a prevarication, so to speak ~ or maybe we can call it a taradiddle. Yes. I'll settle for that last one.
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    12 Feb '16 17:33
    So, looking at my resume, the HR lady said, is this all twu?

I said, 'do you have a speech impediment?'

Strangely enough, I didn't get the job.
  11. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    12 Feb '16 18:38
    Originally posted by FMF

However, under pressure from the panel to outdo those things ~ and edging into the realms of [i]not strictly true ...[text shortened]... on forms as I slipped out the door and fled the campus. I never set foot in Kings College again.
    Whatever our previous (and future) disagreements may have been (and might be), I feel your pain in this situation.
  12. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    12 Feb '16 19:17
    First words when you enter the interview room:

"Fat penguin."
    Confused looks will greet you, at which point you declare:
    "Just an ice breaker."
    If they laugh the job is in the bag; if they don't it will be the longest interview of your life.

I have never tried this.
  13. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    12 Feb '16 20:01
    Originally posted by FMF
    I was being interviewed at for a place at Hull University to study fine art. There were two interviewers, the first asked me what I thought of a public sculpture famous in my home town, before I answered he explained why he thought it was a waste of tax payers money....much to my shame, rather than offer my own opinion I just agreed with everything he said....then the second interviewer started talking about how much she liked it and how it benefited tax payers..........the next thing I did still makes me cringe, I changed my (fake opinion) and agreed with her....at that moment I knew I should have just got up and left.

I also once went for an interview for a seasonal job at Argos, fetching boxes for customers. The interviewer showed me how to fetch a box and take it to the customer, then asked if I had any questions. I replied 'no, not really, a monkey could do that'..........obviously not this monkey, I didnt get the job.
  14. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    12 Feb '16 20:174 edits
    So I get this interview with a guy who enjoyed the same sports team as I did. At the end of the interview, we talked a bit about one of the games they won during a down year when the team was horrible. I noted how a particular running back was on fire that game even though there was virtually no blocking, no decent passing, and they could not kick a field goal to save their life. Despite all of the teams failings, the running back still managed to set a new school rushing record,. yet they barely won the game.

He then turned to me and said, "My son blocked for him that game".

What are the odds?
  15. Joined
    29 Mar '09
    Moves
    12 Feb '16 22:42
    NASA was rehashing contracts with un named corporations in the rocket propulsion industry. One contract after the space shuttle program was over, it was agreed that NASA would sign if NASA would be allowed to appoint an engineering design liaison to oversee the work.

They asked many things in the interview and one was concerned with the engineering code of ethics. I was asked if I agreed with them and I said yes. They asked if I have had any background in propulsion research and I said yes. Of course they wanted some details and I was reluctant as my experience was with a firm in Russia. I told them I had been the head engineer in charge of the design and production of rocket engines. They wanted more info and asked about the technical specs and if the program was successful. I gave them an idea of the size of the engines and that not only were they successful but they had been used and were very reliable. I told them I was not going to divulge much more information than that and the guy at the head of the table said they would look favorably on me for the position if I would give them the information so they could call and verify what I had said. Reluctantly I gave them the number and told them it was in Russia. Everyone looked around at each other eyebrows high and thanked me and showed me the door.

Big mistake giving them the contact info. As it turns out there were still several of the rocket engines we had built in storage in Russia. Instead of renewing the contract with the unnamed corporation they dealt directly with the Russians and got the engines for pennies on the dollar. No contract so no job.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree