1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    16 Nov '17 16:402 edits
    https://phys.org/news/2017-11-companies-tools-block-spam.html

I noticed a change already, I have T Mobile and now a number of these calls are labled "Scam Likely''
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    16 Nov '17 21:411 edit
    Originally posted by @sonhouse
    https://phys.org/news/2017-11-companies-tools-block-spam.html

I noticed a change already, I have T Mobile and now a number of these calls are labled "Scam Likely''
    I had one today, I play with them until they lose interest and hang up. Then I block the number. No extra software needed.
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    16 Nov '17 22:13
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    I had one today, I play with them until they lose interest and hang up. Then I block the number. No extra software needed.
    Blocking the number is a waste of time, they generate thousands of numbers and one block they just laugh at. I have done that at times, getting to an interviewer then telling them to put me on a do not call list, SURE I'll do that right now. Right. Now I just X out any odd area code, especially 633.
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    17 Nov '17 06:042 edits
    Blocking the number is a waste of time, they generate thousands of numbers and one block they just laugh at. I have done that at times, getting to an interviewer then telling them to put me on a do not call list, SURE I'll do that right now. Right. Now I just X out any odd area code, especially 633.
    This is like your ongoing computer virus soap opera!

No one is suggesting asking them to remove you from their calling list, I didn’t say that. I said play with them and waste their time so they put YOU on a do not call list. Then keep blocking the number.

Get your number put ex-directory and assign it to whatever telephone calling preference services you have in Ohioland.

For someone who keeps telling us you “worked for NASA” you certainly seem to have a lot of difficulty with modern household technology

😛
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    17 Nov '17 12:325 edits
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    This is like your ongoing computer virus soap opera!

No one is suggesting asking them to remove you from their calling list, I didn’t say that. I said play with them and waste their time so they put YOU on a do not call list. Then keep blocking the number.

Get your number put ex-directory and assign it to whatever telephone calling preference serv ...[text shortened]... for NASA” you certainly seem to have a lot of difficulty with modern household technology

😛
    Ohioland? I don't live in Ohio, don't know why you would think that.

I tell them to put me on do not call and they say sure but the calls continue because like I said, they have literally thousands of phone numbers available for scams.

I tried talking to them and annoying them but in my case it did not work. I assume you figure I am stupid or senile but I can assure you I am neither. If you want, challenge me to a game, ok. What I said was T Mobile has now started adding the words 'Scam likely' to some numbers and I just x them out.

I don't really want to play games with them and talk each one into putting me on a do not call list. I want to be able to not have to deal with them at all. Have one right now on my cell.

BTW, I worked at Goddard Space Flight center on Apollo Tracking and Timing which you can believe or not, I don't give a shyte.
    I also was in the USAF, 4 years, on an elite squadron based on high entrance test scores, very high in fact and I didn't even know for decades it was an elite outfit, all high intelligent dudes. They just issued orders to go to a year long tech school and I was totally ignorant of the meaning of the assignment.
    I also worked at the Pentagon and AUTEC on Andros Island in the Bahamas, Gargle it if you don't know what that is and my guess is you never heard of it or TOTO, the reason AUTEC is there. You probabaly don't even know what country AUTEC belongs to.

But hey, I'm the one tech challenged, right?
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    18 Nov '17 00:08
    Ohioland? I don't live in Ohio, don't know why you would think that.

I tell them to put me on do not call and they say sure but the calls continue because like I said, they have literally thousands of phone numbers available for scams.

I tried talking to them and annoying them but in my case it did not work. I assume you figure I am stupid or senile ...[text shortened]... y don't even know what country AUTEC belongs to.

But hey, I'm the one tech challenged, right?
    I sorry I made you feel like you had to give me your CV 😕
  7. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    18 Nov '17 00:29
    Robo...don't answer.
  8. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    18 Nov '17 01:02
    I'm getting a bit tired of all the internet/phone/connected world stuff. It's brought us:
    online scams
    robo-diallers
    inescapable advertising
    streaming-movie internet slowdowns
    viruses, Trojans and ransomware
    password after password after password
    facebook and all its ilk
    selfies
    and SPAM, SPAM, SPAM ...

I used to be a fan of technology, but I'm starting to wonder if it's time to revolt and become a luddite. 😠
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    18 Nov '17 12:46
    Originally posted by @great-big-stees
    Robo...don't answer.
    Several times I have called the number back out of curiosity and it usually comes back with a message from the phone company, Not a valid number or some variation on that.
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    18 Nov '17 12:46
    Originally posted by @kewpie
    I'm getting a bit tired of all the internet/phone/connected world stuff. It's brought us:
    online scams
    robo-diallers
    inescapable advertising
    streaming-movie internet slowdowns
    viruses, Trojans and ransomware
    password after password after password
    facebook and all its ilk
    selfies
    and SPAM, SPAM, SPAM ...

I used to be a fan of technology, but I'm starting to wonder if it's time to revolt and become a luddite. 😠
    OMG, you mean. Go all the way back to FLIP PHONES?
  11. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    18 Nov '17 13:58
    I don't usually answer calls from an unknown number.
    After a few rings the call goes to my voice mail and they can leave a message.
    Krap calls usually do not leave a message!
    End of problem.

But I should add that I do not get very many calls anyway. I suppose if I were getting them on a constant basis it would get annoying before long.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree