1. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    08 Oct '15 22:351 edit
    Two Relevant Questions

1) To what extent has the advent of social media displaced interest in online correspondence chess sites with public forums since the inception of Red Hot Pawn on February 21, 2001? 2) What marketing strategies and implementation tactics would you recommend for Russ to consider? Thanks.
  2. hirsute rooster
    Moves
    08 Oct '15 23:03
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    [b]Two Relevant Questions

1) To what extent has the advent of social media displaced interest in online correspondence chess sites with public forums since the inception of Red Hot Pawn on February 21, 2001? 2) What marketing strategies and implementation tactics would you recommend for Russ to consider? Thanks.[/b]
    1) Yes.
    2) Ban lists
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Oct '15 23:201 edit
    What marketing strategies and implementation tactics would you recommend for Russ to consider?.
    I'd watch out Grampy Bobby. Suzianne might come and say something like this to you: "You're like the little kid with a Napoleon complex and a crush on the teacher jumping up volunteering to clean erasers after school, before she even asks." 😀
  4. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    09 Oct '15 00:54
    As Yogi Berra used to say this is like deja vu all over again. It all sounds/looks so familiar.🙄
  5. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    09 Oct '15 01:44
    Originally posted by FMF
    I'd watch out Grampy Bobby. Suzianne might come and say something like this to you: "You're like the little kid with a Napoleon complex and a crush on the teacher jumping up volunteering to clean erasers after school, before she even asks." 😀
    You know, there's no real reason to say that to anyone except you, since you're the one I was talking about when I said that, and you're the only user here that it actually fits.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    09 Oct '15 02:24
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    You know, there's no real reason to say that to anyone except you, since you're the one I was talking about when I said that, and you're the only user here that it actually fits.
    Are you sure?
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    09 Oct '15 03:121 edit
    Originally posted by orangutan
    1) Yes.
    2) Ban lists
    A list of members currently banned from posting, or banned from the site?
  8. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    09 Oct '15 03:54
    Russ desperately needs a foot massage, a spooning session, and a lick
    of his balding head.

Bobby, since you seem so interested in 'helping' Russ, how about
    providing for the aforementioned needs he has?
  9. Joined
    23 Nov '09
    Moves
    09 Oct '15 11:34
    Originally posted by Seitse
    Russ desperately needs a foot massage, a spooning session, and a lick
    of his balding head.

Bobby, since you seem so interested in 'helping' Russ, how about
    providing for the aforementioned needs he has?
    I read "lick of his balls .."😞
  10. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    09 Oct '15 15:271 edit
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby (OP)
    Two Relevant Questions

1) To what extent has the advent of social media displaced interest in online correspondence chess sites with public forums since the inception of Red Hot Pawn on February 21, 2001? 2) What marketing strategies and implementation tactics would you recommend for Russ to consider? Thanks.
    29 social networks that have at least one million visitors per day March 25, 2011

"Although Facebook is by far the largest social network out there, the social network sphere is large and has a ton of players. We were curious about which of them are the most active. To find these sites, we decided to focus on the number of daily visitors to each site.

The number of (unique) daily visitors is an interesting metric since it doesn’t rely on registered users (who may or may not be active) or monthly visitors, where some may visit the site as seldom as once per month. In short, you get a good idea of the day-to-day activity on a site.

Number of visitors per day

We found 29 social networks that currently have one million or more unique visitors per day. For traffic data, we used Google Trends for Websites.

Note that these numbers are estimates made by Google from a variety of data sources, so they will not be 100% correct, but should still give us a good idea of how the sites compare...." http://royal.pingdom.com/2011/03/25/social-networks-one-million-visitors-per-day/

Third Relevant Question: How many visitors would you estimate play correspondence chess here and/or contribute to the public forums offered on Red Hot Pawn per day as of October, 2015 compared with March, 2011 [four years ago when this "traffic data" study was published]? My thanks to those of you who do in fact care about the long term online market viability of Red Hot Pawn.
  11. Subscriberrookie54
    free tazer tickles..
    wildly content...
    Moves
    09 Oct '15 17:45
    To what extent has the advent of social media displaced interest in online correspondence chess sites with public forums
    this IS social media...

yer question is not relevant...
  12. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    09 Oct '15 18:19
    Originally posted by rookie54
    this [b]IS social media...

yer question is not relevant...[/b]
    Do you "care about the long term online market viability of Red Hot Pawn." ?
  13. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    09 Oct '15 18:31
    It doesn't keep me awake nights. Do you care about the folks who are just here to play chess?
  14. Subscriberrookie54
    free tazer tickles..
    wildly content...
    Moves
    09 Oct '15 18:46
    not at all...
    as a matter of fact, if you look at gaming websites in general, you find there is no long term viability...
    much like a car, or a boat, they depreciate and decline, and, after their usefulness is over and gone, they are sold for scrap...

i have a relevant question for you,
    do you ever do anything at all just for fun???
    some days i get the impression that if you aren't finding a way to make a dollar appear out of the air yer gonna cry...
    cut loose, dude...
    the universe won't end today, or tomorrow, or, if it does, what the heck???
    go get yer tux dirty...
    at one of them fancy balls, corner the coatcheck girl in the broom closet and bang her silly...
    relish the jizz stains on yer pants as you stroll around with another glass of champagne...
    grin when yer eyeballed with disgust...
    pick yer nose and fart,
    those that mind don't count, and those that count don't mind...
  15. Standard membermobster kitty
    mafia chief
    the safe house
    Moves
    09 Oct '15 18:49
    to find success in the correspondence chess world and to try to compete with social forums requires one to put aside ego.

ego is the concept that russ sees when he looks at "his site".

instead, look at the competitors.

who domintates the correspondence chess market and why ?

the why is obvious to one who has no agenda,

chesscube has a dynamic interface. while it is not correspondence chess it has a strong visual face.

gameknot is wealthy. it is correspondence only, unlike chesscube.

two diametric opposites, yet the two strongest sites. what do they have in common ?

blackness.

then there are the weaker sites, because they are free. queenalice and their sisters. they compete for they are free.

you cannot compete with "free" unless you offer something they do not offer. first, the "free sites" are artistically weak, thus i return to

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree