1. Joined
    18 May '05
    Moves
    13 Dec '05 20:37
    What would happen if a few members of one household decided to subscribe to the site.

If you had a father, mother and a son all wanting to play this chess site but using different user names hence building there own profile, would this be classed as a single player using multiple names or would the family of players be approached first without an automatic ban??

Russ.... any comments??

Further to this.... I play my chess from work on the works computer.. we all have different passwords to logon but I am the only member of this site. What would happen if my collegues too decided to play from this computer? this could be upto 10 different players using the same computer??

Thanks in advance!
  2. Standard membercelticcountry
    Copyright ©2001-2006
    Eastbourne
    Moves
    13 Dec '05 21:09
    With just a basic bit of detective work.The mods would work it out if you were using multiple accounts.

Its ok to have multiple people using the same PC.

Its NOT ok to create multiple accounts.

I used to play from an internet cafe.and I| never had any problems.
  3. Joined
    18 May '05
    Moves
    13 Dec '05 21:16
    Originally posted by celticcountry
    With just a basic bit of detective work.The mods would work it out if you were using multiple accounts.

Its NOT ok to create multiple accounts.

I used to play from an internet cafe.and I| never had any problems.
    I suppose its OK to play from an internet cafe as its unlikely someone else will use that computer to play on this site.

It was just a question really!! my wife thinks im a sad bastard for playing this game! 😠 😉
  4. Standard membercelticcountry
    Copyright ©2001-2006
    Eastbourne
    Moves
    13 Dec '05 21:37
    My wife seems ok with me playing it cos I aint that keen on the telly and I dont smoke weed.
  5. Joined
    23 Oct '05
    Moves
    14 Dec '05 20:11
    Originally posted by celticcountry
    Is that a fact ?? I have in fact the same question as rmacken, since my son is contemplating to also join RHP. I was indeed wondering on what criteria multiple account usage is established; I supposed one might be the originating IP address. I wouldn't want to be convicted for ToS violation and be ousted here on those grounds.

Russ, can you confirm ?
  6. Standard membercelticcountry
    Copyright ©2001-2006
    Eastbourne
    Moves
    14 Dec '05 21:31
    Originally posted by sevenstar
    Is that a fact ?? I have in fact the same question as rmacken, since my son is contemplating to also join RHP. I was indeed wondering on what criteria multiple account usage is established; I supposed one might be the originating IP address. I wouldn't want to be convicted for ToS violation and be ousted here on those grounds.

Russ, can you confirm ?
    i cant speak for Russ.

But I am pretty sure multiply account creators dont pay subscription.
  7. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    15 Dec '05 10:13
    I don't want to discuss how I spot these, but let me say this. IP address IS a factor in highlighting potential problems, but it is not used alone.

Therefore, a family can all create accounts on RHP and play from a single PC, it is not a problem. But just be sure that only one person uses each account.

-Russ
  8. Joined
    23 Oct '05
    Moves
    15 Dec '05 18:57
    Originally posted by Russ
    Therefore, a family can all create accounts on RHP and play from a single PC, it is not a problem.
    ok, clear. Thanks.
  9. Standard memberRookRAK
    Out of drinks
    On Clique Beach
    Moves
    17 Dec '05 04:12
    Originally posted by rmacken
    What would happen if a few members of one household decided to subscribe to the site.

If you had a father, mother and a son all wanting to play this chess site but using different user names hence building there own profile, would this be classed as a single player using multiple names or would the family of players be approached first without an automati ...[text shortened]... omputer? this could be upto 10 different players using the same computer??

Thanks in advance!
    My son and I are both RHP members, and often share a PC. Thus far no problems.

The only confusion was a logistical one. When one of us sits down at the computer, you had to be careful about whether you were logged in as yourself or the other person. Of course as soon as you looked at the game list it would be obvious it wasn't you. We solved it by making a bookmark for each of us, but he always uses RedHotPawn and I always use TimeForChess. That way it looks different enough that we can't get confused, and with Firefox we can each have our own tab for our chess window open all the time.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree