Subscriberjosephw
Help 15 Jul '22 19:54
  1. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    15 Jul '22 19:54
    Above the game board doesn't work!?
    Is it my ten year old iPad? Apparently the hardware doesn't support new updates. Or is it this site?
  2. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    15 Jul '22 20:131 edit
    @josephw
    Chat during a game is working fine for me.
    I'm on an old HP laptop running windows 7 and I'm not having any problems.
    You can only send a message when it's your turn to move, and the message is sent along with your move, which you probably already know.

Does your opponent send any messages to you when they move?
    Do they have you on their 'ignore' list?

Have you tried to send a private message to anyone? You should be able to do that at any time, even to someone you are not currently playing.

Does any of this help?
    <EDIT> I just sent you a private message. See if you can respond to that.
  3. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    15 Jul '22 21:00
    @mwmiller said
    @josephw
    Chat during a game is working fine for me.
    I'm on an old HP laptop running windows 7 and I'm not having any problems.
    You can only send a message when it's your turn to move, and the message is sent along with your move, which you probably already know.

Does your opponent send any messages to you when they move?
    Do they have you on their 'ignore' list? ...[text shortened]...
    Does any of this help?
    <EDIT> I just sent you a private message. See if you can respond to that.
    The chat feature used to work years ago, but recently it doesn't.

The individual I'm playing a game with now just started the game and sent a message above it. I made a move, but couldn't get the chat button to allow me to reply. So I PM'ed him instead.
  4. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    16 Jul '22 00:04
    @josephw
    I think you just need to put your message together that you plan to send, then when it's ready, make your move and when you submit it, the message and move are sent at the same time. If you make your move and submit it, you cannot then open the chat window. You will have to wait until it's your turn to move.
  5. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    16 Jul '22 01:24
    @mwmiller said
    @josephw
    I think you just need to put your message together that you plan to send, then when it's ready, make your move and when you submit it, the message and move are sent at the same time. If you make your move and submit it, you cannot then open the chat window. You will have to wait until it's your turn to move.
    I really appreciate your help sir, but I've used the chat feature hundreds of times. When it was working.

But now, when I tap on the chat button, it doesn't show the field in which a message can be typed.

That's the problem.
  6. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    16 Jul '22 08:19
    If you've changed your device, check that popups are not blocked.
  7. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    16 Jul '22 18:11
    @kewpie said
    If you've changed your device, check that popups are not blocked.
    Same device. The problem started a few years back.

What popups? I just renewed my subscription. No popups. The chat feature still doesn't work. 😕
  8. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    17 Jul '22 02:161 edit
    @josephw said
    Same device. The problem started a few years back.

What popups? I just renewed my subscription. No popups. The chat feature still doesn't work. 😕
    It seems to be an Apple- only problem because the rest of us don't have it (microsoft and android I mean).
  9. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    17 Jul '22 11:031 edit
    @josephw

What iPad model is it? (Model number from the back)

This is almost certainly related to Apple dropping support for older iPads, as they tend to do, and an update for the web site 2 years back did drop support for very old devices.

One solution, is to try the app? The chat should work fine on that - but again, I can't guarantee it will be installable on older devices.

Search "RedHotPawn" on the app store to get that.

Regardless, let me know what model number it is, and I can investigate further and provide more details.
  10. Northamptonshire, UK
    Moves
    04 Aug '22 22:30
    If it helps, I own a 4th generation ipad which I use for RHP and which hasn't been supported since I can't remember when. RHP functionality is indeed very limited (no chat, flip board, I can't resign - the Clock, Notes, Messages and Game Log functions also don't work, while I can strangely offer and claim a draw).... but I CAN at least move pieces!

I also play on an iPad Mini 4 which is fine, a laptop, and of course a smartphone. Afraid to say I still prefer to play on the website rather than the app, but there you go.

FW

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree