1. SubscriberMctayto
    Highlander
    Planet Earth
    Moves
    27 Mar '09 23:48
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    Here's another fun one:

[fen]3Q4/k7/p1P5/Pp6/K7/2q5/8/8 w - - 0 1[/fen]
    Black has just played ...b7-b5+, and both players think that black has checkmate.

And then someone on a forum says "look up the en passant rule!" thus allowing white to win instead of black, even though both were ignorant of the rule.
    Not true as the game would show as in progress and white to move 😛
    That said black would win if white could not discover what move was available
  2. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    28 Mar '09 05:35
    Originally posted by KingDavid403
    Yes I did. But it does not relate to this game or problem. Because it's a hypothesis. And I never responded to a game that had the set pieces of your hypothesis. So you see it does not relate.
    LOL! Brilliant reasoning, Holmes. 🙄
  3. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    28 Mar '09 05:361 edit
    Originally posted by Mctayto
    Not true as the game would show as in progress and white to move 😛
    That said black would win if white could not discover what move was available
    Originally posted by Diner Hank
    6145235 - this is the game.

I'm white and I believe my opponent is in checkmate, but for some reason it says opponents move....

Have I missed something????
  4. Standard memberKingDavid403
    King David
    Planet Earth.
    Moves
    28 Mar '09 12:239 edits
    LOL! Brilliant reasoning, Holmes. 🙄
    Thank you. Just sticking with the facts and reality about a past tense situation I've always thought is the only answer. Not what ifs, or lets says. Thanks again.

Can you show us a real game that happened as your hypothesis game? And don't forget that both players don't know the en passant rule also.
    LOL 🙄
  5. SubscriberMctayto
    Highlander
    Planet Earth
    Moves
    28 Mar '09 15:32
    Originally posted by Diner Hank
    [b]6145235 - this is the game.

I'm white and I believe my opponent is in checkmate, but for some reason it says opponents move....

Have I missed something????
    [/b]
    If the opponent did not find the move then he would get timed out. eg the outcome would not be affected
  6. Standard memberclandarkfire
    Grammar Nazi
    Auschwitz
    Moves
    28 Mar '09 16:37
    Let us clarify this once and for all. I have sent feedback on a situation involving the same position, (about three months ago.) I was told just one sentence - or at least only one important one. "Every player, in correspondence chess, has the right to know the rules."
  7. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    29 Mar '09 02:55
    Originally posted by Mctayto
    If the opponent did not find the move then he would get timed out. eg the outcome would not be affected
    But it would be affected if someone gives a hint on a forum that causes him to learn of the move and thus continue playing when he would otherwise time out.

Once he takes en passant, it's possible that he comes back and wins the game later on.
  8. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    29 Mar '09 02:57
    Thank you. Just sticking with the facts and reality about a past tense situation I've always thought is the only answer.
    That's because your thinking is limited.
  9. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    29 Mar '09 02:58
    Originally posted by clandarkfire
    Let us clarify this once and for all. I have sent feedback on a situation involving the same position, (about three months ago.) I was told just one sentence - or at least only one important one. "Every player, in correspondence chess, has the right to know the rules."
    Who sent the feedback?

I would think the examples I have presented show the folly of such a policy.
  10. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    29 Mar '09 03:50
    I'm sorry I over reacted. I took it personal because I made the mistake. And my intentions were to only help without breaking any rules..
    I do see your point and I think you and Monty are mostly right. As I said before I will be more careful in the future. I'm moving on now. 🙂 And it might be by boat due to the flooding going on here. 😲 :'(
    you didn't make a mistake, don't let them think you have.

if this came up again i would tell the player why his game wasn't over. every player has a right to know the rules and if they ask a perfectly reasonable question i will always answer it. it wasn't even the guy's move, it's was his opponents and he even said he would tell his opponent of the move so they could continue the game.

chess players and phalp need to lighten up. tis only a game and this ISN'T an otb tournament where money is involved.
  11. Standard memberKingDavid403
    King David
    Planet Earth.
    Moves
    29 Mar '09 04:06
    That's because your thinking is limited.
    And you're in LA La land with your fake and phony scenarios of chess.

Can you show us a real game that happened as your hypothesis game? And don't forget that both players don't know the en passant rule also.
  12. Standard memberKingDavid403
    King David
    Planet Earth.
    Moves
    29 Mar '09 04:127 edits
    Who sent the feedback?

Who sent the feedback? Read numskull. 🙄

Your examples are fake and phony and most likely never happened. How could they show anyone anything. Except that you're in a dream world and that you think you're a legend. In your own mind.
    And who cares what you think. I sure don't.
    Still having fun with stirring up the pot with this??
  13. Standard memberKingDavid403
    King David
    Planet Earth.
    Moves
    29 Mar '09 04:24
    Originally posted by trev33
    you didn't make a mistake, don't let them think you have.

if this came up again i would tell the player why his game wasn't over. every player has a right to know the rules and if they ask a perfectly reasonable question i will always answer it. it wasn't even the guy's move, it's was his opponents and he even said he would tell his opponent of the move so ...[text shortened]... to lighten up. tis only a game and this ISN'T an otb tournament where money is involved.
    chess players and phalp need to lighten up. tis only a game and this ISN'T an otb tournament where money is involved. I agree. Thanks.
  14. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    29 Mar '09 17:43
    Who sent the feedback?

@clandarkfire:

More specifically [for some of the more challenged members in the audience], who was it that told you [feedback to your feedback 😵] that "every player has a right to know the rules"?
  15. Standard memberKingDavid403
    King David
    Planet Earth.
    Moves
    29 Mar '09 17:51
    @clandarkfire:

More specifically [for some of the more challenged members in the audience], who was it that told you [feedback to your feedback 😵] that "every player has a right to know the rules"?
    Oh yeah right, Nice way to play that one off.
    If there's anyone that's a more challenged member it's you. Who do you think sent the feedback to his feedback. I would assume Russ or Chris or some other Qualified staff member here at RHP. Wouldn't you think? 🙄

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree