Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Help Forum

Help Forum

1. 10 Feb '18 16:06
    I am playing a game in which I am black and in check but I think it is actually checkmate as I see no move that will allow me to either move my king without putting myself into checkmate or a move that will allow me to remove the threat (white pawn). Has anyone been in this situation? Is there possibly a "glitch"? I am stumped. 🙄
    Yours,
    Steve (AKA: Great Big Stees)
  2. Subscriber Kewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    11 Feb '18 01:27 / 1 edit
    There's definitely a move, this has never been found to be a "glitch" in this forum. Have you checked for en passant and all possible captures?
  3. Subscriber venda
    Dave
    11 Feb '18 14:25
    Originally posted by @great-big-stees
    I am playing a game in which I am black and in check but I think it is actually checkmate as I see no move that will allow me to either move my king without putting myself into checkmate or a move that will allow me to remove the threat (white pawn). Has anyone been in this situation? Is there possibly a "glitch"? I am stumped. 🙄
    Yours,
    Steve (AKA: Great Big Stees)
    What's the game number Stees? and how come you've time for chess while you're still alive in WWG?(last bit is a private thing)
  4. Subscriber venda
    Dave
    12 Feb '18 09:49
    The answer was en passant Kewps.I've told Steve after he sent me a pm about it.
  5. Subscriber Kewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    12 Feb '18 12:56
    Originally posted by @venda
    The answer was en passant Kewps.I've told Steve after he sent me a pm about it.
    I've been on the receiving end of one of those, and it took me forever to figure it out.
  6. Standard member wolfgang59
    Infidel
    27 Feb '18 10:52
    Originally posted by @kewpie
    There's definitely a move, this has never been found to be a "glitch" in this forum. Have you checked for en passant and all possible captures?
    Technically against the rules. If he cannot find a way out of check he loses on time.
    You just helped him in active game. 😲
  7. Subscriber Kewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    27 Feb '18 12:02
    I disagree. I simply rejected the glitch possibility and listed other possibilities. But you could say venda did that because venda said so himself.
  8. Subscriber venda
    Dave
    27 Feb '18 19:35
    Originally posted by @wolfgang59
    Technically against the rules. If he cannot find a way out of check he loses on time.
    You just helped him in active game. 😲
    Technically you are correct and perhaps I shouldn't have pointed him in the right direction over the en passant thing.
    Good luck with the operation