1. Joined
    16 Mar '02
    Moves
    05 Apr '04 22:18
    The idea would be to use a little javascript code in order to be automatically notified of your opponents move - gameknot does this and i'm sure that this little push would lessen unnecessary pulling considerablly hence a lighter load on the server. The main benefit to us redhotters however woulld be a more pleasant chessing experience. Let's all push for this!
  2. Joined
    19 Aug '02
    Moves
    06 Apr '04 01:22
    For your information, this feature is currentl;y available:

Use 'Receive email move notifications for your opponents' moves?' found in 'My Site settings'

-trekkie
  3. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    06 Apr '04 03:15
    I shut off the email, and just check my games page. Short cut right on my desktop.

I have it organized by date moves, so the last moves are at the top. That way I know who's moving.

I might be interested if this Java tool told you how much time is running off your late move games... with a link right to the game that is ticking away. How long ago someone made a move against you.... and tell you if you won a chess game or Clan challenge. There is lots of info I'd like and am to lazy to check!

P-

4. Joined
    16 Mar '02
    Moves
    06 Apr '04 12:10
    The solution isn't email notifications as this leads to be quite cumbersome if one is playing regularly. At the moment I am also checking "My Games" in order to check for moves. The javascript code works by checking automatically for the next move without the need for downloading a whole page. Lets say it does this repeatedly at short intervals and then pulls up the game in question. This eliminates the need for the player checking for his next move. Perhaps it's not quite push technology but at least it appears to be which is good enough.
  5. Standard membergotti2000
    The winemaker
    Austria
    Moves
    06 Apr '04 12:24
    Originally posted by stalebread
    The solution isn't email notifications as this leads to be quite cumbersome if one is playing regularly. At the moment I am also checking "My Games" in order to check for moves. The javascript code works by checking automatically for the next move without the need for downloading a whole page. Lets say it does this repeatedly at short intervals and the ...[text shortened]... ove. Perhaps it's not quite push technology but at least it appears to be which is good enough.
    I find that approach quite usefull as well. While surfing on the Web get an alert that there is a move waiting ...

There was the idea of a 'Red Hot Probe' in the Developers' Forum which could do that task(http://www.redhotpawn.com/board/showthread.php?id=5916&page=1).
    But I think that project died away.

Gotti
  6. Leominster, MA
    Moves
    06 Apr '04 12:32
    I think this idea might result in more load . I'm not a javascript guy, but ...

Maybe your not downloading the entire page, but you are still doing db lookups. If someone has is waiting for moves in 50 games, then all those lookups are being done repeatedly.

Why should these lookups be done, if I'm lookng at one board for 10-15 minutes, figuring a move.

Also, how many people leave a 'my games' page open on a home machine when they go to work , or when they go to bed . All those needless lookups..
  7. Joined
    16 Mar '02
    Moves
    07 Apr '04 14:151 edit
    OK, just guessing here, can't quite remember how it works. The javascript mini program might shut itself off after it's first succesful lookup. And on the serverside a simple flag with game-id info would be set. (This would meen that for 1 or a 100 games the process is the same). As soon as this is detected the game is pulled up and you're off and running. Site developpers, if you read this let us know what you think.
  8. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    08 Apr '04 10:05
    I have always resisted this. DB load is always our main concern. Checking the state of a single game is very cheap though - so this may be possible - and a bit of JavaScript could back off and then stop overtime. Checking the state of all games is not going to happen though unless we have some serious CPU time spare...(which we don't)

-Russ
  9. Zeist, Holland
    Moves
    08 Apr '04 11:51
    Would it be necessary to check the state of the games? You would only have to send a JS notification when a player presses 'move' and the other player is online.
  10. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    08 Apr '04 23:18
    Unfortunately, due to the nature of web browsers, we can’t notify a browser of anything. Your browser has to pull the information from our server. Using JavaScript just allows us to get your browser to pull the information automatically. There is no true ‘pushing’.

-Russ
  11. Joined
    16 Mar '02
    Moves
    09 Apr '04 10:29
    Well thanks for reading this thread Russ. I do believe that there must be some way of achieving this at little server cost although I don't quite understand the intricacies beyond me already uneducated guess work.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree