Use of PGN

Standard memberpete3246
Help 06 Sep '15 00:28
  1. Joined
    19 Mar '05
    Moves
    06 Sep '15 00:28
    If someone emails me a PGN....can I open it here and step through the game they have sent some how?

And along those same lines can I step through a game here that I played somewhere else and create a PGN to email to a friend?
  2. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    06 Sep '15 00:591 edit
    Originally posted by pete3246
    If someone emails me a PGN....can I open it here and step through the game they have sent some how?

And along those same lines can I step through a game here that I played somewhere else and create a PGN to email to a friend?
    Go here ---> FAQ

I'm not sure this is what you are trying to do, but maybe it will help.
    This link in the FAQ shows how to put a game pgn into a post and place it in the forum so that it can be played through.
    If you do not actually want to post it but just review the game, I think it will work for you if you set the post up as shown in the faq,
    but instead of actually posting it click the 'preview before post' box near the bottom, then click the post button.
    You will see the post as it would appear and you should then be able to play through your game.
    Then when you're done just delete the post instead of posting it.
    It's sort of a work-around that might do what you want.

There is other software out there that will allow you to import a game in PGN format and go through it.
    If you do an internet search for PGN viewer software that might find some of them for you.
    A program called "winboard" is one such program but I have not used it for ages so hopefully it's still around out there.

Good Luck! I hope this helped.
  3. Joined
    19 Mar '05
    Moves
    06 Sep '15 13:54
    Thanks..... I got impatient and bought tchess from the App Store ..... It does what I described ..... Free would have been better because I'm a cheap bastard but for less than 10 bucks I don't have to search and think about it anymore....peace

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree