Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Help Forum

Help Forum

  1. Standard member flexmore
    Quack Quack Quack !
    23 May '04 06:32

    i want to play these games,

    russ - is there a reason why this can't be done?

    i hope it is all there and it is just a very simple matter for you to allow it.
  2. Standard member thire
    Xebite
    23 May '04 07:23
    We play correspondencechess here at RHP, not live chess. If you want to do so, play at uChess.com
    th
  3. Standard member skeeter
    515 + 30 days
    23 May '04 07:24
    Originally posted by thire
    We play correspondencechess here at RHP, not live chess. If you want to do so, play at uChess.com
    th
    Endorsed with a rec

    skeeter
  4. Standard member flexmore
    Quack Quack Quack !
    23 May '04 07:38 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by thire
    We play correspondencechess here at RHP, not live chess. If you want to do so, play at uChess.com
    th

    yes we do play correspondence chess here - this is true,

    but you have not addressed my issue at all.

    livechess sites suck - you spend all your time waiting for your opponent - here you can start another game while waiting.

    the only issue i can see is that the game would need a big WARNING sign on it for the person who did not set the timelimit.
  5. Standard member flexmore
    Quack Quack Quack !
    23 May '04 08:21
    Originally posted by skeeter
    Endorsed with a rec

    skeeter

    i think you rec'd the wrong post mosquito.
  6. Standard member Exy
    Damn fine Clan!
    23 May '04 08:48
    Originally posted by flexmore

    i want to play these games,

    russ - is there a reason why this can't be done?

    i hope it is all there and it is just a very simple matter for you to allow it.
    The problem with this idea, Flex, is that you have to remember timezones. If you have a two hour time bank then you could only play people in your hemisphere which would limit the number of people who would even consider taking on a game like that.

    Flex, it sounds like you have certain players in mind for this sort of challenge so why don't you set up a live game on uChess with them? It's not approriate for RHP.
  7. Standard member flexmore
    Quack Quack Quack !
    23 May '04 08:52
    Originally posted by Exy
    The problem with this idea, Flex, is that you have to remember timezones. If you have a two hour time bank then you could only play people in your hemisphere which would limit the number of people who would even consider taking on a game like that.

    this is exactly the same for any live chess - why not play it within the rhp framework?

    - blitz games will not work because of the lack of the java applet or whatever gizmo, but two hour timebank should be fine.

    of course it does need to be consented to by both parties.
  8. Standard member Exy
    Damn fine Clan!
    23 May '04 08:59 / 1 edit
    Most people seem to struggle to complete a game within a 7 day timebank! Two hours will just increase the number of disgruntled folks who are mythed at being timed out.

    I have had to revise my view on timing out people because so many abuse the vacation flag in a last ditched attempt to stall for time. 😠

    I have so many games on all the time that now I just time out as soon as possible and I've updated my profile so that people are aware of that before they agree to play me. 😕
  9. Standard member flexmore
    Quack Quack Quack !
    23 May '04 09:06
    Originally posted by Exy
    Most people seem to struggle to complete a game within a 7 day timebank! Two hours will just increase the number of disgruntaled folks who are mythed at being timed out.

    I have had to revised my view on timing out people because so many abuse the vacation flag in a last ditched attempt to stall for time.

    I have so many games on all the time that now I jus ...[text shortened]... ible and I've updated my profile so that people are aware of that before they agree to play me.
    i think a 7 day timebank is much more dangerous than 2 hour timebank - with a 2 hour timebank yoou know your opponent is online and moving - NOW !

    with 7 day timebank they might play at times of the day when you do not. in which case it can be difficult to get past 14 moves before the timebank is finished.
  10. Standard member Exy
    Damn fine Clan!
    23 May '04 09:12
    Well if you have agreed to play a game "live" to completion with someone who is online and moving then why the need to enforce it with a timebank? I think this could artifically boosts people's ratings as, sure as eggs are eggs, some people will agree to take on a game then through no fault of their own get timed out. If someone had a PC problem, comms problem, or power cut for instance.
  11. Standard member flexmore
    Quack Quack Quack !
    23 May '04 09:21
    Originally posted by Exy
    "Well if you have agreed to play a game "live" to completion with someone who is online and moving then why the need to enforce it with a timebank? "
    because enforced rules make games better - just like our normal games, and any other games you might play.

    "If someone had a PC problem, comms problem, or power cut for instance"
    mmmm 30000 moves and i havent had that problem yet for more than 2 or 3 minutes - why do you think a mystical power cut should hit me if i start a quick game?
  12. Standard member Exy
    Damn fine Clan!
    23 May '04 09:31 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by flexmore
    mmmm 30000 moves and i havent had that problem yet for more than 2 or 3 minutes - why do you think a mystical power cut should hit me if i start a quick game?
    I use a dial up connection on my laptop and you'd be surprised how often my line is dropped while I'm in the middle of a game and sometimes I can't reconnect straight away.

    As you say, you haven't had these problems and nor may the few opponents who might agree to a 2 hour time bank - but I'm sure it would be a lot of work for Russ to cater for a very small minority who might want this and it would be yet another way people could rack up quick wins if they abuse it.
  13. Standard member flexmore
    Quack Quack Quack !
    23 May '04 09:45
    Originally posted by Exy
    " it would be yet another way people could rack up quick wins if they abuse it."

    now this might be true,
    it would need to be monitored a bit to see if it was excessively abuseable.

    other than that - people like yourselves should not be affected - in fact you should be advantaged - more players might come for you to have a go at.
  14. Standard member mrmist
    Moo
    24 May '04 06:38
    Originally posted by flexmore

    other than that - people like yourselves should not be affected - in fact you should be advantaged - more players might come for you to have a go at.
    I'd disagree with that, because if more and more people are effectively playing "live" chess then the server load would surely suffer.
  15. Standard member thire
    Xebite
    25 May '04 09:03
    another porposition:
    0 t/o, 60 days t/b.
    why not?
    th