0 t/o, 60 days t/b.
    why not?
    th
    yes please
  2. UK
    Moves
    25 May '04 20:04
    Originally posted by flexmore

is there a reason why this can't be done?

i hope it is all there and it is just a very simple matter for you to allow it.
    A thin-client site like RHP is totally the wrong set up for playing live games. Unlike the live chess sites with their custom client software, RHP maintains a huge centralised database of all the games in progress and constructs the user-interface and sends it to you on the fly as you navigate the site. This is how you are able to log on to RHP and complete your games from from any machine with a web browser and internet access, anywhere in the world. Everything is stored by, and runs on, RHP's servers rather than on your PC which essentially just draws the pretty pictures that RHP sends it.

The server traffic from all those "live" players continously hitting refresh to see if their opponent has moved yet would seriously risk bringing the entire system to it's knees (unless huge investments were made in hardware and bandwidth to support it).

From a technical (and, I suspect, commercial) PoV, it would be an absolute nightmare!

Kind regards,
    Chris.
  3. Standard membertlai1992
    Retired knight
    Chess Castle
    Moves
    26 Jul '04 22:23
    Originally posted by thire
    We play correspondencechess here at RHP, not live chess. If you want to do so, play at uChess.com
    th
    i rec
  4. Standard membertlai1992
    Retired knight
    Chess Castle
    Moves
    26 Jul '04 22:23
    another porposition:
    0 t/o, 60 days t/b.
    why not?
    th
    thats stupid why not try 0 day 7 day timebank
  5. Standard memberthire
    Xebite
    in front of you
    Moves
    27 Jul '04 09:57
    Originally posted by tlai1992
    thats stupid why not try 0 day 7 day timebank
    why should that be stupid?!? 😠
    th
  6. Donationbelgianfreak
    stitching you up
    Moves
    27 Jul '04 10:40
    flex - have you really thought about this? 0 TO, 2 hour TB... in an average 40 move game there are 80 half moves. If a half move were made every 2 hours then the game could last for ~3.5 days & nights. Do you really want to be getting out of bed 3 times a night for 3 days in order to move. Imagine the strain if you had 2 of these games going and you had to move at different times.

0 day TO, X day TB is more likely to be practical but does indeed have a problem with timezones. eg. Lets say that we both go to bed a 12 midnight but I'm 1 hour behind you in timezones. I would make the last move every night and you'd lose 7 hours of your TB every night before you move again.
    It could lead to people workng out your timezone and making sure they made the last move every night. How would you counter this? By getting up in the middle of the night every night? That doesn't sound like fun to me.
  7. Standard memberthire
    Xebite
    in front of you
    Moves
    27 Jul '04 12:09
    Originally posted by belgianfreak
    flex - have you really thought about this? 0 TO, 2 hour TB... in an average 40 move game there are 80 half moves. If a half move were made every 2 hours then the game could last for ~3.5 days & nights. Do you really want to be getting out of bed 3 times a night for 3 days in order to move. Imagine the strain if you had 2 of these games going and you had to move at different times.
    I think you are wrong here:
    The game will be over after a maximum of 2 hrs! 😉
    th
  8. Donationbelgianfreak
    stitching you up
    Moves
    27 Jul '04 13:091 edit
    I think you are wrong here:
    The game will be over after a maximum of 2 hrs! 😉
    th
    arggggggggghhhhhhh

the stupidity award goes to... me!

OK, I had a brain melt. Ignore me.

(except that if both layers get 2 hours then it' be over in 4 hours max...?)
  9. Standard memberwib
    Stay outta my biznez
    Moves
    27 Jul '04 13:421 edit
    Originally posted by belgianfreak
    arggggggggghhhhhhh

the stupidity award goes to... me!

OK, I had a brain melt. Ignore me.

(except that if both layers get 2 hours then it' be over in 4 hours max...?)
    Well if it's set up as a standard two hour OTB game, then yes both players get two hours. But Flex is saying a 2 hour time limit. So the whole game has to be completed in two hours. I think?

I'm still not sure what Flex has against Uchess. I tried it and I loved it. I played games ranging from 2 minutes to 45 minutes (per side) and everything worked perfectly. I can usually only play there on the weekends though due to the pace of those games.
  10. Joined
    18 Sep '03
    Moves
    27 Jul '04 17:46
    Another debate about the pace of the game on RHP. I find these debates interesting since many of the comments suggest that being forced to move regularly is somehow a bad thing.

Just to clear something up... this is not correspondence chess. This is a live and active interface that allows hundreds of updates per day... (I should know... I do at LEAST that many) If the game is slow and drawn out in the style of a snail mail correspondence game, then it is because you have chosen to play that way. There's nothing in the rules of RHP that says we're not allowed to play quickly.

If you set up a game to take forever then anyone who chooses to play you should recognize and acknowledge that. However, if I choose to play quickly and I set up a game to do so, then a slow player would be taking his chances by playing the game and then electing to try to slow down his or her pace.

If Flex wants a 2 hr t/b, it's between him, his opponent and whether the Admin is willing to allow that type of game. I don't see why so many people would choose to protest. If you're not interested, then don't play.
  11. UK
    Moves
    27 Jul '04 18:37
    Originally posted by Decanter
    If Flex wants a 2 hr t/b, it's between him, his opponent and whether the Admin is willing to allow that type of game. I don't see why so many people would choose to protest. If you're not interested, then don't play.
    ...Because if all anyone in charge sees is people saying "ooo yes I would love that feature" then they might introduce it with less regard for any possible downsides (eg loss of server responsiveness). Adding a voice to the opposing argument lessens the chances.
  12. Joined
    18 Sep '03
    Moves
    27 Jul '04 18:59
    ...Because if all anyone in charge sees is people saying "ooo yes I would love that feature" then they might introduce it with less regard for any possible downsides (eg loss of server responsiveness). Adding a voice to the opposing argument lessens the chances.
    I understand your perspective but I'd give Russ a bit more credit than that. I doubt he'd implement something that would ruin the entire site.

It also doesn't change the fact that slow players come onto this thread telling fast players to go to another site. Flex made a request. I think it's possible to disagree with him without telling him to go away.
  13. UK
    Moves
    28 Jul '04 06:26
    Originally posted by Decanter
    I understand your perspective but I'd give Russ a bit more credit than that. I doubt he'd implement something that would ruin the entire site.

It also doesn't change the fact that slow players come onto this thread telling fast players to go to another site. Flex made a request. I think it's possible to disagree with him without telling him to go away.
    True enough.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree