1. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    28 Jan '12 23:51
    From an article about a recent UK study.

Low IQ behind some conservative beliefs

Children with low intelligence are more likely to grow up to be social conservatives and racists, researchers found in a study published out of the U.K.

The study, which appeared in the journal Psychological Science and was written up by LifeScience, built upon previous research linking low education with prejudice, using data from two studies testing IQ and then political beliefs.

“As suspected, low intelligence in childhood corresponded with racism in adulthood. But the factor that explained the relationship between these two variables was political: When researchers included social conservatism in the analysis, those ideologies accounted for much of the link between brains and bias,” LifeScience wrote.

Lead researcher Gordon Hodson, of Brock University in Ontario, concluded that people with low IQs are attracted to the hierarchy and structure in socially conservative institutions. . . .

http://blog.chron.com/hottopics/2012/01/low-iq-behind-some-conservative-beliefs/
  2. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    28 Jan '12 23:58
    Originally posted by moon1969

Children with low intelligence are more likely to grow up to be social conservatives and racists, researchers found in a study published out of the U.K.

The study, which appeared in the journal Psychological Science and was written up by LifeScience, built upon ...[text shortened]... . .

http://blog.chron.com/hottopics/2012/01/low-iq-behind-some-conservative-beliefs/
    Nice post, albeit a little obvious.
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    29 Jan '12 00:42
    Originally posted by moon1969

The study, which appeared in the journal Psychological Science and was written up by LifeScience, built upon ...[text shortened]... . .

I guess this explains why all Republicans and conservatives are racists. They just can't stand that a black man made it into the White House and now they wish to kick him out just because he is black.

Disgusting!!
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29 Jan '12 02:03
    Originally posted by whodey
    I guess this explains why all Republicans and conservatives are racists.
    What credible or relevant commentator or political figure has made this claim? Links please.
  5. Joined
    07 Mar '09
    Moves
    29 Jan '12 02:391 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    What credible or relevant commentator or political figure has made this claim? Links please.
    The Republican Party is for all intents and purposes a Southern regional Party. The Party began life in the 1850's as a Midwest Liberal Party. Why the change? Well, I'm someone who was there when the change occurred and I can tell you. When I grew up there was only one Party in the South and that was the Democratic Party (my Parents told me, "I don't care what Party you register as as long as it is Democratic."\) The Southern portion of the Democratic Party of the time was made up of several distinct groups: Dixiecrats, New Dealers, and a few New Frontier Progressives. When LBJ pushed thru the 1964 Civil Rights Act we heard many voices in our local political class complain. Johnson still won a landslide against the Republicans who were not running with any Southern support (in my opinion if Goldwater had found a Southerner to run with him he would not have lost so badly.) But the die was cast, Goldwater won the 5 most racist states in the South (they still are.) In 1966, when my Parents voted in the primary we noticed a curious thing. All the complainers were now running in the Republican primary! I've heard time and again the old refrain, "I didn't leave the democratic Party! It left me." How do you think that happened? I'll freely admit my Parents were not the most Progressive but they told me one thing that I took to heart, "The Civil Rights Act was the right thing to do." Apparently, many new Republicans didn't feel that way. I think most of them do not feel that way now. That is why the minority vote in the South has remained Democratic. If a Southern Republican is bellowing about State's Rights don't give me any crap about what they are talking about - I know. Every day Lincoln spins in his grave and LBJ and Harry Truman sleep soundly.
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    29 Jan '12 03:30
    Originally posted by FMF
    Does Terrier Jack count? 😛
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29 Jan '12 06:19
    You got links or not?
  8. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    29 Jan '12 08:18
    Instead of focusing on some sarcastic comment whodey has made I would rather focus on the science used to come up with the findings in the OP.

This link here sheds some light on the study. http://wmbriggs.com/blog/?p=5118
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29 Jan '12 08:441 edit
    Originally posted by utherpendragon
    Instead of focusing on some sarcastic comment whodey has made I would rather focus on the science used to come up with the findings in the OP.

This link here sheds some light on the study. http://wmbriggs.com/blog/?p=5118
    whodey constantly creates a straw man version of what people he disagrees with believe and advocate. Was it worth pointing out? Maybe yes, maybe no. Should low or high IQ affect who gets to vote [more or less a generalissimo stance, if I recall correctly]? No. Does it matter if someone's beliefs are the result of being clever or not being clever? No. Is racism bad? Yes. At least I think so. Is there plenty of it in the U.S. [and just about everywhere else]? Yes. Is "left wing" racism better in some way than "right wing" racism? No. Is the OP a 'political issue' that is anything other than tabloid? No. Conservative beliefs should be tackled in terms of the actual policies they give rise to. Is an OP like this supposed or intended to attempt to kick sand in the face of the likes of you and whodey, specifically? Probably.
  10. Joined
    07 Mar '09
    Moves
    29 Jan '12 10:171 edit
    I'm not saying that all Republicans are racists and I'm not saying that all racists are stupid. In fact I think the Southern racists that took over the Republican Party were extremely shrewd. Does that mean that every Republican politician that benefits from that racism is a racist? No. Some of them clearly are not. But how often do they blow the whistles that allow them to benefit: almost every chance they get (and, as I've said before if you can't distinguish that tone then you need to do some work on your own psyche - I recognize the least pressure because I grew up surrounded by it.) In some ways that behavior is worse than racism because it allows the real klansman to hide in plain sight.

The facts of the Southern takeover of the Republican Party cannot be disputed. Nor can the motives of those who initiated the takeover. I am quite certain that there are still Democratic racists but I am also quite certain that those voices have had very little power in the Democratic Party for a long time. Can you say the same about the Republican Party? I surely cannot.

[As an aside: can you imagine Lincoln arguing for State's Rights?]
  11. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    29 Jan '12 10:52
    Originally posted by TerrierJack
    I'm not saying that all Republicans are racists and I'm not saying that all racists are stupid. In fact I think the Southern racists that took over the Republican Party were extremely shrewd. Does that mean that every Republican politician that benefits from that racism is a racist? No. Some of them clearly are not. But how often do they blow the whistl ...[text shortened]... rty? I surely cannot.

[As an aside: can you imagine Lincoln arguing for State's Rights?]
    How about naming these GOP racist ?
    And when did this "undisputed Southern takeover" occur ?
  12. Subscriberkmax87
    Blade Runner
    Republicants
    Moves
    29 Jan '12 10:55
    The Republican Party is for all intents and purposes a Southern regional Party. The Party began life in the 1850's as a Midwest Liberal Party. Why the change? Well, I'm someone who was there when the change occurred and I can tell you. When I grew up there was only one Party in the South and that was the Democratic Party (my Parents told me, "I don't car ...[text shortened]... ow. Every day Lincoln spins in his grave and LBJ and Harry Truman sleep soundly.
    Amen!
  13. Subscriberkmax87
    Blade Runner
    Republicants
    Moves
    29 Jan '12 11:091 edit
    Originally posted by utherpendragon
    How about naming these GOP racist ?
    And when did this "undisputed Southern takeover" occur ?
    I posted this a while back in a thread 'Okay Ron Paul is Out"
    It answers your question, but it might require a modicum of intelligence on your part to see it. 😛

Why would blacks vote for the party of former slave-owners?

Why did the major two parties realign themselves. Over what issue..mmm?

1932- FDR New Deal/New Deal Coalition (favors social welfare among other issues)
    1948-Truman desegregates military.
    1948-Strom Thurmond and the Dixiecrats signal the beginnings of the Solid South's
    transformation away from a Democrat lock.
    1964- LBJ signs into law the Civil Rights Act.

So why would blacks vote for a party whose Democratic State Governors bitterly opposed integration?

They were duped were they?
    Conned by wolves in sheep's clothing, or what particular issue by 1964 had the likes of Barry Goldwater been able to exploit that by 1980 had become a wave of Reagan Democrats that kept the GOP in power for 12 straight years?
    Anyone?

Why would former racist Democrats stay in a party that now wanted to uphold civil rights and social welfare as core causes? Why would the Solid South transform into a Republican heartland in the space of a generation? I'm sure they were subtle in their coded attacks, but why else other than branding themselves as the keepers of that Christian flame that would continue to protect white women from the evils of miscegenation could explain why lifelong Democrats realigned as Republicans and voting by Blacks steadily increased in favor of the Democrat party?

What alternate theory can you propose?
    Blacks are dumb?

Just in case you missed it, the issue was this. Reigning in big government. The catchcry of Goldwater all the way through to Reagan and beyond.
    Big Government spending really was code for, 'we don't want to see our tax dollars spent on bailing out poor black people!'

Please don't ask for links. Let Google be your slave!
  14. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    29 Jan '12 11:21
    Originally posted by kmax87
    I posted this a while back in a thread 'Okay Ron Paul is Out"
    It answers your question, but it might require a modicum of intelligence on your part to see it. 😛

[quote]
    Why would blacks vote for the party of former slave-owners?

Why did the major two parties realign themselves. Over what issue..mmm?

1932- FDR New Deal/New Deal Coalition (favors ...[text shortened]... g out poor black people!'

Please don't ask for links. Let Google be your slave![/b]
    Thank you for your intelligent and oh so eloquent response. I especially loved the part about "coded attacks". 🙄
    Seeing that you like answering for terrier jack how about listing the GOP racist that I asked for.
  15. Joined
    13 Mar '07
    Moves
    29 Jan '12 12:29
    When I grew up there was only one Party in the South and that was the Democratic Party (my Parents told me, "I don't care what Party you register as as long as it is Democratic."😉
    Reminds me of a wonderful joke in "Divorce, Italian Style", a film from the early 1960s with Marcello Mastroianni, set in Sicily. The film is set just before an election, and the opening scenes show the priest in the pulpit saying:

"As your priest, I will not presume to instruct you on how to vote. I will counsel you only to choose a party that will respect both your Christian principles and your democratic privileges. A party that is both Christian, and Democratic. A Christian... Democratic... Party."

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree