Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. 20 Dec '16 16:28


    I know everyone else does one but it's Christmas,
    what else am I going to do. A Happy Easter Quiz?

    I would never ask you try anything I have not done myself
    and the five puzzles all went across my chessboard and
    I solved all five in a total time of 5-10 minutes, It is that easy.

    Setting up each position is very simple, you will enjoy
    showing this one to your chums down at the chess club.

    The Quiz brought up a mini theme and that led to an excuse
    to show a couple of Red Hot Pawn games (One blundering it).

    Merry Christmas,

    Blog Post 346
  2. Subscriber BigDoggProblem
    The Advanced Mind
    20 Dec '16 17:46
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    [b]

    I know everyone else does one but it's Christmas,
    what else am I going to do. A Happy Easter Quiz?

    I would never ask you try anything I have not done myself
    and the five puzzles all went across my chessboard and
    I solved all five in a total time of 5-10 minutes, It is that easy.

    Setting up each position is very simple, you will ...[text shortened]... Pawn games (One blundering it).

    Merry Christmas,

    Blog Post 346
    [/b]
    Nice column, GP. The Forsberg help mate is a classic.

    The example help mate is cooked, e.g.:

  3. Subscriber BigDoggProblem
    The Advanced Mind
    20 Dec '16 18:08
    Here's a sound h#2 with a wN promotion, though my limited composing skill is showing with the ugly h6 Rook:



    The h6 Rook is needed to stop cooks:

  4. 20 Dec '16 19:50
    Hi Big Dog.

    Not surprised my effort was cooked (multiple solutions). I'm just glad
    I got the term correct. On another day I would have called it Self Mate.

    Good how each puzzle has a different solution for each piece. The placing
    of the White king is crucial, it's not just been placed on the board out of the way.

    Help Mate = Black helps White to mate to Black.

    Self Mate = White forces Black to Mate White.

    RHP Mate = One player checkmates another player by accident.
    (I know for sure that a few accidental mates have happened.)
  5. Subscriber BigDoggProblem
    The Advanced Mind
    20 Dec '16 20:31
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    Hi Big Dog.

    Not surprised my effort was cooked (multiple solutions). I'm just glad
    I got the term correct. On another day I would have called it Self Mate.

    Good how each puzzle has a different solution for each piece. The placing
    of the White king is crucial, it's not just been placed on the board out of the way.

    Help Mate = Black helps White ...[text shortened]... es another player by accident.
    (I know for sure that a few accidental mates have happened.)
    Yes...wK on g4 stops a few cooks.

    It is a brilliant composition. It is far harder to make a problem like that than most realize, because of the soundness requirement. And Forsberg did it before computer testing was available.
  6. 21 Dec '16 14:25
    it reminded me of another famous problem/study.
    (it's that famous I cannot re-call all the details and I'm at work.)

    It's that one where it is a mate in five but a bullet hits a piece removing
    it from the board, so it's now a mate in 4, another bullet, another piece goes,
    it is now a mate in three etc...etc..


    I remember I spent an hour creating a puzzle where White forces Black
    to create a Cross on the chessboard. You are playing Dracula and that is
    the only way to win. I put it in my Magazine only to discover I had been
    gazumped (anticipated) by 30-40 years.


    Recently stumbled upon this game:

    Nikola Nestorovic - Milko Popchev, Serbia Chess League 2008.

    The White Bishops go to h6 and a6 and a Black Bishop goes to h3
    the Black DSB does not go to a3 but sacs itself on c3. Wonderful.

  7. Subscriber BigDoggProblem
    The Advanced Mind
    21 Dec '16 22:27 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    it reminded me of another famous problem/study.
    (it's that famous I cannot re-call all the details and I'm at work.)

    It's that one where it is a mate in five but a bullet hits a piece removing
    it from the board, so it's now a mate in 4, another bullet, another piece goes,
    it is now a mate in three etc...etc..


    I remember I spent an hour creatin ...[text shortened]... c3 bc3 16. Ba6 Qe3 17. Be3 Ra6 18. Kb1 Bh3 19. Nd4 Rb6 20. Nb3 Rb3 21. cb3 Bf5 22. Kc1 Ra8[/pgn]
    That game is like a task chess problem. Nice find!

    The "Turkish Bullet" problem you are thinking of was Loyd's.



    White mates in 3
    b) a bullet shatters wNe1; mate in 4 now.
    c) a 2nd bullet destroys wPh2; mate in 5 now.
  8. 21 Dec '16 23:37
    Yeah, that's the one, Thanks.