1. Donationketchuplover
    Isolated Pawn
    Wisconsin USA
    Moves
    26 May '19 14:32
    it is considered bad form to seek advice on games in progress.
  2. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    26 May '19 14:382 edits
    @ketchuplover

Maybe you should have evidence before you throw around accusations of cheating. The position was from a game I lost on this site. Check the time stamps.Game 13258622

Game ended May 20, I started my thread May 24. You should know better.
  3. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    26 May '19 15:26
    @eladar said
    @ketchuplover

Maybe you should have evidence before you throw around accusations of cheating. The position was from a game I lost on this site. Check the time stamps.Game 13258622

Game ended May 20, I started my thread May 24. You should know better.
    I love it when people defend themselves against anonymous accusations...
  4. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    26 May '19 15:45
    @BigDoggProblem

Are you really that dull? He just started a thread to continue his false accusation of cheating against me.

Not that I will expect an apology.
  5. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    26 May '19 16:48
    @eladar said
    @BigDoggProblem

Are you really that dull? He just started a thread to continue his false accusation of cheating against me.

Not that I will expect an apology.
    Careful...if I am dull, you've lost twice to a dullard...
  6. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    26 May '19 17:09
    @bigdoggproblem said
    Careful...if I am dull, you've lost twice to a dullard...
    Lol, yes the best chess players are the smartest people. If you have had better training you are a smarter person. Makes sense to me.
  7. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    26 May '19 22:27
    @eladar said
    Lol, yes the best chess players are the smartest people. If you have had better training you are a smarter person. Makes sense to me.
    This is somewhat simplistic. There are varieties of intelligence, including social smarts, and we all have our various talents which we might consciously or unwittingly develop into associated skills.
  8. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    27 May '19 15:271 edit
    @ketchuplover said
    it is considered bad form to seek advice on games in progress.
    Thank You for the public service announcement, your point is a valid one, but I would caution against directing this at any one person. 🙂
  9. e4
    Moves
    28 May '19 09:241 edit
    Hi Elador,

Looks like a genuine mistake. There was no game number in the original post.
    In the past when people are asking questions about G.I.P's nobody has ever
    accursed them of cheating, just posting in error. In fact the people who gave
    advice to a G.I.P. were the ones who got a row.

A simple misunderstanding. Old timers will remember seeing positions like this.

White has just played 31.h2-h4 and posted asking why RHP did not give him checkmate.

People here were giving hints like 'see FAQ's' or look at the rules of chess.
    These were often greeted by both players with replies like: 'are you calling me an idiot?

One thread went on for ages with both players (who did not know the
    en passant rule) attacking and pouring scorn everyone who was giving them hints.

Someone harmlessly suggested putting the game into a computer and see what it played.

In them days any mention of a computer would have got you lynched.
    The site use to publish a monthly list of players banned for alleged computer use.
    Suggesting you put a Game In Progress into a computer was the ultimate blasphemy.
    He, a player just passing by trying to help, was called a cheat and people
    demanded his games be scrutinised as he obviously owned a computer.

Then a Moderator appeared and warned that a week or two week
    posting ban would be given to anyone discussing a G.I.P. and that was
    aimed not at the players but those answering the original question.
    And anyone putting a GIP into a computer would get a lifetime ban.

Insults, threats, declarations of an eternal flaming war were issued
    as all camps, the players, the posters, the witch hunters and the moderator stood
    their ground and the arguments raged on for pages. (the thread was eventually removed).

I think someone sent the players a P.M. because e.p. was played
    and it was all over . It was Just another day in the RHP forum.
  10. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    28 May '19 15:14
    @greenpawn34

Guilty until proven innocent. I remember a while back when some guy would start threads about his evidence that certain people were using engines. I remember you saying a master was kicked due to accusations of cheating. Too many top moves played.

I have known ketchup lover since before joining this site, he should have known better.
  11. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    28 May '19 15:23
    @eladar said
    If I was leveraging my chess skill outside the chess arena, you might have a point. As it happens, we were talking about cheating at chess, and on that subject, I am at least as knowledgeable as you are.

Also, training does not help unless the student has the faculties and the work ethic to absorb the training. That's the reason I play better chess than you. I am more able to learn from my betters, whereas you in a recent thread asked for instruction, got several good tips from strong players, then dismissed them as "flowery".
  12. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    28 May '19 15:291 edit
    @BigDoggProblem

How long ago did you start playing?

Any formal coaching?
  13. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    28 May '19 18:151 edit
    @eladar said
    @ketchuplover

Maybe you should have evidence before you throw around accusations of cheating.
    But @ketchuplover didn't mention anyone in particular at all, at least not in this thread's OP.

We all would have taken it as just a useful general reminder if you hadn't squawked.

"The play's the thing in which to catch the conscience of the king" -- Shakespeare
  14. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    28 May '19 18:27
    @caesar-salad said
    But @ketchuplover didn't mention anyone in particular at all, at least not in this thread's OP.

We all would have taken it as just a useful general reminder if you hadn't squawked.

"The play's the thing in which to catch the conscience of the king" -- Shakespeare
    You are ignorant, either purposely or honestly. I assume the former.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree