1. Joined
    08 Apr '12
    Moves
    08 Aug '18 20:07
    Hello all–

I've had half this post sitting in my computer for several months now, and decided to finally finish it as I didn't have much time this past week. It's an exploration of part of Aronian's disastrous Candidates Tournament earlier this year, and I hope that you'll find it both instructive and enjoyable.

Blog Post 391

Best,
    Orion Lehoczky Escobar
  2. Subscriber64squaresofpain
    The drunk knight
    Stuck on g1
    Moves
    10 Aug '18 08:17
    Excellent stuff, Aronian was my pick to win also, considering the excellent year he had up to that point.

It seems he may be the best player never to challenge for the title,
    as he always crumbles when it comes to the candidates.

Cheers,
    Zak

p.s. I already had a fantasy football team made for work, so I've joined your mini-league also.
    Let's hope more people join, perhaps mention it in the general forum or sports forum?
  3. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    12 Aug '18 13:14
    I think his getting married took some of the fire out of him. Life-changing events like that can take some adjusting sometimes.
  4. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    14 Aug '18 05:451 edit
    Sometimes strong players agree to a draw in a complicated position because they’re tired and don’t want to risk making a weak move and screwing it up. Or simply because they’ve run out of ideas and don’t have a plan to continue. Or because GMs are very much better than we are and know that the chances are even, even though it is complicated. (Aronian, candidates 2018, first two rounds.)
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    14 Aug '18 14:24
    Originally posted by @64squaresofpain
    Excellent stuff, Aronian was my pick to win also, considering the excellent year he had up to that point.

It seems he may be the best player never to challenge for the title,
    as he always crumbles when it comes to the candidates.

Cheers,
    Zak

p.s. I already had a fantasy football team made for work, so I've joined your mini-league also.
    Let's hope more people join, perhaps mention it in the general forum or sports forum?
    Don't forget Paul Keres, same issue.
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    14 Aug '18 14:33
    Originally posted by @hikarushindo
    Hello all–

I've had half this post sitting in my computer for several months now, and decided to finally finish it as I didn't have much time this past week. It's an exploration of part of Aronian's disastrous Candidates Tournament earlier this year, and I hope that you'll find it both instructive and enjoyable.

Blog Post 391

Best,
    Orion Lehoczky Escobar
    In the game with Kramnik, why didn't Kram do QUEEN to g2 mate rather than screw around with g2 which is not immediate mate?
  7. Joined
    08 Apr '12
    Moves
    14 Aug '18 16:02
    @sonhouse queen is pinned to Ke8 by Re1
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    14 Aug '18 19:24
    Originally posted by @hikarushindo
    @sonhouse queen is pinned to Ke8 by Re1
    Ah, there was that minor detail🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree