1. Subscriber64squaresofpain
    The drunk knight
    Stuck on g1
    Moves
    14 Mar '21 15:12
    Greetings players and fellow patzers 🙂

Well, I had been meaning to share these games for some time,
    but kept putting it off since the world ended...

However, seeing as though this weekend is exactly 1-year since the event, I figured why not?

The congress was held at the Imperial Hotel in Blackpool, March 13-15.
    I have fond memories from winning the Minor section at this venue a year previous, scoring 5/5.
    ( see Thread 180401 )

This was the Intermediate section, with a rating cap of ECF 155, so slightly tougher than the Minor event which was 135.

Covid lockdowns were on the horizon, we were strongly advised not to shake hands and instead use the elbow bump.
    The pieces were all being sanitized in between games. Only a few people were wearing masks at this point.

As usual I will share each game in separate posts.
    Time controls were 110 minutes + 10 secs increment.

------------------------

Game 1 - Vivien Webster (136) vs Zak Tomlinson (147)

Friday 13th, unlucky for some, and I had been given a nightmare of a first round draw.

Vivien is a good friend of mine whom I have a lot of respect and fear for,
    as she plays a very no-nonsense style (limited theory knowledge) and plays very fast!

Do I get off to a good start?

Not a good game at all, the numbers below speak for themselves!

Vivien Webster
    Inaccuracies - 8
    Mistakes - 5
    Blunders - 3
    Avg. Centipawn loss - 52

Zak Tomlinson
    Inaccuracies - 11
    Mistakes - 5
    Blunders - 4
    Avg. Centipawn loss - 53
  2. Subscriber64squaresofpain
    The drunk knight
    Stuck on g1
    Moves
    14 Mar '21 15:16
    Game 2 - Zak Tomlinson (147) vs Mark McKay (136)

Saturday morning's game was something closer to home, a Ruy Lopez with a6, something I've played plenty of with both colours.
    Typically, if both players know the opening well then they can cancel each other out and agree a quick draw, then go to the bar.

This was a quick game, but for the wrong reasons...

Mark was a good sport to go through the game afterwards.
    I recall him saying he had not played chess for a while and had only just returned, so was perhaps a little rusty.

Zak Tomlinson
    Inaccuracies - 1
    Mistakes - 0
    Blunders - 1
    Avg. Centipawn loss - 32

Mark McKay
    Inaccuracies - 2
    Mistakes - 3
    Blunders - 1
    Avg. Centipawn loss - 64
  3. Subscriber64squaresofpain
    The drunk knight
    Stuck on g1
    Moves
    14 Mar '21 15:18
    Game 3 - Brendan O'Gorman (153) vs Zak Tomlinson (147)

The only interesting anecdote I have about this game was that I'd drank 4 pints of Stella in the 2 hours prior.
    I think it was £4 a pint too... I must be mad.

Did the Stella Gambit pay off?

A fairly accurate, albeit boring game.
    Considering I had Black vs the tournament top seed (and was slightly tipsy) I'll take it!

Brendan O'Gorman
    Inaccuracies - 2
    Mistakes - 0
    Blunders - 0
    Avg. Centipawn loss - 16

Zak Tomlinson
    Inaccuracies - 2
    Mistakes - 0
    Blunders - 0
    Avg. Centipawn loss - 16
  4. Subscriber64squaresofpain
    The drunk knight
    Stuck on g1
    Moves
    14 Mar '21 15:22
    Game 4 - Zak Tomlinson (147) vs Jade Drummond (143)

Nursing a slight hangover on Sunday morning I wanted another quiet boring game.
    My opponent plays the French, so that's exactly what we get!

My aim is to be solid positionally and wait for mistakes.
    Did it work?

Zak Tomlinson
    Inaccuracies - 3
    Mistakes - 0
    Blunders - 0
    Avg. Centipawn loss - 17

Jade Drummond
    Inaccuracies - 6
    Mistakes - 1
    Blunders - 2
    Avg. Centipawn loss - 36
  5. Subscriber64squaresofpain
    The drunk knight
    Stuck on g1
    Moves
    14 Mar '21 15:30
    Game 5 - Kevin Winter (145) vs Zak Tomlinson (147)

Heading into the final round with 3pts, first place was now out of reach
    however another win here would make a strong finish.

Kevin was also on 3/4 and similarly rated, so expected a tough game.
    I had also only had one pint! (probably skint from the previous day)

Let's see how we conclude the last OTB event for a long while.

Not the cleanest of performances, but it had a decent finish at least.

Kevin Winter
    Inaccuracies - 8
    Mistakes - 3
    Blunders - 1
    Avg. Centipawn loss - 43

Zak Tomlinson
    Inaccuracies - 6
    Mistakes - 2
    Blunders - 1
    Avg. Centipawn loss - 26

------------------------------

So I finished the tournament on 4/5, with 10 games now undefeated at this venue!
    One person was the outright winner on 5/5... Robert Clegg, somone I've beaten in the past.
    I was part of a 6-way tie for 6nd place.

Here is the final crosstable after 5 rounds:
    http://chess-results.com/tnr524728.aspx?lan=1&art=4

My ECF tournament performance rating was 173, which made up for some previous bad results.
    Right now my rating is 146, hardly changed from before.

Some news!

There is potentially a live OTB tournament happening later this year, booked for July 9th-11th at Leamington Spa.
    It has not been finalised yet, as we wait on whether restrictions will be lifted as promised by June.

If this tournament goes ahead I will definitely be there... I've missed the chess weekends!
    I'll keep this thread updated if I find out more.

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed this recap and I look forward to sharing more in the future,
    once the world has no longer ended.

Cheers,
    Zak
  6. e4
    Moves
    15 Mar '21 18:47
    Hi 64squaresofpain,

You did well in game one to avoid 3...Nxe4 intending 4.Nxe4 d5 which can lead
    to that Frankenstein/Dracula variation. That game is a nightmare...for both sides!

7. Joined
    15 Dec '20
    Moves
    17 Mar '21 12:57
    Hi Zak,
    Here are some quick thoughts on Game 1.

8...Ne7

Besides 9. Bg5 mentioned in the note, White has 9. d4, forcing 9...exd4 10. Nxd4 and thereby giving White greater central control.

10...Ng6

10...c6 would have prepared queenside expansion by ...b5 or central counteraction by ...d5. It would also increase Black's mobility on the queenside, although 11...Qb6 be merely a pseudothreat: 12. Qd2 Qxb2 13. Rfb1 winning the queen. Come to think of it, the strategically more desirable 12. Qe1 seems playable: 12. Qe1 Qxb2 13. Nb5 Qxc2 14. Nxc7 Ra7 15. Nb5 Ra6 16. Rf2 Qa4 17. Nc3, winning the exchange. Black should play 13...c6 instead, but White seems to have good play even then.

Having given White a half-open f-file, Black needs to enforce a pawn break elsewhere to obtain counterplay.

10...d5 is interesting, owing to the weakness at the e3-square. But it's no good: 10...d5 11. exd5 Nexd5 12. Nxd5 Nxd5 13. Nxe5 Nxe3? 14. Nxf7 Qd4?? 15. Nh6+ Kh8 16. Rxf8 mate. That Black's aggression should backfire isn't surprising in light of White's better development and mobility.

11...Nd7

The note says, "I didn't want to trade and help White advance their pawn centre but also didn't want to allow Nxf6 and potentially put my Queen in harms way on the f-file".

This thinking isn't concrete enough. After 11...c6 12. Nxf6+ Qxf6, the only discovery of consequence seems to be 13. Nd4, but then 13...Qg5 14. Nf5 Bxf5 15. exf5 Qxe3+ followed by ...Ne7, and it's not clear that White has enough for the pawn.
  8. Subscriber64squaresofpain
    The drunk knight
    Stuck on g1
    Moves
    17 Mar '21 21:10
    @FMDavidHLevin

Thanks David for taking the time to analyse my worst game!

I do agree with playing c6 earlier, though it does come on move 12.
    The worst decision I made around this time was playing Nb6 blocking the b-pawn,
    that definitely deserves a slap on the wrist.

My comment on move 11...Nd7 you will notice I said "potentially" in harms way, which I mean to say:
    "not right now, but if I'm not careful it could become problematic"

Friday night (round 1) is always my worst game.
    One day I'll learn to take 1st round byes!
  9. Joined
    15 Dec '20
    Moves
    18 Mar '21 01:16
    Hi Zak,
    I understand the difficulty in bringing one's top form to the first round.

Here are some quick thoughts on Game 2 (all on the same move).

14. f4

White enjoys an extra pawn, a single pawn island to Black's three, and the more useful pair of minor pieces in the present pawn structure. But Black's bishop could become a nuisance if the game opens. To stifle this piece, White would like to transform his pawn structure to be on dark squares. Or if that's not feasible, White would at least like to exchange the bishop if the center is about to open.

So, instead of the text move, which seems premature in light of White's incomplete development, I'd look for a way to restrict Black's pawn breaks. 14...d5 isn't yet a threat: 14...d5 15. e5 Ne8 (15...d4 16. exf6 dxe3 17. fxe3) 16. d4. But it might be once Black controls the e5-square, such as by ...Rfe8.

That ...d5 would create a hole at Black's c5-square suggests the move 14. Nb3. 14...a5 can be answered by 15. a4, followed by attacking Black's a-pawn a second time. 14...d5 15. Nc5 Qe7 16. d4 (16. Nxb7 Qb4) secures a potential escape square for the knight. After Black addresses the renewed threat to the bishop, White can play e5.

14...Qe7 can be met by 15. Na5, followed by exchanging and the move b3.

Once Black's pawn breaks are suppressed, White can transfer pieces to the kingside, starting with Qf3, Nf5, and possibly Qg3. If appropriate, White can then play f4. Deferring this pawn move until White's pieces are posted to the kingside is more flexible because piece maneuvers can usually be undone, in contrast to pawn moves.
  10. Joined
    15 Dec '20
    Moves
    18 Mar '21 17:06
    Hi Zak,
    Here are some thoughts on 11. c6 in Game 3.

This ends up dissolving Black's b-pawn, eliminating a probable target along the a8/h1 diagonal and connecting Black's rooks. 11. Nbd2 seems much stronger:

A) 11...cxb3 12. Nxb3 Ne4 13. Bxg7 Kxg7 14. Rac1 Nb4 15. a3 (15. Rc4 Nxa2 16. Rxe4 Nc3 equalizes the material while giving Black a passed a-pawn) 15...Nd5 (15...Nc6 16. Nfd4) 16. Kf1 (protecting the e-pawn so that after 17. Ne5 Ndc3, White need not resort to 18. Rde1), and it's not easy for Black to complete his development.

B) 11...Nxc5 12. Nxc4 Bd7 13. Rac1 (13. Nfe5 Bb5), retaining pressure.

6...e6 seems to have led to difficulties for Black. If you find the Neo-Gruenfeld with 6...c6 too symmetrical, then you might consider 5...d6 to enter a King's Indian. Black customarily plays ...exd4 in the early middle game, but I have found that (1) this move should be deferred until Black can gain by it, and (2) Black should advance the a-pawn to gain space on (part of) the queenside.

A game I had with this approach went 1. d4 Nf6 2. c4 g6 3. Nf3 Bg7 4. g3 O-O 5. Bg2 d6 6. O-O Nbd7 7. Nc3 e5 8. e4 c6 9. h3 a5 10. Be3 a4 11. Qc2 Qa5 12. Rfd1 (Ippolito--Levin, New Jersey Open 1997), when 12...b5 seems to give Black a comfortable game.
  11. Joined
    15 Dec '20
    Moves
    19 Mar '21 14:19
    Hi Zak,
    Here are some thoughts on the pawn ending of Game 4. I'll put your notes in italics instead of saying, "The note says".

29. Kxf3

Although material is still even, this is two pawn islands vs four, so White has a clear advantage

The decisive factor here is White's queenside majority, provided that it stays mobile. If you let Black play ...d5 and ...b5, your majority will be stymied unless your king comes to the queenside to assist. To keep the majority mobile, White should play 29. c4. If Black tries 29...Ke6 30. Kxf3 Kf5, White can start advancing queenside pawns with 31. b4 (not 31. a4 a5) to support the c-pawn, which is the "candidate" (that is, the pawn that's unopposed on the file and therefore whose advance needs to be nurtured).

35. d5

This makes it more difficult for the candidate (the c-pawn) to become passed. Correct was 35. a3: 35...d5 36. c5 bxc5 37. dxc5 d4 38. b4 Kd5 39. Kf3, and White's king will shortly blockade Black's d-pawn and win it.

38. c5

With the idea that after dxc5 White recaptures and will be the first to promote

It's more involved. After 38. c5 dxc5 39. bxc5 bxc5 40. Ke5 (40. d6? Kf6) 40...f6+ 41. Ke6 c4 42. d6 c3 43. d7 c2 44. d8(Q) c1(Q) 45. Qxf6+ Kh7 46. Qxf5+ Kg7 (46...Kh6 47. Qf4+) 47. Qf7+ Kh8 48. Qxh5+ Kg7 49. Qg5+ Qxg5 50. hxg5 Kg6 51. Kd5, and White's king will capture Black's a-pawn and prevent Black's king from blockading White's a-pawn.
  12. Joined
    15 Dec '20
    Moves
    20 Mar '21 00:59
    Hi Zak,
    Here are some thoughts on Game 5. I've put your notes in italics.

6...a5

I like moves like this, little space gainers

The other side of the coin is that if Black had played 6...a6 instead, then the later ...d5 would not have been met by the disconcerting move Bb5.

10. Ng3

Allowing doubled pawns with Bxc4, which stockfish prefers, however I asked myself was this really beneficial on this occasion?

Perhaps the benefit is not so much the doubling of the pawns as eliminating the light-square bishops. A few moves from now, White's will be at b5 where it exerts indirect pressure at e5, whereas Black's will be at d7 where it blocks the d-file. Black will then seek the exchange of these bishops at a cost of several tempi.

10...d5

I preferred this, rejoining the Queen and dark-squared Bishop whilst looking to open central files

Unfortunately, Black has no viable way to increase the pressure and immediately exchanged at e4, dissipating Black's space advantage along the d-file. Later, White could have opposed rooks but failed to.

18.Rfe1

White probably should contest the d-file: 18. Rfd1 Nc6 (18...Rxd1+ 19. Rxd1 Rxd1+ 20. Qxd1 Nxe4 21. Qd8+ Bf8 22. Ne7+) 19. Bxf6 Qxf6 20. Rxd7 Rxd7 21. Rd1 seems about equal.

23. N3h4

It seems that 23. Qb5 can be answered by 23...Bb6 because once White's f3-knight has taken at e5, ...Rd1 will lead to ...Nxe4, regaining the pawn.

25...g5

? Stockfish doesn't like this move at all.

I agree with the silicon analyst. I'm not sure what White does after 25...h5:

A) 26. g5 Qxh3 27. Qc4+ (27. gxf6 Qxg3+ 28. Kf1 Qh3+ 29. Kg1 Rd3) 27...Rd5! 28. gxf6 (28. exd5 Qxg3+ 29. Kh1 Qf3+ 30. Kh2 Ng4+) 28...Qxg3+ 29. Kh1 Bxf2 30. f7+ Kf8 31. Qf1 Rd3.

B) 26. gxh5 Qxh3 27. Qc4+ Rd5 28. Nf1 Qg4+.

C) 26. Bg5 hxg4 27. Bxf6 (27. hxg4 Rf8! 28. Bxf6 Rxf6 29. Nh1 Rf4) 27...gxf6 28. Qxg4 (28. hxg4 Rd2 29. Rad1 Bxf2+!) 28...Qxg4 29. hxg4 Rd2 30. Re2 Rxe2 31. Nxe2 Rd2.

It looks like I'm giving up the light-squares, but it's not true as I have another g-pawn!

I'm not sure why it's necessary to weaken f6 and h6 (by ...g6).

35...Rd1

Black has won a pawn, but at the expense of giving up the d-file

34...Rxb2 seems premature. 34...Nd6 would block the file in advance and add the threat 35...Rd3+ and 36...Nxe4.
  13. Subscriber64squaresofpain
    The drunk knight
    Stuck on g1
    Moves
    20 Mar '21 15:31
    @FMDavidHLevin

Thank you David for taking the time to dissect all the games, it's provided much to think about.

For the most part I agree with your analysis,
    it's just when I include annotations I try keep them short and "simplified" so as not to overcook it.
    When you hit the reader with line after line of in depth analysis, alternative moves and thoughts,
    it can sometimes shake some folks off.

I can't agree with everything you've said though.
    For instance, game 5 you saw no benefit of 26...g6 "as it weakens f6 and h6.

Bobby Fischer said "you gotta give squares to get squares".
    In that position, it was much more important to hold f4/h4 and f5/h5 from Black's perspective,
    as then I'm dominating both the King-side and the central d-file.
    Also I'm fairly sure in this position that f6 and h6 are safe.
    Yes h5 was a better option on move 25 I agree. Perhaps I should have mentioned this.

The game 4 endgame wasn't perfectly done by any means.
    The "involved" line you mention after c5 dxc5 perhaps did merit further explanation,
    but I gathered it was a clear win. Perhaps I could have expanded by saying:
    "Black will also promote, but White having the initiative will take pawns with check and eventually force a queen trade on g5"

Thanks again, I'm humbled!
  14. Joined
    15 Dec '20
    Moves
    21 Mar '21 02:051 edit
    Hi Zak,
    You're welcome.

I agree that it makes sense that your notes weren't intended to be part of an annotated games collection. 8^)

My one-liner about 26...g6 wasn't thought out. But if I hadn't made it, your reply wouldn't have addressed it, and I wouldn't have been prompted to revisit it. 8^)

I think I see the rationale behind 25...g5. If White gets to play f4, this would give White a passed e-pawn, and Black's pawn majority on the g- and h-files would be immobile. Playing ...g5 not only would prevent White's playing f4 but would secure the f4-square for Black's knight. And were White to play bishop takes knight at f4, the absence of that bishop would weaken the d2-square.

But the weakening effect of 25...g5 and 26...g6 shouldn't be taken lightly. Suppose that instead of 27. Nf1, White had played 27. Rh1, intending 28. h4 if Black's queen or knight were to move and thus release control of g4. (Come to think of it, 28. h4 might be close to not losing material even if Black retains two pieces hitting g4, because Black would have a pawn attacked also.) If Black were to meet h4... by ...gxh4, then the recapture Rxh4 would saddle Black with a serious weakness at h6. Probably Black could prepare the redeployment of his queen or knight so that White's move h4 and recapture by the rook would allow Black to somehow exploit the rook's absence from the first rank, but it would take some thought.

I am glad that my observations were useful and hope that other folks will consider posting some of their games for constructive comment (which I really enjoy sharing).

(Note: I edited this post for clarity.)
  15. e4
    Moves
    21 Mar '21 10:48
    Hi,64squaresofpain

You to David@ 'Thanks David for taking the time to analyse my worst game!"

That is how is should be, Find a fault and try and iron it out.
    I always, if I could, took the ½ point bye. on a Friday.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree