1. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    03 May '07 00:58
    Originally posted by RahimK
    Yes 3.Nf3 is the best move followed by 3.e4 taking the center right away.

But since the poster said 3.Nc3 is what he plays I continued with that.

I used to play QG as White and has a few people fall into the Qf3 trap including a 1900 player twice in the same day!

Greedy people trying to hang onto the pawns 😛
    Nah, 3.e4 is definitely best, so much fun. 🙂

There's no way a 1900 fell for the same trap twice...in the same day. Was he...drunk? Or did some hot girl distract him...what the hell?
  2. USA
    Moves
    03 May '07 01:22
    Originally posted by cmsMaster
    Probably the most natural move, but 4.e4 is more popular and seems to be better, I mean, why should white miss the chance to take the entire center?
    black can strike back with e5 and create a position sharper than most d4 players prefer.
  3. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    03 May '07 01:41
    Originally posted by chesskid001
    black can strike back with e5 and create a position sharper than most d4 players prefer.
    Play it sharp or get out!
  4. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    03 May '07 03:20

There's no way a 1900 fell for the same trap twice...in the same day. Was he...drunk? Or did some hot girl distract him...what the hell?
    Stubborn senior. (Nothing against them).

First time I got him good.

Seconds time he knew it was coming and he's like lets try this instead, and Wam Bam, I got him again. Same concept, slightly different move order.

He fell for that trap several times later during the upcoming weeks, not from my hands though.

I was playing a serious game, G 110 min + 30 sec increment and with black I played the Ulvstad variation( can't rememebr how you spell it, been awhile since I played it) and forced my senior opponent to resign in 8 moves!!

Couple weeks later, we were playing some fun chess, Game in 30 min and he went into the same variation, I played my usual move with confidence, he looked up at me, "Oh, it's you" and he played something else. At least he learnt his lesson 🙂
  5. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    03 May '07 03:24

3.Nf3 is a solid move and more popular.

Limits Blacks options.
  6. Joined
    29 Jul '06
    Moves
    03 May '07 03:33
    speaking of the QG, has anyone have a good Albin Countergambit game?
  7. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    03 May '07 03:401 edit
    Originally posted by YUG0slav
    I got several.

Game 946253

Game 916416

Game 946811
  8. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    03 May '07 03:43
    Originally posted by YUG0slav
    Game 1991406
  9. London
    Moves
    03 May '07 04:28
    A quote from Chris Wards recent book on the "Play the Queens Gambit" - the first chapter is on QGA:

"At competition level the most popular way of meeting it is slowly with 3.Nf3 and 4.e3. White quickly regains the pawn but rarely obtains a significant advantage early on. Indeed such encounters can often be dull affairs and it is not uncommon to see games fizzling out into draws. Part of the reason for that is that White players shy away from the complications of 3.e4, possibly because they feel it will be too much for them to learn or that one mistake could be fatal"

The chapter then deals with the lines after 3.e4

3...e6?!, 4.Bxc4
    3...b5, 4.a4
    3...Nf6 4.e5
    3...Nc6 4.Nf3
    3...e5 4.Nf3
    3...c5 4.d5
  10. London
    Moves
    03 May '07 09:44
    When I started playing chess I was told that black should not accept the pawn as it was good for white who gets better development. I just accepted that as a truth.

Whilst it may be true that it's good for white against a beginner who's just taking the pawn because they can - I now realise it's not quite as simple as that - there are many sharp continuations that are worth preparing for.
  11. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    03 May '07 10:11
    Originally posted by Mahout
    When I started playing chess I was told that black should not accept the pawn as it was good for white who gets better development. I just accepted that as a truth.

Whilst it may be true that it's good for white against a beginner who's just taking the pawn because they can - I now realise it's not quite as simple as that - there are many sharp continuations that are worth preparing for.
    I play the said 'boring' lines with e3 where you recapture the pawn without letting black defend it. I don't quite understand why these are considered boring? Ok, no one attacks until the middle game but what's wrong with that? One thing he isn't taking into account is that weaker players (ie, under 2000 players) generally manouver badly. We can all get excited by a sweet tactical continuation, but find strong moves in a level position that requires a lot of maneuvering is not something that comes naturally to many people, it has to be learned and requires technique. These 'boring' lines are incredibly hard to avoid for black if they play 1..d5. From the white side this is ideal as you reach similar middle game positions regularly which means you're not re-inventing the wheel every time you sit at the board. They've served me really well for years now...
  12. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    03 May '07 10:13
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    Game 1991406
    Couldn't black have played 17..Nxf7 Surely that wins a piece??
  13. London
    Moves
    03 May '07 11:35
    Originally posted by Marinkatomb
    Couldn't black have played 17..Nxf7 Surely that wins a piece??
    The knight on e5 is defending the other knight (on c6) against the f3 Bishop so if:

17. ....Nxf7
    then
    18.Bxc6...Qxc6 (forced preventing mate on b7)
    19.Qxf7. capturing the cheeky knight
  14. London
    Moves
    03 May '07 11:39
    Originally posted by Marinkatomb
    [b]I play the said 'boring' lines with e3 where you recapture the pawn without letting black defend it. I don't quite understand why these are considered boring? Ok, no one attacks until t
    "find(ing) strong moves in a level position that requires a lot of maneuvering is not something that comes naturally to many people, it has to be learned and requires technique."

Good point! And also one of the difficulties I have when following and trying to learn from master games - not really knowing why some of the moves have been played.
  15. Joined
    03 Mar '07
    Moves
    03 May '07 12:46
    Originally posted by Mahout
    The knight on e5 is defending the other knight (on c6) against the f3 Bishop so if:

17. ....Nxf7
    then
    18.Bxc6...Qxc6 (forced preventing mate on b7)
    19.Qxf7. capturing the cheeky knight
    Yes but 17. .... Qxf7 seems to win that piece.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree