1. Milton Keynes, UK
    Moves
    03 Jul '19 21:52
    Game 13317118

I have tried to castle here, but with no success. Currently move 5. Is it possible to castle in this position? What am I missing?
  2. Milton Keynes, UK
    Moves
    03 Jul '19 22:07
    Ahhh, looks like the original FEN doesn't allow for castling availability, so a flaw of the site.

I just experimented with setting up a new Fischer random and it has all the castling options turned off. Upon turning them on, it then shows "Illegal setup".
  3. Standard memberPatzering
    is getting old...
    Moves
    04 Jul '19 02:41
    I was looking at it and it's confusing.
    When you create a game like that you have to pick if the players can castle kingside and/or queenside.

As soon as I seen those options I left.

My personal opinion is if you haven't mastered classical chess then why bother with that "other" chess.

Why is it called Fischer random chess?
    Such a dumb name and masters were talking about it long before Fischer.

You calling it chess 960 was a breath of fresh air. So many people obsessed with Fischer I want to puke.

Sorry I couldn't help you.
  4. Milton Keynes, UK
    Moves
    05 Jul '19 01:16
    @Patzering

I simply thought I would give it a try, and I can see the appeal. Like any other chess variant you just have to classify it as a completely different game. You can't rely on databases or memory, and have to rely on strategy and tactics right from the start. The dynamic of the game is completely different. The beginning would be mostly improving the position for your pieces, as typically they would be quite terrible (like in my current Chess 960 games, even though it isn't really Chess 960 because I can't castle).

As for the name, I agree with you, and it seems that is the official name because the criteria wasn't to be named after anyone, and the name is also quite descriptive based on the number of combinations.
  5. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    05 Jul '19 10:52
    @lausey

Just updated thread Thread 181589 with some evidence of the new code to support 960 castling. I can't right now estimate when this will be merged into RHP though, unfortunately. Quite a lot of work remaining to get to that point.
  6. Joined
    06 Nov '15
    Moves
    05 Jul '19 12:41
    What is this chess "960" referring too?
    I've heard it used here and elsewhere, but have no idea what it means. Is it an engine?
  7. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    05 Jul '19 13:48
    @WOLFE63

Chess960, also known as Fischer Random Chess or Fischerandom, is a variant of chess invented and advocated by former world chess champion Bobby Fischer

Chess 960 Wiki Page
  8. Joined
    06 Nov '15
    Moves
    05 Jul '19 20:35
    @russ said
    @WOLFE63

Chess960, also known as Fischer Random Chess or Fischerandom, is a variant of chess invented and advocated by former world chess champion Bobby Fischer

[=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chess960]Chess 960 Wiki Page[/]
    OK, I get it now. Thank you. 🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree