1. Standard memberelassasino
    king of vectors
    center squares :p
    Moves
    15 Jun '14 13:15
    Hello's to all from broiling arizona.
    I havent found a full discussion on the above ( http://www.redhotpawn.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=17705 )
    But the rudeness of just resigning w/o a chat discussion w/ your opponent is just so rude & self centered. I think there should be a site list of players who resign w/o notice. & whats wrong w/ a friendly hello & goodbye (chat) for such an effort & a classy game? 🙂
  2. e4
    Moves
    15 Jun '14 14:172 edits
    Hi,

I usually say 'Good Luck' and have a wee chat at the end of the game.

However you must remember there are a fair number of players on here
    who will not have English as their first language.

In one case after 3 PM's my opponent eventually replied via a friend of his
    that he never understood anything I was saying.

I used to in the early days send each player a thank you if I used their
    game in a blog.

This was a practice I soon dropped after getting a couple of, shall I say, 'unhealthy' replies.

Some guys just don't want to chat.

---
    I send a message during the game if I think it can put my opponent off or lure him into a trap.

"My last move was a mistake, sorry, after you have taken the Knight
    (which I want them to do) send an offer of a draw, I will accept."

Of course they offer a draw, (mugs) I don't accept the draw and show
    them the trap they have fallen into.

They swear, curse me, damn me, threaten me....
    And after I have put the trap in the blog they send letter bombs to my house.
  3. Standard memberelassasino
    king of vectors
    Moves
    15 Jun '14 16:55
    good point about mutiple languages, and i love (& loathe) the idea of a negotiated end w/ a surprise attack ... haha ... : }
  4. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    15 Jun '14 18:02
    Originally posted by elassasino
    I havent found a full discussion on the above ( http://www.redhotpawn.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=17705 )
    But the rudeness of just resigning w/o a chat discussion w/ your opponent is just so rude & self centered. I think there should be a site list of players who resign w/o notice. & whats wrong w/ a friendly hello & goodbye (chat) for such an effort & a classy game? 🙂
    I don't chat with most of my opponents.

Most of them don't chat with me.

I find none of this 'rude' or 'self-centered'.

Therefore, it would be more practical to have a list of 'social' players, since that list is much smaller, and therefore easier to maintain.
  5. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    15 Jun '14 22:59
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    I don't chat with most of my opponents.

Most of them don't chat with me.

I find none of this 'rude' or 'self-centered'.

Therefore, it would be more practical to have a list of 'social' players, since that list is much smaller, and therefore easier to maintain.
    Same with me. I actually find chatting in a game a minor pain. Greetings are fine, but if people are chatting with me I find I have to think about what to say, and so I spend whatever time I spend on my move plus and extra five or ten minutes trying to work out what to say to someone I've never met and am not likely to. Besides I use conditional moves and that rules out the possibility of chatting.

As far as I am concerned good etiquette largely concerns not drawing a game out unnecessarily. I'm not talking about people who play on to checkmate every time as long as they move promptly that's not a problem. I'm more on about people who move once or twice a day (say) when it's equal and then when they are definitely lost start taking the maximum time available right until the bitter end. It's fair to take extra time in difficult but maybe savable positions, the positions I'm talking about are dead losses.

As a subscriber I found this a pain for game number management reasons, and as a non-subscriber it is a pain as I only have 6 games.
  6. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    16 Jun '14 00:371 edit
    I on the other hand welcome any and all of my opponent's resignations with or without conversation. In fact I encourage them to do so and have been known to prompt such actions with sharp moves.

(It's a little cooler in Colorado. I think the heat got to you bro.)
  7. Standard memberSchlecter
    The King of Board
    Solar System
    Moves
    16 Jun '14 03:22
    Just try to chat with female players, you can find them in the Sieges.....
    ========
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Jun '14 13:56
    If you lose you should send your nude picture to your oponent.
    If you win you can leave your hat on.
    Draw? You are both half undressed.
  9. SubscriberThe Gravedigger
    Jack Torrance
    Overlook Hotel
    Moves
    16 Jun '14 21:21
    If you want to Jibber Jabber go on twitter.
  10. Standard memberelassasino
    king of vectors
    Moves
    17 Jun '14 10:49
    ... funny how some defenders of la rude, are trying to deflect the discussion to weather or not being chatty is desired ... the real nugget was the non-notification after a dozen moves or so of quiting the game ... & derailing most of us in our need to practice mid & end game strategies ... some of the suggestions are quite novel, & while in that mode, i shall leave mulling; do the same peeple who play chess in total digital silence also njoy their sex w/o nary a whisper?
  11. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    17 Jun '14 16:16
    ... funny how some defenders of la rude, are trying to deflect the discussion to weather or not being chatty is desired ... the real nugget was the non-notification after a dozen moves or so of quiting the game ... & derailing most of us in our need to practice mid & end game strategies ... some of the suggestions are quite novel, & while in that mode, i ...[text shortened]... the same peeple who play chess in total digital silence also njoy their sex w/o nary a whisper?
    You had no 'nuggets'. You're just another n00b that doesn't understand that your opponent has no obligation whatsoever to teach you about the game, or regale you with conversation during the game.

Speaking of getting derailed in practicing strategies - how did you fail to learn to spell? 😕
  12. Standard memberbyedidia
    Mister Why
    San Carlos, CA
    Moves
    17 Jun '14 21:53
    A chess game IS a conversation.
  13. Shanghai
    Moves
    18 Jun '14 00:241 edit
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    ...Besides I use conditional moves and that rules out the possibility of chatting.
    How about a conditional chat feature? If an opponent says "Good Move" you can automatically reply with "Thank you I am glad you appreciated it". These could be set up in preferences including an initial greeting so opponents can merrily chat away automatically without having to think about what to say or even reading the opponents messages.

It would be the best of both worlds. I think though you should set up your own chat in such a feature and not use some sort of chat engine.
  14. Standard memberbyedidia
    Mister Why
    San Carlos, CA
    Moves
    18 Jun '14 02:23
    Ooh, a chat engine! I love it! I will henceforth feed any comments to me into Eliza.

http://www.manifestation.com/neurotoys/eliza.php3

> Hello, I am Eliza.
    * Nice move
    > Don't you ever say Hello?
    * Hello
    > How are you today... What would you like to discuss?
    * Nice move.
    > Tell me more...
    * Your knight fork, it was effective.
    > Why are you concerned about my knight fork, it were effective?

It will drive my opponents bonkers!
  15. Joined
    18 Feb '10
    Moves
    18 Jun '14 07:16
    Does Eliza still frequent teenage chatrooms? I used to love reading the transcriptions of conversations it had with grumpy kids.

e.g.
    https://web.archive.org/web/20070621171650/http://leknor.com/aim/leknorchat/sample1.php

See this link for how it came about:
    https://web.archive.org/web/20080101124857/http://leknor.com/aim/leknorchat/faq.php

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree