1. Account suspended
    Moves
    29 Oct '17 15:465 edits
    Inspired by GP's assertion that Smyslov had had an affair with an "Yougoslavian GM and journalist" during Candidates tournament in Yugoslavia in 1959.

There are not many candidates for that role.
    Milunka Lazarević looks most likely the one.
    She used to be one fo the prettiest chessesses in the World ever.

There is a story that Mikhail Tal was also in love in her and jealous on Smyslov. He defeated Smyslov in 4th round of that tournament and Miss Lazarević was sitting in first row.
    When Tal sacrified in 25th move, he got off the table and came t Miss Lazarević and said to her:
    - I did it for you, madamme!

Smyslov had beaten his wife in 1962 so she had to file a comlaint to Central Committee to get a civlised divorce and a flat. Smyslov had t live bachelor lfie in rented studios for some next years.

Russian GMs' wives looked pretty much like female wrestler, which sparked a theory in CIA circles, that they (GMs) are latent homosexuals.

Of all World Champions, only Capablanca had a presentable wife, real beauty, other had rich fat monsters for wives.

Milunka Lazarević was inches away from becoming a challenger of Nina Gaprindashvilli. But in the last round of Candidatesses' tournament, she refused a draw against an American down-tabled player, whose rich husband approached to Miss Layarević wth an offer.

- Do you really think I am excited by making a quick draw with your not-so-good wife?! - said Miss Lazarević to him, and she was punished for her arogancy the same way Bora Ivkov was in La Habana 1965.

She lost the game n last round and had to play play-off with two other players.

Yugoslav Chess Association had troubles with Miss Lazarević, and without her knowledge wrote to FIDE that Miss Lazarević wants SSSR as a host of play-off threematch!!! It was their dirty revenche.

It was held in Kyev, and many years later now divorced and again Miss Lazarević disclosed that from that play-off in SSSR she was suffering from ailing health ever since. In 1980. she finally visited a good doctor in Belgium who said to her:
    - You had been poisoned!

Milunka Lazarević has a son and now is living in a facilitating home for old people in Belgrade. She is 82, but still in good shape. Once a week she welcomes her son and daughter-in-law and prepares a lunch for them in her studio.

Her husband used to beat her. They had been divorced for decades and he is now dead.

I caught a quick glimpse of her at Gligoric's funeral some years ago.

She was talented journalist, with a guift for interview just like Oriana Fallaci. He once refused to take an interview from Bobby Fischer because she "had to sleep"!

She was always saying:
    - I love two things in life: to smoke cigarettes and to sleep.

She didn't like sex either. Chess and sex don't come together very often...
  2. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    29 Oct '17 17:43
    Perhaps the skills and abilities to romance and pleasure women do not coincide very well with excelling at chess.
  3. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    31 Oct '17 07:45
    Natalia Pogonina is quite a 'presentable' WGM.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natalia_Pogonina
  4. santa cruz, ca.
    Moves
    01 Nov '17 15:13
    Originally posted by @vandervelde
    Inspired by GP's assertion that Smyslov had had an affair with an "Yougoslavian GM and journalist" during Candidates tournament in Yugoslavia in 1959.

There are not many candidates for that role.
    Milunka Lazarević looks most likely the one.
    She used to be one fo the prettiest chessesses in the World ever.

There is a story that Mikhail Tal was a ...[text shortened]... tes and to sleep.

She didn't like sex either. Chess and sex don't come together very often...
    how's your rich fat monster doing?
    or are you a latent homosexual?
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Nov '17 18:53
    Originally posted by @lemondrop
    how's your rich fat monster doing?
    or are you a latent homosexual?
    I am neither Russian Gm nor ex-World champ.

The question may well be if I would trade my present chess amateur & bachelor-in-poverty status for GM title and rich wife who would support me?

Right now I am in great financial crisis, I barely manage to pay food and phones and can't even afford re-sub for RHP
    Reveal Hidden Content
    no to mention to promote my book
    so maybe even my arrs could be on sale soon.
  6. santa cruz, ca.
    Moves
    01 Nov '17 19:58
    Originally posted by @vandervelde
    I am neither Russian Gm nor ex-World champ.

The question may well be if I would trade my present chess amateur & bachelor-in-poverty status for GM title and rich wife who would support me?

Right now I am in great financial crisis, I barely manage to pay food and phones and can't even afford re-sub for RHP
    [hidden]no to mention to promote my book[/hidden] so maybe even my arrs could be on sale soon.
    and yet you continue to be a world traveler
  7. Standard membersundown316
    The Mighty Messenger
    The Wood of N'Kai
    Moves
    01 Nov '17 20:21
    Any proof Smyslov was a wife beater?
  8. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    Moves
    10 Nov '17 21:071 edit
    Originally posted by @sundown316
    Any proof Smyslov was a wife beater?
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    10 Nov '17 23:21
    I will investigate this by means of advanced search engines before New Year Eve.
    So far I can only submit indirect evidence, namely that Vladimir Vuković, legendary years-long editor of Chess Messenger and always good informed (even about Fischer's love affair in Buenos Aires in 1960) wrote some cryptical about it while commenting Smyslov's defeat in Queen Indian Defense around 1960.
  10. San Francisco, CA US
    Moves
    13 Nov '17 23:46
    The lady herself.

http://www.chessdom.com/wgm-milunka-lazarevic-turns-83-today/
  11. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    19 Nov '17 12:35
    Originally posted by @eladar
    Perhaps the skills and abilities to romance and pleasure women do not coincide very well with excelling at chess.
    Now I know I will never be a GM.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree