1. Ohio
    Moves
    22 Feb '21 20:02
    Would like some honest opinions about Chessbase. Thanks
  2. Joined
    13 Feb '21
    Moves
    22 Feb '21 23:04
    Are you talking about the intergalactic space station that fights aliens at chess?
  3. e4
    Moves
    23 Feb '21 09:18
    HI drcyclops,

The chessbase news site or the DataBase program.

The Database program is ideal for a writer/blogger, it's find positions,
    manoeuvres, material balances search routines are invaluable.
  4. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    02 Mar '21 23:49
    I have the database program, and I love it. It has so many useful functions that it takes some time to learn it, but it's not hard to learn- just voluminous.

For example, one function I love is the "find similar endgames" function. I was on the defending side of a Rook+2 Pawns vs Rook ending against a 2300 player here on the site, and drew the game using that function plus some Karsten Meuller theory.

At two different points during the ending, we actually got database hits where our exact position had occurred in GM games. I think people stop looking at databases after the opening, but I do it for every move- you'd be surprised how often something pops up.

When I ran an engine on it after the fact, it turns out that the ending was a straightforward tablebase draw anyway (lots of positions where I could have played a bunch of different moves, all of which drew), which deflated my pride a bit.

Regardless, it was an awesome practical learning experience, and after about two months of working through the ending in the game, I am far more comfortable defending it OTB.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree