1. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    04 Apr '19 02:59
    I hope this isn't a repost, but In 2000 Nigel Short lost 8 straight online blitz games against Bobby Fischer (so he claims) This at a time Short was one of the best blitz players in the world. A youtube link on one of these is below.

I've never heard of this. Has anyone else?

YouTube
  2. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    04 Apr '19 09:11
    @mchill said
    I hope this isn't a repost, but In 2000 Nigel Short lost 8 straight online blitz games against Bobby Fischer (so he claims) This at a time Short was one of the best blitz players in the world. A youtube link on one of these is below.

I've never heard of this. Has anyone else?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7B9p2PrsKWY
    I've heard of it, and I've heard Short pronounced a fool for believing he really was playing Fischer and not Fritz.
  3. Joined
    08 Apr '12
    Moves
    04 Apr '19 14:50
    Yeah, it's a charming idea, but I think Occam's Razor should seriously apply here, absent any other evidence I'm unaware of.
  4. Donationketchuplover
    Isolated Pawn
    Wisconsin USA
    Moves
    05 Apr '19 19:46
    Fischer is a copycat
  5. e4
    Moves
    05 Apr '19 23:111 edit
    Fischer denied it but what aroused Short's curiosity was he asked the player,
    who was not claiming to be Fischer if he knew Armando Acevedo (do you?)

Apparently the answer was instant. 'Siegen 1970' and nothing more.
    Short then reasoned he was playing and getting beat by Fischer.
    (Fischer played Armano Acevedo in the 1970 Olympiad.)

Later someone claimed Short's opponents moves match up with a computer.
    So a computer jockey with a knowledge of chess history is the best we can get.

Fischer denying it may have been because then everyone would look at his handle,
    then his games and he may have a few awful games in there. Blitz can produce some horrors.
  6. Standard memberchessturd
    Trump 2020
    Moves
    08 Apr '19 01:49
    Please God let some American (born here) win the world championship so people can stop talking about Fischer.
    Please God. For me.

He ran away from Karpov people!!

Weak sauce.
  7. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    08 Apr '19 20:31
    Anyone who reads New In Chess would appreciate this: Wouldn't it be hilarious to find out that the online Fischer imposter was female?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree