Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. 12 Apr '12 13:50
    Hi everyone, [GameId "9204327"]
    My opponent refuses to make a different move just so he can get a draw! It is clear the game is very much winnable for white here but he knows once he stops checking me, he would lose the game so he keeps on moving to the same spot hoping for a draw. Can someone look into this? I mean if what he is doing is ok then all the games that are about to lose can be claimed as draw can they not? I'm very much interested to know what the rules are here? Thank you
  2. 12 Apr '12 14:03 / 1 edit
    Hi Red

    "....I'm very much interested to know what the rules are here? "

    You are not allowed to ask questions about a game in progress.
    I know you mean well but those are the rules.
    If you can, Edit your post so you delete everything and just say OOPS!
  3. 12 Apr '12 14:39 / 1 edit
    green, thanks for the reply but I didnt ask for anyone to tell me what move to make in the game thats in progress. I merely meant what to do when an opponent thats losing a game tries to force a draw! I hope it is more clear now. Thank You
  4. Subscriber Ponderable
    chemist
    12 Apr '12 14:49
    Originally posted by RedKnight12
    green, thanks for the reply but I didnt ask for anyone to tell me what move to make in the game thats in progress. I merely meant what to do when an opponent thats losing a game tries to force a draw! I hope it is more clear now. Thank You
    The answer can be found in the help section.

    And you did give details on the game, so you are technically asking for advice on a game in progress.

    btw if your opponent manages to achieve a draw by legal means it means that you have not won the game.
  5. Standard member kingshill
    Mr Ring Rusty
    12 Apr '12 15:33
    There are at least 2 ways of achieving a draw without agreement. (This is not meant as a definitive answer but a help to the poster)

    FIDE rule 9.2

    a. The game is drawn, upon a correct claim by the player having the move, when the same position, for at least the third time (not necessarily by sequential repetition of moves)

    The fact that it does not have to be consecutive sequence of moves can be very important. In one of the Korchnoi - Karpov World Champ matches a position was reached when the game was adjourned that was winning for Korchnoi but in order to execute the win he had to traverse a position that had already been reached twice before. Therefore, he was unable to convert the win.

    b. After the last pawn move or capture the game is drawn once 50 moves have been made.

    The fifty-move rule in chess states that a player can claim a draw if no capture has been made and no pawn has been moved in the last fifty consecutive moves (fifty moves by each side).
  6. Subscriber Ponderable
    chemist
    12 Apr '12 15:43
    Originally posted by kingshill
    There are at least 2 ways of achieving a draw without agreement. (This is not meant as a definitive answer but a help to the poster)

    FIDE rule 9.2

    a. The game is drawn, upon a correct claim by the player having the move, when the same position, for at least the third time (not necessarily by sequential repetition of moves)

    The fact that it does ...[text shortened]... made and no pawn has been moved in the last fifty consecutive moves (fifty moves by each side).
    so the correct answer by shuld have been:

    FAQ
  7. 12 Apr '12 15:48
    It's called perpetual check.If you cannot avoid a perpetual you're simply not winning.

    if every game could be saved that way then I reckon nobody would be playing.
    Try it next time you're losing,you'll be surprised.
  8. 12 Apr '12 16:32
    Originally posted by Wilfriedva
    It's called perpetual check.If you cannot avoid a perpetual you're simply not winning.

    if every game could be saved that way then I reckon nobody would be playing.
    Try it next time you're losing,you'll be surprised.
    WOW! I am surprised big time! If thats true, from now on whenever Im behind in a game and I know the chance of winning is very low I can just keep checking an opponent going back and forth to the same spot hoping to get a draw? No logic there at all but if thats the rule on here I guess I would have to just go with it.
  9. 12 Apr '12 17:10
    Originally posted by RedKnight12
    WOW! I am surprised big time! If thats true, from now on whenever Im behind in a game and I know the chance of winning is very low I can just keep checking an opponent going back and forth to the same spot hoping to get a draw? No logic there at all but if thats the rule on here I guess I would have to just go with it.
    that's the rule everywhere they play according to the official rules.

    you really seem to think it's easy to accomplish,you'll soon find out it's not.
    Else,as I said before,we would not be playing this game
  10. Standard member hedonist
    peacedog's keeper
    12 Apr '12 17:21
    Originally posted by RedKnight12
    WOW! I am surprised big time! If thats true, from now on whenever Im behind in a game and I know the chance of winning is very low I can just keep checking an opponent going back and forth to the same spot hoping to get a draw? No logic there at all but if thats the rule on here I guess I would have to just go with it.
    Congratulations. You have solved chess. What next? Cluedo?
  11. 12 Apr '12 18:06
    Originally posted by RedKnight12
    WOW! I am surprised big time! If thats true, from now on whenever Im behind in a game and I know the chance of winning is very low I can just keep checking an opponent going back and forth to the same spot hoping to get a draw? No logic there at all but if thats the rule on here I guess I would have to just go with it.
    Crikey! All those games I have lost could have been draws!!!! I would therefore have been undefeated in 49 years of playing chess. Silly, silly me!
  12. Standard member ChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    12 Apr '12 18:21
    The nerve of some people, using the rules of play to their advantage! He should gladly resign instead of forcing a draw.
  13. 12 Apr '12 21:07
    Thanks cowboy, Thats what I would do as well. In fact I did that when I played him 2 games before this one. I knew I had almost no chance of winning, I just resigned.
    And I agree michael, if only I had known this, I could have turned most of my losses to draws not just on RHP (I'm new here) but since I first began playing years ago!
  14. 12 Apr '12 22:05
    Originally posted by RedKnight12
    Thanks cowboy, Thats what I would do as well. In fact I did that when I played him 2 games before this one. I knew I had almost no chance of winning, I just resigned.
    And I agree michael, if only I had known this, I could have turned most of my losses to draws not just on RHP (I'm new here) but since I first began playing years ago!
    Where did you have a check in this game that you resigned
  15. Subscriber sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    13 Apr '12 01:18 / 2 edits
    So at RHP there is no automatic draw? It has to be requested, a draw claim? It must be like that since in the game in question the position repeated about a half dozen times and no draw came up.
    It is up to the guy making the checks to claim draw? Or can either party do it? If the position has been repeated so many times, if a draw is claimed, is it automatic then?
    So the gist of that is that the guy doing the checking must not either want a draw or doesn't know there is a forced draw in such situations?