1. Joined
    08 Apr '12
    Moves
    12 Apr '12 13:50
    Hi everyone, [GameId "9204327"]
    My opponent refuses to make a different move just so he can get a draw! It is clear the game is very much winnable for white here but he knows once he stops checking me, he would lose the game so he keeps on moving to the same spot hoping for a draw. Can someone look into this? I mean if what he is doing is ok then all the games that are about to lose can be claimed as draw can they not? I'm very much interested to know what the rules are here? Thank you
  2. e4
    Moves
    12 Apr '12 14:031 edit
    Hi Red

"....I'm very much interested to know what the rules are here? "

You are not allowed to ask questions about a game in progress.
    I know you mean well but those are the rules.
    If you can, Edit your post so you delete everything and just say OOPS!
  3. Joined
    08 Apr '12
    Moves
    12 Apr '12 14:391 edit
    green, thanks for the reply but I didnt ask for anyone to tell me what move to make in the game thats in progress. I merely meant what to do when an opponent thats losing a game tries to force a draw! I hope it is more clear now. Thank You
  4. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    12 Apr '12 14:49
    Originally posted by RedKnight12
    green, thanks for the reply but I didnt ask for anyone to tell me what move to make in the game thats in progress. I merely meant what to do when an opponent thats losing a game tries to force a draw! I hope it is more clear now. Thank You
    The answer can be found in the help section.

And you did give details on the game, so you are technically asking for advice on a game in progress.

btw if your opponent manages to achieve a draw by legal means it means that you have not won the game.
  5. Standard memberkingshill
    Mr Ring Rusty
    Wales
    Moves
    12 Apr '12 15:33
    There are at least 2 ways of achieving a draw without agreement. (This is not meant as a definitive answer but a help to the poster)

FIDE rule 9.2

a. The game is drawn, upon a correct claim by the player having the move, when the same position, for at least the third time (not necessarily by sequential repetition of moves)

The fact that it does not have to be consecutive sequence of moves can be very important. In one of the Korchnoi - Karpov World Champ matches a position was reached when the game was adjourned that was winning for Korchnoi but in order to execute the win he had to traverse a position that had already been reached twice before. Therefore, he was unable to convert the win.

b. After the last pawn move or capture the game is drawn once 50 moves have been made.

The fifty-move rule in chess states that a player can claim a draw if no capture has been made and no pawn has been moved in the last fifty consecutive moves (fifty moves by each side).
  6. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    12 Apr '12 15:43
    Originally posted by kingshill
    There are at least 2 ways of achieving a draw without agreement. (This is not meant as a definitive answer but a help to the poster)

FIDE rule 9.2

a. The game is drawn, upon a correct claim by the player having the move, when the same position, for at least the third time (not necessarily by sequential repetition of moves)

The fact that it does ...[text shortened]... made and no pawn has been moved in the last fifty consecutive moves (fifty moves by each side).
    so the correct answer by shuld have been:

FAQ
  7. Joined
    21 Jan '12
    Moves
    12 Apr '12 15:48
    It's called perpetual check.If you cannot avoid a perpetual you're simply not winning.

if every game could be saved that way then I reckon nobody would be playing.
    Try it next time you're losing,you'll be surprised.
  8. Joined
    08 Apr '12
    Moves
    12 Apr '12 16:32
    Originally posted by Wilfriedva
    It's called perpetual check.If you cannot avoid a perpetual you're simply not winning.

if every game could be saved that way then I reckon nobody would be playing.
    Try it next time you're losing,you'll be surprised.
    WOW! I am surprised big time! If thats true, from now on whenever Im behind in a game and I know the chance of winning is very low I can just keep checking an opponent going back and forth to the same spot hoping to get a draw? No logic there at all but if thats the rule on here I guess I would have to just go with it.
  9. Joined
    21 Jan '12
    Moves
    12 Apr '12 17:10
    WOW! I am surprised big time! If thats true, from now on whenever Im behind in a game and I know the chance of winning is very low I can just keep checking an opponent going back and forth to the same spot hoping to get a draw? No logic there at all but if thats the rule on here I guess I would have to just go with it.
    that's the rule everywhere they play according to the official rules.

you really seem to think it's easy to accomplish,you'll soon find out it's not.
    Else,as I said before,we would not be playing this game
  10. Standard memberhedonist
    peacedog's keeper
    Moves
    12 Apr '12 17:21
    Congratulations. You have solved chess. What next? Cluedo?
  11. out on bail
    Moves
    12 Apr '12 18:06
    Crikey! All those games I have lost could have been draws!!!! I would therefore have been undefeated in 49 years of playing chess. Silly, silly me!
  12. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    12 Apr '12 18:21
    The nerve of some people, using the rules of play to their advantage! He should gladly resign instead of forcing a draw.
  13. Joined
    08 Apr '12
    Moves
    12 Apr '12 21:07
    Thanks cowboy, Thats what I would do as well. In fact I did that when I played him 2 games before this one. I knew I had almost no chance of winning, I just resigned.
    And I agree michael, if only I had known this, I could have turned most of my losses to draws not just on RHP (I'm new here) but since I first began playing years ago!
  14. Joined
    12 Oct '09
    Moves
    12 Apr '12 22:05
    Thanks cowboy, Thats what I would do as well. In fact I did that when I played him 2 games before this one. I knew I had almost no chance of winning, I just resigned.
    And I agree michael, if only I had known this, I could have turned most of my losses to draws not just on RHP (I'm new here) but since I first began playing years ago!
    Where did you have a check in this game that you resigned
  15. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    13 Apr '12 01:182 edits
    So at RHP there is no automatic draw? It has to be requested, a draw claim? It must be like that since in the game in question the position repeated about a half dozen times and no draw came up.
    It is up to the guy making the checks to claim draw? Or can either party do it? If the position has been repeated so many times, if a draw is claimed, is it automatic then?
    So the gist of that is that the guy doing the checking must not either want a draw or doesn't know there is a forced draw in such situations?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree