1. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    01 Aug '10 18:57
    Originally posted by Mad Rook
    I often joke around and use sarcasm, but this time I was sincere and serious. Every ECO list I hit on the internet lists 1.e4 e6 as the French Defense. My MCO-14 also classifies 1.e4 e6 as the French Defense. FCO does the same. My chess GUI's opening book also classifies 1.e4e6 as the French Defense. In fact, I have yet to see it classified as anything else ...[text shortened]... aybe I'm a bit overly interested in this because I just started studying the French Defense.)
    1. e4 e6 IS the French the Defense (ECO C01-C19), but the game might transpose into something else.

1. e4 e6 2. d4 c5 is the Franco-Benoni (ECO volume A)

After 1.e4 e6 2. d4 c5 3.Nf3 cxd4 we have a Sicilian (ECO volume B).

These transpositions do not "bust" ECO, nor do they render the statement that meeting 1.e4 with 1...e6 is anything other than the French. They simply show that openings that start one way can still turn another for several moves.

1. d4 e6 2. e4 c5 3. c3 d5 4. e5 is the French Defense, Advance variation despite the unusual move order.
  2. e4
    Moves
    01 Aug '10 19:02
    1.e4 e6 2.d4 a6 and here comes a St.George.

3. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    01 Aug '10 19:23
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    1. e4 e6 IS the French the Defense (ECO C01-C19), but the game might transpose into something else.

1. e4 e6 2. d4 c5 is the Franco-Benoni (ECO volume A)

After 1.e4 e6 2. d4 c5 3.Nf3 cxd4 we have a Sicilian (ECO volume B).

These transpositions do not "bust" ECO, nor do they render the statement that meeting 1.e4 with 1...e6 is anything other than t ...[text shortened]... e4 c5 3. c3 d5 4. e5 is the French Defense, Advance variation despite the unusual move order.
    ECO simply lists things this way because you have to start somewhere when doing an encyclopedia, and they don't have the luxury of working backwards to label positions because the vast majority of users will start with move 1. They basically have to start with move 1 and cross-reference like crazy.

I think it is also worth noting that ECO was written (and structured) in the pre-PC age. Transpositions are far easier to deal with using a mouse than flipping through a book.

The types of problems that result from ECO's format shortcomings are why New In Chess came up with their own methodology for classifying openings.
  4. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    01 Aug '10 19:25
    Originally posted by Mad Rook
    I often joke around and use sarcasm, but this time I was sincere and serious. Every ECO list I hit on the internet lists 1.e4 e6 as the French Defense. My MCO-14 also classifies 1.e4 e6 as the French Defense. FCO does the same. My chess GUI's opening book also classifies 1.e4e6 as the French Defense. In fact, I have yet to see it classified as anything else ...[text shortened]... aybe I'm a bit overly interested in this because I just started studying the French Defense.)
    Sounds good, and enthusiasm for chess needs no apology!
  5. e4
    Moves
    01 Aug '10 19:28
    And then there is the French wiht as yet no name.

1.e4 e6 2.d4 e5?!

It's not a Danish, it's White to play.

But who in their right mind play such a thing?

A wee trip to the RHP database reveals 2 games have gone this way

Game 169578 is one of them - the Jobsworth Defence.

On here after 1.e4 e6 2.d4 Black has played no fewer than 25 different 2nd moves.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree