1. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    27 Oct '06 19:11
    Originally posted by MerchantParkPro
    There's nothing wrong with the advance variation.....but I though this thread was about a black defence to either 3.Nd2 or 3.Nc3. The advance is defined by white.
    Agh, second person...this thread is about the French defense from the WHITE POINT OF VIEW. WHITE. Not black, WHITE.
  2. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    27 Oct '06 19:21
    And where exactly did you hear this?
    http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessopening?eco=C16
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    27 Oct '06 21:53
    Originally posted by zebano
    http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessopening?eco=C16
    Let's see here........Some anonymous person posts on a newsgroup that Kasparov said something. Well that's as good as coming from Kasparov's mouth as far as i'm concerned.....ROFL!
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    27 Oct '06 21:57
    Chess is a very complicated game and new ideas are being learned deep into the opening all the time. There is no possible way to have any definition so early as move three. Strong players understand this. Anyone who says something absurd like "Nd2 is good for a draw and Nc3 is winning" or anything similiar is either joking, a weak player, or a crook like Reinfeld, Soltis, etc, trying to sell a shoddy chess book.
  5. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    27 Oct '06 21:58

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

6. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    27 Oct '06 21:59

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

7. Joined
    21 Apr '06
    Moves
    27 Oct '06 22:36
    Chess is a very complicated game and new ideas are being learned deep into the opening all the time. There is no possible way to have any definition so early as move three. Strong players understand this. Anyone who says something absurd like "Nd2 is good for a draw and Nc3 is winning" or anything similiar is either joking, a weak player, or a crook like Reinfeld, Soltis, etc, trying to sell a shoddy chess book.
    I will completely agree that the systems 3.e5 and 3.Nd2 have their advantages as well, but I am taking the responsibility to recommend to you to study and to play the most principled move for White and that is - 3.Nc3. Well, I understand that the devotees to that active knight-move must know a lot of theoretical variations, but I can assure you - this move creates most of all problems for Black and it provides White with greatest chances to obtain an opening advantage. I believe these short explanations are going to convince you that Black's move 3...Bb4 disrupts immediately the natural balance on the board. He is ready to exchange a bishop for a knight; meanwhile White will have the kingside as his field for actions. Black will act on the queenside trying to exploit White's weakened pawn-structure there.

Alexander Khalifman
  8. Joined
    17 Aug '06
    Moves
    27 Oct '06 22:45
    The point though is that while Nc3 might be deemed the best move there's no point playing it if it isn't to your style of play or if you are uncomfortable with the resulting positions
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    27 Oct '06 23:26
    Originally posted by Sicilian Smaug
    He wasn't joking. If he was it wasn't all that funny 😉
    I saw it from a link that someone posted here a while back. I don't feel like sifting through 100+ pages of threads to find it.
    Find what? Someone posting something in a newsgroup doesn't make it fact.
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    27 Oct '06 23:27
    Originally posted by yelob
    The point though is that while Nc3 might be deemed the best move there's no point playing it if it isn't to your style of play or if you are uncomfortable with the resulting positions
    3.Nc3 has not been "deemed" the best move, nor is it possible for anyone, yet, to do so.
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    27 Oct '06 23:32
    Originally posted by Bedlam
    I will completely agree that the systems 3.e5 and 3.Nd2 have their advantages as well, but I am taking the responsibility to recommend to you to study and to play the most principled move for White and that is - 3.Nc3. Well, I understand that the devotees to that active knight-move must know a lot of theoretical variations, but I can assure you - this move cr ...[text shortened]... he queenside trying to exploit White's weakened pawn-structure there.

Alexander Khalifman
    I think the fact that the list of Super GM's I gave: Adams, Ivanchuk, Svidler, Leko, Rublevsky, Akopian, Ponomariov, Kasparov, etc, (all of which much stronger and higher rated than Khalifman) all played 3.Nd2 recently, is proof enough that there is nothing "better" about 3.Nc3.
  12. Joined
    07 Nov '04
    Moves
    28 Oct '06 00:17
    Originally posted by cmsMaster
    Now that I've got the attention of every French player on this forum I have a question about this defense from the white perspective. How does the theory of 3.Nc3 compare to that of the Tarrasch? And which do you less like to face and/or have more trouble against?
    I personally mostly play 3.Nc3 these days, though obviously it's ultimately a matter of choice and taste. I personally prefer more open positions, but it's interesting that when I've talked to strong players (including GMs) who play the French which line they most fear, it's often the Advance (3.e5).
  13. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    28 Oct '06 02:36
    Originally posted by Northern Lad
    I personally mostly play 3.Nc3 these days, though obviously it's ultimately a matter of choice and taste. I personally prefer more open positions, but it's interesting that when I've talked to strong players (including GMs) who play the French which line they most fear, it's often the Advance (3.e5).
    Really, 3.e5? I wasn't expecting it to be that honestly, and it's a line that I have used before. Perhaps I should give it another chance, did they give any specific reasons for fearing this move the most?
  14. Donation!~TONY~!
    1...c5!
    Your Kingside
    Moves
    28 Oct '06 04:08
    I guess you know better than GM's: Adams, Ivanchuk, Svidler, Leko, Rublevsky, Akopian, Ponomariov, and a retired old patzer by the name of Gary Kasparov.
    I didn't say what you said I said. Look at the first two words of my post dude. READ. And come into the forums with a better attitude. I state my OPINION, and you attack me. Grow up. And do I have to name all the top GM's that have played 3. Nc3? I think that might be a little excessive, since it's everyone. Just because Adams plays the move doesn't mean it's better. He might just like the move better. I am not saying in the theory Nc3 is better, I am saying I think it's better and I like the move more. Simple as that. And to the person who wants to avoid the doubled c-pawns in the Winawer, check out the line 1. e4 e6 2. d4 d5 3. Nc3 Bb4 4. e5 c5 5. Bd2!?
  15. washington
    Moves
    28 Oct '06 05:27
    you are a sicilian like i am. we prefer sharp tactical lines rather than closed games that have a lot more to do with strategy. when facing defenses that challlenge my center like that i have turned to the exchange variations. in the caro kann and in the french. try it out its a lot easier than being attacked all game.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree