1. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    23 Oct '20 02:472 edits
    I need to be watching more videos on tactics brought about by gambits. It is not the gambit but the tactic and recognizing when to use it.

Case in point videos, the Stafford gambit taking advantage of a pinned f2 pawn. Used the idea to win this game...
  2. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    23 Oct '20 09:58
    @eladar said
    I need to be watching more videos on tactics brought about by gambits. It is not the gambit but the tactic and recognizing when to use it.

Case in point videos, the Stafford gambit taking advantage of a pinned f2 pawn. Used the idea to win this game...
    [pgn][Event "Chessboard Editor at Apronus.com"]
    [Site "https://www.apronus.com/chess/wbeditor.php"]
    [Date "2020.10.22"] ...[text shortened]... Rfe1 Ba6 20. Nxd5 Rxc1
    21. Rxc1 Qe6 22. Nxf6+ gxf6 23. Qf4 Kg7 24. Qg5+ Kh8 25. Bxf6+ *

[/pgn]
    A very enjoyable game- nicely done! I especially enjoyed 16. Bxd5- a great example of non-stereotyped thinking that changed the tempo of the game.
  3. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    23 Oct '20 22:25
    @paul-leggett said
    A very enjoyable game- nicely done! I especially enjoyed 16. Bxd5- a great example of non-stereotyped thinking that changed the tempo of the game.
    When I can learn to come up with a plan or develop the ability to calculate I can stop playing by feel.

If I am in the right state of mind I do see more of the board and do calculate a couple of moves out and avoid bad ideas.

Any favorite gambit recommendations with nice traps, especially mating variety would be appreciated.

Eric Rosen made a comment that I found funny. He said that he felt like playing a crap response to 1.e4 so he replied e5, hoping for Stafford. It was for a 3 min game.
  4. Joined
    22 Sep '20
    Moves
    23 Oct '20 22:46
    Everyone who wants to improve should play classical chess.

e4 e5
    d4 d5
    Etc Etc

It took me from 1200 to 1600.
    I was stuck at 1200 for over 10 years because I thought unorthodox openings and traps would work.
    When I started with classical openings I improved fast.
    Their is a reason why great players play classical chess.
    It works.

Unorthodox chess is for when you are very good and know how to break the rules and survive.
  5. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    23 Oct '20 23:12
    @Cheesemaster

I have played more classical stuff. I used to play e4 e5 early on as black and the c3 then Zukertort, finally going to just b3, not liking the closed positions.

My interest at the moment, and has been for a while is the acquisition of trap and tactics knowledge.

Of course learning how to attack efficiently while shutting down counter play would be nice as well.

As for ratings points, I am pretty certain that if I took longer than 5 seconds to make my moves on this site, my rating would go up a 100 points. But that depends on mood and rarely will I be in a chess serious mood each day I make a move.
  6. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    24 Oct '20 01:42
    @eladar said
    @Cheesemaster

I have played more classical stuff. I used to play e4 e5 early on as black and the c3 then Zukertort, finally going to just b3, not liking the closed positions.

My interest at the moment, and has been for a while is the acquisition of trap and tactics knowledge.

Of course learning how to attack efficiently while shutting down counter play would be nice a ...[text shortened]... ints. But that depends on mood and rarely will I be in a chess serious mood each day I make a move.
    It would go up more than 100 points. A little care and a few rules of thumb go a long way here.
  7. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    24 Oct '20 09:05
    @eladar said
    @Cheesemaster

Of course learning how to attack efficiently while shutting down counter play would be nice a ...[text shortened]... ints. But that depends on mood and rarely will I be in a chess serious mood each day I make a move.
    I have said many times before that the ratings system is not to be relied on here.
    It is too easily influenced by timeout losses and sandbagging.
    I have found that even players with ratings <1200 need to be approached with caution.
    There are a few "basics" which will help you to improve:-
    First and foremost check all checks Greenpawn's rule number one.
    Secondly take a moment to look at the position-have you any pieces "hanging"?
    Third,try to work out why your opponent has made his last move.What is he up to?Players rarely make moves for no reason and watch out for knight forks. They are devastating!!
    Fourth try to avoid giving your opponent a passed pawn.You will spend the rest of the game defending
    Finally look at the whole board and study your move before pressing the send button.This is where I nearly always fail.I don't "see" that my move loses me a pawn or even a piece.
    Player's on here are relentless.Once you are behind in material they will ruthlessly press home their advantage, usually by forcing trade off material.
    Hope this helps.My rating suggests I am not a very good player.This is not true.I just haven't realised my potential for the last 10 years!!
  8. e4
    Moves
    24 Oct '20 11:39
    Hi Paul and Eladar,

Think you are correct about Bxd5 though it looks forced due to the pin on c3.
    A few players would have looked for a reason not to play that move.

Not sure about 7. Qa4 and then 8.Qd1 Black just castled, (a good move) if it had
    pulled forward a pawn creating a weakness to be later exploited I could get it.

But here (White to play)

18. Nxd5 which was played a few moves later, looks very good.
    Here as opposed to when 20. Nxd5 was played the Bb5 Bishop is hanging.

The wrap up was crisp and and neat but here.

23...Bd3 intending Bg6 holds but after Bxf6 White has an opposite colour
    Bishop Attack on the dark squares, (in effect a piece up ) but still work to do.
  9. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    26 Oct '20 01:242 edits
    Venda,

There is one other very important Greenpawn suggestion which would help me quite a bit if I were disciplined enough...

Always take a final looking for blunders before you hit send.

I usually find my blunders after. Once I master that one I will work on the others.

But it seems my chess ability is really tied to my mood that day or how well I am seeing things. Some days I see more of the board, other days it seems I can only see 9 squares.

I am really liking the Stafford. Is it not exactly why people play gambit?

Just had a nice mate playing it. It is my 2nd favorite mate pattern.

Change up keeps things fun.
  10. SubscriberChris Guffogg
    Alekhine's Gun
    🤔 Bolton
    Moves
    26 Oct '20 13:58
    @venda

"ruthlessly press".

An excellent phase.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree