1. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    18 Jul '18 07:312 edits
    Just looking for opinions. In terms of getting the best results from one's tournament efforts, part of me says "keep your game load under 10 and spend more time on each move" however playing 10-30 games at once can certainly expose one to many different variations and problems, and perhaps making them a stronger player in the long run. So, better to err on too many games, or too few? What say you all?
  2. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    18 Jul '18 09:17
    Originally posted by @mchill
    Just looking for opinions. In terms of getting the best results from one's tournament efforts, part of me says "keep your game load under 10 and spend more time on each move" however playing 10-30 games at once can certainly expose one to many different variations and problems, and perhaps making them a stronger player in the long run. So, better to err on too many games, or too few? What say you all?
    In my experience, a high game load doesn’t necessarily mean lower performance, it depends about how much free time you have available and are willing to commit to playing. If you have 40 hours a week to put into it, you could easily play 100 games concurrently and perform ok.

The thing that is an issue is that your available time isn’t static. You might have 40 hours free this week, but what about in a month’s time? All those games are still going on, but suddenly you have other commitments. This is why a large game load is a bad idea (imo).

One thing a friend of mine tried to trick himself into keeping his game load down. If you have moved in all of your games, don’t start new ones, spend time analysing the games you have going. Just because it is your opponents move, doesn’t mean you can’t spend time analysing the most forcing lines from your opponents perspective.
  3. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    18 Jul '18 12:34
    Assuming you play both tournaments and open invites and take the tournament games more seriously, have separate folders for them. You can keep the number of tournament games less than about 12, without leaving yourself short of games to move in. The reason for separate folders is just to stop you moving too quickly in those ones.
  4. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    18 Jul '18 21:14
    The biggest factor I have found is time pressure and wanting to "clear your board" when you log on to play.
    If you only play long(er) timeout games both in tournaments and any other format you will not find yourself under time pressure unless you have a ridiculous number of games on the go and can't keep up.
    I can only tell you what works for me:-
    I play most days but not every day and sometimes 2 or 3 separate sessions. When I log on I will play the games where opponents are online(green light) first and sometimes exclusively if they respond.I.e I might make a dozen moves against one opponent and not move in any other game
    My playing sessions usually last about 30 minutes and then I sometimes go on the forums for a while.
    I only play 7:7 time periods or longer but never less than 7 days timeout(time bank may be longer).
    I've found between 20 and 30 concurrent games is most comfortable for me and I very rarely have no games where it is my move when I log on.
    This is partly because I rarely have "no outstanding games" when I log off i.e I don't "clear my board "
    I have my filter set on least time remaining or oldest moves so I can see at a glance what games I most urgently need to move in.
    I have never lost a game in over 50,000 played by timeout ;
  5. Joined
    06 Nov '15
    Moves
    18 Jul '18 22:241 edit
    Great question.
    I like utilizing the folders as well.
    I use them to separate rated and tournament games from my friendly and open ones. Additionally, they improve efficiency when quick access to faster games is a must.

I've learned to join just a single tournament at a time, because my concentration and stamina do suffer when diffused over more than 30 boards.
    My scores have improved somewhat. But father-time continues to exact his penalties. 🙂
  6. Donationketchuplover
    Isolated Pawn
    Wisconsin USA
    Moves
    20 Jul '18 15:48
    One could try 20 games as white with a different first move for each,and or the same as black.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree