Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. 18 May '13 00:37 / 2 edits
    Bargain improve your train journeys!

    Chessbaron.com

    http://www.chessbaron.co.uk/chess-CM2008.htm

    I got one and its an absolute bargain - its the only puter I've seen so far you can pick the opening - its got 30. If you could actually make out the pieces on the screen and could play well it would be perfect. I can beat it at blitz quite easly but it has ply and longer thinking time levels, on those its quite respectable I'd say bcf 120, so for that price. I do like the chess sets on that site too- don't buy a dgt board a nice set is more likely to be worth something down the line. I think?

    bargain theres a £6 one too!
  2. Standard member congruent
    Chess Player
    18 May '13 09:13
    I would get bored of that personally but perhaps it would be a good toy for juniors?
  3. 18 May '13 11:47
    I know what you mean - its strong enough not to get too bored off - would make a good present though!
  4. 18 May '13 13:00 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by e4chris
    I know what you mean - its strong enough not to get too bored off - would make a good present though!
    a rich Tory like you e4chris could buy and donate to me a DGT board
  5. Standard member Kepler
    Demon Duck
    18 May '13 20:33
    Originally posted by e4chris
    Bargain improve your train journeys!

    Chessbaron.com

    http://www.chessbaron.co.uk/chess-CM2008.htm

    I got one and its an absolute bargain - its the only puter I've seen so far you can pick the opening - its got 30. If you could actually make out the pieces on the screen and could play well it would be perfect. I can beat it at blitz quite easly but ...[text shortened]... more likely to be worth something down the line. I think?

    bargain theres a £6 one too!
    You can't buy the £6 on its own though. Minimum order is £10.
  6. 18 May '13 21:12 / 3 edits
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    a rich Tory like you e4chris could buy and donate to me a DGT board
    Thats wishfull thinking

    I read greenpawn used to be a chess computer salesman, a job I'd rather like! so here we go...

    Chess computers are a higher form of intelligence, able to win pieces annoyingly and devoid of the stupidity of man.

    A dedicated chess computer is best! you can't get distracted like with a laptop or phone. Many rubbish dedicated computers have been made, most chess players lost interest. But there are a few good machines;

    The Saitek Master - its a 32 bit computer - only the most expensive and no longer made computers had this chip (I have no idea what 32 bit means). Its very strong, and plays excellent tactical sequences, mine sac'd a queen, knight and rook, for a 1 point lead and won endgame, only winning back the material 5 moves later. it almost got bought a new chess set for that. it regularly announces mate in 6. In tests it beats almost all novags.

    Novag Citrine - It looks nice, but the opening book is half the size of the saitek, i suspect its the obsidian in a wooden box and its probably weaker then the saitek..

    Saitek Explorer Pro - it used to be a more expensive machine, there's a travel one too thats quite strong - all saiteks are early versions of the program fritz.

    On E-bay Saitek Barracuda - strong ish mass produced, fairly cheap.

    The Saitek Sparc has a very attacking playing style and is note worthy, its a Spraklen program. It counter attacks almost every time rather then moving threatened pieces there is a good thread on it on the hiracs forum. Its one of the few that are classed as 'Antique' ie very expensive on e-bay.

    If you don't want one at all but want to see why they are cool - check out this site.

    http://www.turbulence.org/spotlight/thinking/chess.html

    one of the best things on the net to my mind
  7. 18 May '13 21:43
    i must say the distintion between a dgt board and a chess board is lost on me. surely the dgt is less convenient? and you can get such a good set for that price and a nice clock.
  8. 18 May '13 22:10 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by e4chris
    i must say the distintion between a dgt board and a chess board is lost on me. surely the dgt is less convenient? and you can get such a good set for that price and a nice clock.
    the attraction is that it has that 3d feel of a real chess set but is digital as well meaning that of course you can play on the net in 3D rather than two. I learned to play chess on an orion 6 in one, it has a max rating of 1400, but the best thing about it is guess the move for it has 100 games each from three world champions, Fischer, Kasparov and Karpov and about 20 from Deep Blue, which you can play through trying to guess the move.
  9. 18 May '13 22:16
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    the attraction is that it has that 3d feel of a real chess set but is digital as well meaning that of course you can play on the net in 3D rather than two. I learned to play chess on an orion 6 in one, it has a max rating of 1400, but the best thing about it is guess the move for it has 100 games each from three world champions, Fischer, Kasparov and Karpov and about 20 from Deep Blue, which you can play through trying to guess the move.
    yes but if you played blitz it would be annoying to move the other sides pieces easier to just play in 2d... and if you play at longer times surely you have time to move both sides - and you could be doing so on a very nice set, the top of the range hand carved ones are cheaper then dgt boards.
  10. 18 May '13 22:19 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    the attraction is that it has that 3d feel of a real chess set but is digital as well meaning that of course you can play on the net in 3D rather than two. I learned to play chess on an orion 6 in one, it has a max rating of 1400, but the best thing about it is guess the move for it has 100 games each from three world champions, Fischer, Kasparov and Karpov and about 20 from Deep Blue, which you can play through trying to guess the move.
    I have a 'saturn' 6 in 1 lent to me by a friend, can't play very well, have to say, but it was nice of them.
  11. 18 May '13 22:26
    Originally posted by e4chris
    yes but if you played blitz it would be annoying to move the other sides pieces easier to just play in 2d... and if you play at longer times surely you have time to move both sides - and you could be doing so on a very nice set, the top of the range hand carved ones are cheaper then dgt boards.
    Yes this is true, but, you can buy a dream cheeky usb roll up board (£10) and convert it into a rather elegant DGT board, if you have the time and patience.
  12. 18 May '13 22:39 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Yes this is true, but, you can buy a dream cheeky usb roll up board (£10) and convert it into a rather elegant DGT board, if you have the time and patience.
    where can you get one? (no luck on google)
  13. 18 May '13 23:12 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by e4chris
    where can you get one? (no luck on google)
    ebay, try usb chessboard

    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-ROLL-UP-CHESS-GAME-/300904830340?pt=UK_Toys_Games_Games&hash=item460f535584
  14. 19 May '13 01:27
    cool i saw them a while back but have not seen any at the usual chess sites. One good thing about dgt boards i guess is it leaves room for expensive computers in the market . I think the novag citrine will work as a usb board and its about £400 cheaper....
  15. 20 May '13 11:48 / 1 edit
    SSDF

    I am taking bets! who will win between...

    The Saitek Master with 0.05 seconds per move (its weakest level)

    Vs

    The £10 Excalibur Einstein with 30 seconds per move (on white)

    Place your bets!?!? if anyone bothers i will post a game for you