1. Standard membernevare
    TRUMP
    Canada
    Moves
    19 Jun '18 20:251 edit
    I've always just wanted to be a strong 1800 tournament player. I started playing as an adult so i knew I wouldnt be a master but 1800 has always appealed to me because that is a strong player who will crush all casual players. So my question is...do chess lessons work for adult players who are roughly 1500 online which I'm guessing is 1400 otb. Can I get anything out if it or is my brain locked?
  2. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    19 Jun '18 21:521 edit
    Originally posted by @nevare
    I've always just wanted to be a strong 1800 tournament player. I started playing as an adult so i knew I wouldnt be a master but 1800 has always appealed to me because that is a strong player who will crush all casual players. So my question is...do chess lessons work for adult players who are roughly 1500 online which I'm guessing is 1400 otb. Can I get anything out if it or is my brain locked?
    You can become an 1800+ player if you get a good coach, and ask the right questions: I did this very same thing and was very close to 1800 (USCF) before I quit chess to pursue other things. Ask your coach to outline for you a study and prep + competition plan of action. Always have your coach analyze your completed tournament games, play over them and pay close attention to your coach's analysis, this will help you avoid repeating mistakes of the past. A coach can only help you so far, but if you're serious about getting to 1800, having a coach is a smart idea. 🙂

P.S. No, I don't think your brain is locked. 😀
  3. Standard membernevare
    TRUMP
    Canada
    Moves
    19 Jun '18 22:02
    Thanks for the advice. 50 dollars an hour omg!
  4. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    20 Jun '18 02:00
    I get schooled nearly every time I play.
  5. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    20 Jun '18 11:34
    Have you ever read a chess book from cover to cover? If the answer is no, then i would suggest you do that first. At the end of the day, you could have 100 coaches, if you aren't putting the time/effort in then it's a waste of money. I think it's totally possible to get to 1800 without any assistance.
  6. Standard membernevare
    TRUMP
    Canada
    Moves
    20 Jun '18 14:03
    I've studied many books cover to cover. What is wrong with me is I can't figure out the proper strategy when I look at a position. If that makes sense.
  7. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    20 Jun '18 14:14
    I've studied many books cover to cover. What is wrong with me is I can't figure out the proper strategy when I look at a position. If that makes sense.
    Haha, well that's the kicker right there! If someone has a system for that then i'm all ears 😀
  8. Joined
    09 Aug '01
    Moves
    20 Jun '18 15:59
    Originally posted by @marinkatomb
    Have you ever read a chess book from cover to cover? If the answer is no, then i would suggest you do that first. At the end of the day, you could have 100 coaches, if you aren't putting the time/effort in then it's a waste of money. I think it's totally possible to get to 1800 without any assistance.
    I also think that one can reach 1800 without coaching. Plenty of glaring mistakes are made frequently below 1800; a simple opening, knowing the basics, and waiting for a mistake can be a very successful strategy. As an experiment, someone should try playing the London System exclusively and see if my opinion holds true.
  9. Standard membernevare
    TRUMP
    Canada
    Moves
    20 Jun '18 17:56
    I'll get there eventually. You'll see.
  10. Joined
    12 Nov '06
    Moves
    20 Jun '18 20:142 edits
    It is not wise to study for the sole purpose of getting to 1800. When you get there, you will see just how badly 1800 rated players play and you will be disappointed.

Study because you love the game, improvement will sort itself out. I think anyone can get to 2000, if the desire is there.

The key to improvement is experimentation. Don't fall into habits. Try different openings, different playstyles, try all kinds of ideas. Don't be afraid to lose!
  11. Standard membernevare
    TRUMP
    Canada
    Moves
    20 Jun '18 22:23
    Well said.
  12. Standard memberpdunne
    Badmaster
    freeshell.de/~dunne
    Moves
    28 Jun '18 06:32

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree