1. Joined
    07 Feb '18
    Moves
    08 Feb '18 22:33
    Hey,
    I'm new here, just starting my first game. I'm wanting to know if there 1-2 books that you'd highly recommend. I've never formally studied chess-I watch a lot of videos from chess.com and the chessnetwork. I enjoy studying games from Fischer and others. However, I've never read. So what would you recommend to an amateur perhaps intermediate player for reading? Opening, tactics, endgames, middle games, etc are all welcome. Thx!
  2. Subscriber64squaresofpain
    The drunk knight
    Stuck on g1
    Moves
    08 Feb '18 22:39
    Originally posted by @alphazero
    Hey,
    I'm new here, just starting my first game. I'm wanting to know if there 1-2 books that you'd highly recommend. I've never formally studied chess-I watch a lot of videos from chess.com and the chessnetwork. I enjoy studying games from Fischer and others. However, I've never read. So what would you recommend to an amateur perhaps intermediate player for reading? Opening, tactics, endgames, middle games, etc are all welcome. Thx!
    With the name AlphaZero I'd imagine you'd become pretty good just by self-teaching 🙂

Jokes aside, I'd recommend looking at the 'Winning Chess' series by Seirawan/Silman,
    you don't have to get them all, just choose which ones you feel you'd need e.g. Tactics

Good luck and have fun!

~64
  3. Joined
    29 Nov '08
    Moves
    09 Feb '18 06:55
    Let me suggest, chess opening for beginners. Any book will do. One of those years I managed to improve my game a lot just by understanding openings. This is like if you don't learn openings you are playing a random chess. No objective, no coordination, no technique and no strategy. Even if you are good in calculations you will have limited space to progress.
  4. e4
    Moves
    09 Feb '18 15:31
    Welcome to R.H.P.

There have been many threads on this subject.
    A very quick search found this one.

Thread 40946

and Paulbuchmanfromfics reviewed his entire book collection!

Thread 103080

I'll add that when I studied (a long time ago now) I enjoyed it
    ('cept endings...never bothered too much with those, just the basics.)
    The key is you must enjoy it as much as you enjoy playing.
  5. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    09 Feb '18 19:061 edit
    Hey,
    i used to look at books when I became interested in chess but I didn't get a lot from them to be honest.With openings you have to have a good memory and know what to do when your opponent doesn't follow the book moves.I also used to play through games quoted but a lot of the time I couldn't work out why the players had made some moves(not every move is annotated ,the authors must assume the moves and responses are obvious which for beginners they aren't)
    I've learned far more playing on here and picking up the tricks and mistakes than I ever got from books and video's.You're never going to be a top class player from books and dvd's/video's
    My advice is subscribe instead of buying books,start a dollop of games and take it from there.It'll be far more fun.Oh. and read Greenpawn's blogs for the tricks and tactics.
  6. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    10 Feb '18 00:51
    If you're going to fork out on a book get one on endings. It's better to learn to play openings by playing - the danger is that you'll end up trying to play a formula rather than understand the position infront of you. For the middle game annotated games are all you need and most newspapers have a chess column. Silman's book on endings, called something like Silman's Complete Endgame Course, is pretty good.
  7. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    10 Feb '18 02:37
    "Simple Chess" by Michael Stean.
  8. Subscribermlb62
    mlb62
    Moves
    10 Feb '18 14:47
    Fred Reinfeld's 1001 Brilliant Ways to Checkmate..a really fun book that I've gone thru many times..
  9. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    10 Feb '18 15:383 edits
    Hey,
    My System: 21st Century Edition: Aron Nimzowitsch, Winning Chess Tactics by Yasser Seirawan, and Chess Informants are good choices. These should get you off to a good start, after that, the mistakes are all out there, just waiting to be made! 🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree