1. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    04 May '19 16:541 edit
    When you are out of the opening moves you know you want to make jow long do you think?

It seems to me that your rating reflects what you see and what you consider. The more you have to consider the more things you can think about, yet the better you are the fewer useless things you consider.

I can say at my level 1400 to 1500 we do not consider much beyond what looks like a decent move based on how the board looks right now without thought about how it will look at any other point. If we have an idea about something and if we get the chance to do it two or three moves later we do not take into account how the board changed.

I guess you can say we stick to what few ideas we actually have without thinking too much about the board. We generally do not think too long lol.
  2. Standard memberchessturd
    Trump 2020
    Moves
    04 May '19 17:27
    At this site I spend 3 seconds per move.
    Horrible habit ☹️
    At real tournaments I spend about 3 minutes per move.
  3. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    04 May '19 18:32
    @chessturd

I have never played in tournaments.
  4. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    04 May '19 23:49
    @eladar said
    When you are out of the opening moves you know you want to make jow long do you think?

It seems to me that your rating reflects what you see and what you consider. The more you have to consider the more things you can think about, yet the better you are the fewer useless things you consider.

I can say at my level 1400 to 1500 we do not consider much beyond what looks lik ...[text shortened]... we actually have without thinking too much about the board. We generally do not think too long lol.
    In correspondence chess I'll spend between 2 min and an hour depending on the position. My downfall is sporadic study habits, which will probably dictate my plans for the the 2000+ playing level just isn't going to happen.

Oh well, intermediate level isn't so bad I guess. πŸ˜€
  5. Donationketchuplover
    Isolated Pawn
    Wisconsin USA
    Moves
    05 May '19 09:30
    Whomever moves without thinking has forgotten Bobby Fischer whoever that is πŸ˜‰
  6. Joined
    21 Jun '06
    Moves
    05 May '19 10:533 edits
    @ketchuplover

Magical thinking i.e.; If I turn my cap backwards somthing may happen.

In chess instructional videos there is a popular word for this. Please help me out mates πŸ™‚ ”which..” maybe??

”Hope chess” it was
  7. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    05 May '19 12:01
    @ketchuplover said
    Whomever moves without thinking has forgotten Bobby Fischer whoever that is πŸ˜‰
    To tell you the truth I know very little about Bobby Fischer compared to many around here, but know more about him than 90 percent of the general population.
  8. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    05 May '19 21:182 edits
    @eladar said

I can say at my level 1400 to 1500 we do not consider much beyond what looks lik ...[text shortened]... we actually have without thinking too much about the board. We generally do not think too long lol.
    It’s not how long you think that matters, but what you think.

Someone once asked Reti how many moves in advance he routinely calculated, and he answered “none. “ certainly he was capable of calculating 8 or 10 when he had to, but mostly what very strong players are thinking about are very general strategic plans, such as optimizing control of critical squares, or exploiting weaknesses in the opponent ‘s position. How long this takes depends in part on the experience of the player in question, and in part on the complexity of the position.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    16 May '19 17:51

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree