1. Joined
    09 Aug '01
    Moves
    15 Feb '16 13:47
    Say you're in a RHP section with three 2400s. Now say you're not competitive even against 2200s. I wondered if you could just copy moves by Player A and play them against Player B? If strategy is sound, how would you maximize against three players?
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    15 Feb '16 14:211 edit
    Originally posted by tonytiger41
    Say you're in a RHP section with three 2400s. Now say you're not competitive even against 2200s. I wondered if you could just copy moves by Player A and play them against Player B? If strategy is sound, how would you maximize against three players?
    That's a variation on the simul scam, where you have alternate white and black so you end up say playing two 2600 players and you are 2200, but you arrange your moves so the 2600's are playing each other. You copy the moves from one to the other.
    That can only work if you have black in one game and white in another.
  3. Joined
    16 Aug '15
    Moves
    16 Feb '16 03:36
    Move mirroring is a form of cheating. Bannable at many sites.
  4. Joined
    05 Feb '16
    Moves
    16 Feb '16 13:54
    Even if it is not cheating, which it seems to be, what is the point? And where is the joy? Chess should be about more than just winning an individual game or ratings.
  5. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    16 Feb '16 14:20
    The answer to the question "Why do I play the game of chess?' may shed light on your conundrum.

Paul
  6. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    16 Feb '16 14:27
    This one is quite old. Without being a Master player myself:

If you are i a three person group and manage to pull off the stunt in a double round Robin the best you get is to win two and lose two. Maybe you can even advance. BHut if you have bad Timing you could face the Problem to either lose on time or to Chose a move for yourself. Since you are not up to the Standard it will be more probably a losing than a winning move.

Some time back a Video was hsown here were a guy did manage to win more than he lost in a simul of his by applying the trick. But he had to win against the weakest Player all by himself 🙂
  7. Subscribermoonbus
    Ãœber-Nerd
    Moves
    16 Feb '16 14:58
    I read somewhere that some postal chess player tried the same scam w/ Lasker and Capablanca, playing Capa's moves in his game against Lasker and v.v.

Lasker and Capa got wise to it and stopped playing the man.
  8. Subscribermoonbus
    Ãœber-Nerd
    Moves
    16 Feb '16 18:45
    PS, you would not being playing an opponent yourself, you would in effect be duping two other players into becoming opponents by proxy, without their knowledge and consent. Not kosher.
  9. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    17 Feb '16 10:09
    This was mentioned in a thread years ago and it's defeatable. The poster didn't give the method but I'd imagine a procedure as follows. The two players whose moves are being copied have to realise and pm each other. One stops playing and the other makes a move. The one that stopped waits until a day has been shaved off his timebank and then moves in his game, the other player does the same. The two genuine players take notes on how long it takes the cheat to move and what times of day are best to move to run down his clock. A four hour delay from moving when he's asleep per move will mean that he will tend to run out of time faster. Because the cheat has to wait for the other players to move before he knows what to do he'll eventually be forced to either lose on time or make a move on his own.
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Feb '16 17:241 edit
    That scam has been used as a plot device in a couple of short stories.
    Old ones going way back .
  11. Joined
    09 Aug '01
    Moves
    21 Feb '16 13:07
    Originally posted by Paul Leggett
    The answer to the question "Why do I play the game of chess?' may shed light on your conundrum.

Paul
    lets say, hypothetically, that you suspect the 2400s to be machine enhanced players?
  12. e4
    Moves
    21 Feb '16 16:05
    If so inclined you could do it across websites that way it would be very
    hard to spot. You could run The top RHP player v the top lad from GameKnot.

The trouble is if both players are cheats then all these 99% match up
    moves are suddenly attached to you and you get banned from both sites 🙂
  13. SubscriberRagwort
    Senecio Jacobaea
    Yorkshire
    Moves
    21 Feb '16 16:20
    If you think playing against machines or machine assisted players is a waste of time don't waste any time playing them.

If you think that, as Tim Krabbe once wrote, you are getting 2400+ play from a 2400+ "identity" then does it actually matter what they are?
  14. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    21 Feb '16 18:121 edit
    Originally posted by Ragwort
    If you think playing against machines or machine assisted players is a waste of time don't waste any time playing them.

If you think that, as Tim Krabbe once wrote, you are getting 2400+ play from a 2400+ "identity" then does it actually matter what they are?
    This was going to be my response, but Ragwort beat me to it. It begs the question "Why do you play?"

Concocting a scam because you suspect another of cheating is poor justification to do so yourself.

I don't think that is your intent- I believe you were trying to have fun with this- but when we start trying to rationalize such actions, the slope becomes very slippery.

It also creates a pitiful alibi for anyone who does cheat and gets caught (Hey, I suspected they were cheating, and I was.. just trying to level the playing field, you know? I wasn't actually trying to cheat myself...).

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree