1. Standard memberwittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Moves
    26 Dec '07 11:52
    Also, if you are interested, I think some sort of user-interactive game interface is really, really convenient. For example, look at some of cludi's annotated games on his website.

http://www.clausjensen.com/
  2. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    26 Dec '07 16:39
    In the spirit of improving my analysis (tis horrid right now) I have set up a blog where I will be analyzing many of my games. Feel free to correct my analysis =) or point out where it is insufficient.

http://kmetzchess.blogspot.com/
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    26 Dec '07 16:49
    Originally posted by zebano
    In the spirit of improving my analysis (tis horrid right now) I have set up a blog where I will be analyzing many of my games. Feel free to correct my analysis =) or point out where it is insufficient.

http://kmetzchess.blogspot.com/
    nice site.. I think i might make one now.. just gotta figure out how 😛.
  4. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    26 Dec '07 17:49
    Originally posted by ih8sens
    nice site.. I think i might make one now.. just gotta figure out how 😛.
    send me a message if you need any tips (or if you have a better pgn viewer).
  5. Joined
    30 Oct '05
    Moves
    26 Dec '07 17:53
    Originally posted by MetBierOp
    No. And with my development skills it will not look professional either.
    🙂

However I would not mind becoming a populair website.
    I felt obligated to ask you. A few people had been banned for advertising their for-profit sites (or at least had their threads closed immediately), and I didn't want you to become a casualty due to ignorance.
  6. Joined
    02 Apr '07
    Moves
    26 Dec '07 23:562 edits
    Originally posted by MetBierOp
    Hello all,

As a new hobby I would like to built a website dedicated to chess.

However I need inspiration.
    So, what would you like to see on it?
    Since the site will be run by a Class A player without significant material resources, if it is to become popular it needs features that cannot be found elsewhere. After all, the site needs something to differentiate it from other sites, many of which have bigger budgets, greater expertise (both as site admins and as chess experts), and an already established following. Since you have no advertising budget you must rely on personal referrals by friends and acquaintances at first.

This suggests catering to local interests (chess clubs, school events, tournaments, etc.) as the first step in attracting, keeping, and only then broadening a core following. Make your site a clearinghouse for local chess enthusiasts by encompassing announcements and information for all local groups. Seek out news with both a local angle and a chess angle. Start with your own town and then when you have that properly covered (local contacts established and catered to) broaden it to include the immediate region.

Meanwhile, keep working on unusual features. What are the things which you have found useful or interesting but difficult to locate on the Web, regarding chess? Once you have a site attracting local chess enthusiasts, you can sound them out for things they want.

Rather than reinvent the wheel, I think that one of the best and cheapest ways to address the problem of unusual features is to seek out already existing sites on the Web, always looking for the site which provides the *very best* implementation of a particular feature, and add that as a link. Better still, make the link intrinsic to your site by hiding the URL under your own controls. For example, one of the clickable icons for your Website says "Openings Identified By Moves" and clicking on that button directly connects the user to the best URL on the Web for that. That way, instead of having to memorize or write down lots of links, your users will get used to simply accessing the features they like *through your website*. (You can, under the clickable icon, add a notice about re-routing, though this isn't strictly necessary.)
  7. New Braunfels, Texas
    Moves
    26 Dec '07 23:58
    Useful would be a beginner's area where the basics of tactics are explained. If you want people to keep coming back, have something like "tactic of the week" where you explain say the pin and show examples.
  8. washington
    Moves
    28 Dec '07 08:21
    Chess is boring why create a website about it? Why not checkers!?!
  9. Joined
    10 Dec '06
    Moves
    28 Dec '07 09:25
    Thanks for all the replies so far I will use the most.
    I will post here once it is online.
  10. Joined
    10 Dec '06
    Moves
    28 Dec '07 09:27
    Originally posted by kmac27
    Chess is boring why create a website about it? Why not checkers!?!
    checkers!?

Now go wash your mouth with soap 😠

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree