Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. Subscriber ogb
    28 Jan '18 16:05
    As James brown so aptly reminded us....The Tata Steel 2018 is over for Hou Yifan ..who garnered only 5 draws from 13 games. with the World's Elite..
  2. Subscriber BigDoggProblemonline
    The Advanced Mind
    28 Jan '18 20:43
    Originally posted by @ogb
    As James brown so aptly reminded us....The Tata Steel 2018 is over for Hou Yifan ..who garnered only 5 draws from 13 games. with the World's Elite..
    She can still beat 99.9% of the men on this planet.
  3. Subscriber ogb
    29 Jan '18 02:45
    She can still beat 99.9% of the men on this planet.
    Quite right, mate. B U T she probably cares much more about the dozen she just faced...
  4. Subscriber Marinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    29 Jan '18 10:30
    While i agree her tournament performance wasn't that great this time around, i do think she should be invited again. There are a lot of young girls watching this tournament. The reason there are so few women players is that they have no role models in chess. We have Judit Polgar, that's it. One day, there will be a woman challenging for the world title, it is inevitable. Polgar showed that there is no genetic predisposition that makes men stronger, it is absolutely possible for a woman to compete at the highest levels. Ok Hou Yifan might not be that break through player, but at this present moment she is the best female player by far. She is 2680 fide, that is well inside the top 100 in the world. Just because she had a disappointing tournament is not a reason to exclude her. I think it is very important that women players can see that there is a route to the top if they make the grade.
  5. Subscriber BigDoggProblemonline
    The Advanced Mind
    30 Jan '18 06:40
    Originally posted by @ogb
    Quite right, mate. B U T she probably cares much more about the dozen she just faced...
    No doubt. But it puts the whole "Man's world" delusion to rest.
  6. Donation ketchuplover
    G.O.A.T.
    30 Jan '18 17:58
    Her non-chess life will soon outgrow her chess life imo.
  7. Standard member byedidia
    Mister Why
    31 Jan '18 03:03
    Originally posted by @ketchuplover
    Her non-chess life will soon outgrow her chess life imo.
    Why would you say something so ridiculous? Would you say the same thing about Dreev who has the same rating and is more than twice her age?
  8. Subscriber ogb
    31 Jan '18 05:35
    Her non-chess life will soon outgrow her chess life imo.
    What life would that be? Most GMs who are still active, don't have a life outside chess..You said "outgrow", like in having babies, perhaps?
  9. 03 Feb '18 05:01
    Originally posted by @ogb
    What life would that be? Most GMs who are still active, don't have a life outside chess..You said "outgrow", like in having babies, perhaps?
    Attending Oxford will curtail her chess career.
  10. 05 Feb '18 09:59
    Originally posted by @byedidia
    Why would you say something so ridiculous? Would you say the same thing about Dreev who has the same rating and is more than twice her age?
    No, but you could say the same thing about, for example, Reuben Fine, whosr chess career declined when he went to university and became a professional psychologist. Hou intends to go to Oxford; her non-chess studies will take a lot of her time, as well. Her life, her choice.