18 Jun '18 21:29
    I agree. Symmetrical positions suck.
  2. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    19 Jun '18 15:06
    Originally posted by @ragwort
    Although recommended in books I'm not sure a classical repertoire is necessarily the best for non theorists. To win in symmetrical positions tends to require accurate move after accurate move (think of Karpov playing the Petrov) whereas the flexible pawn structures of Pirc KID can be more fertile ground to find ideas with which to outplay a similar rated op ...[text shortened]... ending Ng6 protecting f4}
    [/pgn]

Then you find 10 years ago a load of GMs start playing it.
    Yes, good post. There is no way around it, chess requires effort and patience to master, there are no short cuts.

Adopting a hype modern opening like the KID, the black player is trying to avoid symetrical positions, this is a very valid reason to take up such an opening. But how does one come to learn the value of this approach, if you haven't spent time playing classical, symetrical openings? When you teach a new player, you would never start with the KID, it would be a complete waste of time. I tried to play this opening after about a year of playing fairly seriously (well, i played most days for a year, if you can call that serious). I gave it up pretty quickly. Tbh, i have been playing for 15 years now and I still avoid this opening with both colours!
  3. Standard membernevare
    TRUMP
    Canada
    Moves
    19 Jun '18 15:50
    Yes I can get crushed sometimes but over time I will get it. I have played classical and studied those games. I started in 2005 and just now I am playing these hyper modern openings. I'm only 1500ish after 13 years. I suck.
  4. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    20 Jun '18 16:37
    Originally posted by @marinkatomb
    Yes, good post. There is no way around it, chess requires effort and patience to master, there are no short cuts.

Adopting a hype modern opening like the KID, the black player is trying to avoid symetrical positions, this is a very valid reason to take up such an opening. But how does one come to learn the value of this approach, if you haven't spen ...[text shortened]... kly. Tbh, i have been playing for 15 years now and I still avoid this opening with both colours!
    "hype modern openings"? I realize this is a spell checker induced error, but it brings out an important point. A lot of the advocacy of some systems is just that. Typically to sell some book.

I tend to agree. The problem with things like the King's Indian is that players can use it to avoid openings tactics - which I did years and years ago to the detriment of my game. Beginners need to be able to cope with these and the best way to do that is playing e4 and that family of openings as the pieces come into contact quickly. The caveat is that in a competitive game, such as for a chess club in a league game, one should play to one's strengths - so avoiding tactics via the KIA is appropriate - beginners should play for tactical fireworks in friendlies where only ego is at stake.
  5. Standard membernevare
    TRUMP
    Canada
    Moves
    20 Jun '18 17:33
    So are you saying classical and tactics or safe and sound? It feels like you said both.
  6. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    20 Jun '18 17:46
    Originally posted by @nevare
    So are you saying classical and tactics or safe and sound? It feels like you said both.
    It depends on one's objective in the next game. If it is a training game then it makes sense to play into positions one finds difficult - in the context of this discussion that means beginners playing classical lines after 1. e4. On the other hand if the game is competitive one should aim for positions one is most comfortable in - in the context of a beginner struggling with opening tactics the KIA is a good tool for coping.
  7. Standard membernevare
    TRUMP
    Canada
    Moves
    20 Jun '18 17:52
    I ain't scared of tactics!
  8. Standard membernevare
    TRUMP
    Canada
    Moves
    20 Jun '18 17:53
    Lasker said your only job in the opening is to get a playable middlegame. Ha!
  9. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    26 Jun '18 20:55
    Originally posted by @nevare
    Lasker said your only job in the opening is to get a playable middlegame. Ha!
    It took me years to appreciate this, but against good players this is all you can really hope for, other things equal. Anything else is "hope chess".
  10. Standard membernevare
    TRUMP
    Canada
    Moves
    26 Jun '18 22:42
    Thank you. That's all that I was saying.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree