1. Joined
    12 Mar '03
    Moves
    15 Feb '10 10:47
    How difficult can it be to find a single 63-move knight tour out of the estimated 13,267,364,410,532 solutions 😉

It used to be a typical housework task to find solutions while practicing re-entrant programming languages (such as Pascal).

To know more, try http://www.chessbase.com/columns/column.asp?pid=163 as well as what you find googeling Euler
  2. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Moves
    15 Feb '10 16:02
    Originally posted by Pattrick06
    George Koltanowski, did his "Knights Tour" Blindfolded, that is on a large Chess board he would write in various names, i.e. a1=Spassky b3=Fischer a5= 8 diget number and so forth. George was remarkable, as a chess player and Ambassdor to the Chess world.
    I had many conversations with George Koltanowski in the late 70's and winessed the Knights Tour many times. One thing he did was allow spectators to give every square any name they chose before he started and he would call out the move by saying things like "Karpov" to "giraffe" and so on until he completed the tour of the knight. He never missed.
    I asked him how he did it and he said that he divided the board into four 4x4 squares amd simply memorized it.
  3. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Moves
    15 Feb '10 16:05
    Originally posted by wittywonka
    If anyone has ever played this little game and completed it successfully, would you please post your path here?

The link to the game, in case you haven't heard of it before, is:

http://www.yukyuk.com/games_downloads/online_chess/knight_game/knight_game.shtml

My best is 62 of the squares... so close yet so far...
    Benjamin Franklin published the solution several centuries ago
  4. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    15 Feb '10 16:56
    I know how to do this on a 10x10 board.
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    15 Feb '10 23:43
    For the puriststs, in the original puzzle you were required to start and finish on the same square, landing on each square once only ( except the start/end square ).

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree