1. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    11 Feb '22 23:411 edit
    https://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/27593253/why-grandmasters-magnus-carlsen-fabiano-caruana-lose-weight-playing-chess

The grandmaster diet: How to lose weight while barely moving

The 1984 World Chess Championship was called off after five months and 48 games because defending champion Anatoly Karpov had lost 22 pounds. "He looked like death," grandmaster and commentator Maurice Ashley recalls.

In 2004, winner Rustam Kasimdzhanov walked away from the six-game world championship having lost 17 pounds. In October 2018, Polar, a U.S.-based company that tracks heart rates, monitored chess players during a tournament and found that 21-year-old Russian grandmaster Mikhail Antipov had burned 560 calories in two hours of sitting and playing chess -- or roughly what Roger Federer would burn in an hour of singles tennis.

Robert Sapolsky, who studies stress in primates at Stanford University, says a chess player can burn up to 6,000 calories a day while playing in a tournament, three times what an average person consumes in a day.

"Grandmasters sustain elevated blood pressure for hours in the range found in competitive marathon runners," Sapolsky says.

The effect can be off-putting to the players themselves, even if it's expected. Caruana, whose base weight is 135 pounds, drops to 120 to 125 pounds. "Sometimes I've weighed myself after tournaments and I've seen the scale drop below 120," he says, "and that's when I get mildly scared."
  2. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    11 Feb '22 23:421 edit
    I wonder what a chess workout video would look like.
  3. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    12 Feb '22 03:13
    @vivify said
    https://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/27593253/why-grandmasters-magnus-carlsen-fabiano-caruana-lose-weight-playing-chess

The 1984 World Chess Championship was called off after five months and 48 games because defending champion Anatoly Karpov had lost 22 pounds. "He looked like death," grandmaster ...[text shortened]... nts and I've seen the scale drop below 120," he says, "and that's when I get mildly scared."
    Interesting!
  4. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    12 Feb '22 03:191 edit

Removed by poster

5. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    12 Feb '22 07:081 edit
    @vivify said

The 1984 World Chess Championship was called off after five months and 48 games because defending champion Anatoly Karpov had lost 22 pounds. "He looked like death," grandmaster ...[text shortened]... nts and I've seen the scale drop below 120," he says, "and that's when I get mildly scared."
    I read this about the K-K matches in Moscow years in ago. Stress and intense concentration burn a lot of calories, but it's not a healthy way to lose weight. IMHO a combination of smart food choices, exercise, and fairly intense study and/or play for 1-2 hrs. a day would be a better path to follow.
  6. Standard memberSchlecter
    The King of Board
    Solar System
    Moves
    14 Feb '22 15:59
    I was thinking about great chess players and It seems all are very thin/skinny people (specially Carl Schlechter).

Maybe Bogoljubov and Geller were very big people
  7. Standard memberContenchess
    Contentious
    Moves
    14 Feb '22 18:11
    @Schlecter

They used to call Bogoljubov the doubled pawn 😆
  8. Subscriber64squaresofpain
    The drunk knight
    Stuck on g1
    Moves
    08 Apr '22 20:43
    They don't drink, so doesn't count.

Game o chess isn't same without a beer or three 😀

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree