1. Ontario
    Moves
    29 Jul '18 17:412 edits
    So Netflix has a good documentary about Magnus growing up and becoming world champion. It is worth watching but it hints at talented players being good and seeing moves without effort or even knowing why they have that much chess strength. That is unfortunate. I would love to be good but if it just came naturally with little work I wouldn't play. Now of course he works hard so don't think I'm saying all talented players have it easy it just irritates me that with chess math and music some people have an inner self that takes over and they don't have to work like the others. Maybe I'm just jealous. Check out the documentary if you already haven't. I can't wait for him to lose. I don't think he will lose this year against Carauna though. I played 5...f5 in a Steinitz defense and got crushed so I'm in a bad mood.
  2. Ontario
    Moves
    29 Jul '18 17:49
    arularuvi crushed me in 10 moves. I will never play 5...f5 in a Steinitz defense again. I never played like that before. I usually just develop. I'm in a foul mood today.
  3. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    30 Jul '18 04:30
    Originally posted by @jimmygold
    So Netflix has a good documentary about Magnus growing up and becoming world champion. It is worth watching but it hints at talented players being good and seeing moves without effort or even knowing why they have that much chess strength. That is unfortunate. I would love to be good but if it just came naturally with little work I wouldn't play. Now of c ...[text shortened]... inst Carauna though. I played 5...f5 in a Steinitz defense and got crushed so I'm in a bad mood.
    Well Jimmy, here is some news that might brighten your day: What netflix hints at and what happens in the real world are 2 very different things. Magnus is indeed a very talented guy, but without his strong work ethic he wouldn't have cracked the top 100, much less become world champion. The same can be said about all the past world champions. I'm sorry about your Steinitz defense issues, but as far as Magnus goes, he has to work hard just like all the rest of the super GM's.
  4. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    30 Jul '18 07:24
    Genius is the ability to make the difficult look easy. Trust me, it isn't easy, even for a genius.

This is not to deny that some people seem to have an innate talent for some things, but that does not mean it would flower anyway, even without care and attention.
  5. Ontario
    Moves
    30 Jul '18 10:43
    Well said by both of you.
  6. Joined
    06 Nov '15
    Moves
    30 Jul '18 22:15
    Well said by both of you.
    I watched that documentary on NETFLIX about a year ago.

It was interesting, although I was disappointed that there was no English subscript. Magnus frequently spoke in his native tongue and it would have been nice to what he was saying.

Having said that, I'm hoping for Carauano. It would be wonderful to have an Italian-American World Champion.
  7. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    31 Jul '18 06:43
    Carauano has a fine style, whatever his nationality. I’ll be rooting for him.
  8. Standard membersundown316
    The Mighty Messenger
    The Wood of N'Kai
    Moves
    31 Jul '18 17:471 edit
    Did you see Magnus today after he lost to Mamedyarov at Biel? B******* and moaning like he had a yeast infection. Well that's what he gets for drawing too many games. Now he has to win the last round and hope Mamedyarov loses to tie for first. Don't see that happening, tho.
  9. Ontario
    Moves
    31 Jul '18 18:53
    It's amazing the amount of blunders the top players make and it's the type of blunders I make! I imagine a blunder at the top being a 7 move combination or something but a lot of the time they make basic blunders like me. Maybe I still have a chance to get good. A man can dream.
  10. Standard membersundown316
    The Mighty Messenger
    The Wood of N'Kai
    Moves
    31 Jul '18 22:44
    Magnus gets Georigitis the last round, while Mamedyarov gets Svidler. Easy point for Magnus, but Mamedyarov should hold easily against Svidler
  11. Standard membersundown316
    The Mighty Messenger
    The Wood of N'Kai
    Moves
    01 Aug '18 13:12
    My bad, Mamedyarov has already clinched, so it doesn't matter what happens in the last round.
  12. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    02 Aug '18 14:08
    It's amazing the amount of blunders the top players make and it's the type of blunders I make! I imagine a blunder at the top being a 7 move combination or something but a lot of the time they make basic blunders like me. Maybe I still have a chance to get good. A man can dream.
    I can relate. I used to hate it when I blundered away an advantage in an OTB tournament. Just one more reason to stick with correspondence chess.
  13. Ontario
    Moves
    03 Aug '18 01:42
    Real tournaments are the only way to play.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree