1. Sandwich Land
    Moves
    26 Feb '06 16:171 edit
    I am still to decide and set it in stone but heres my current thoughts (note this is for OTB!):

White:

Against lower players, it might be easier to get them to miss tactics, so e4 would be better. Against higher players I want to be safe and try for draws (eg closing up positions) so d4.

Black:

Against e4, most people dont know to play d4 vs sicilian at my level for some reason - so I dont play it alot. French is too much time and theroy which could be used on better things, so I'll take Caro-kann for saftey.

Against d4 the KID, even though it brings me bad results (keep getting squashed on kingside) I think it is still good (or it wouldnt be the choice of many GM's!). Hopefully some day experience will be able to refute the Kingside pawn storms.

So any advice on my repetoire? What do you think of it?
  2. cavanaugh park
    Moves
    26 Feb '06 17:29
    1.f3 2. Kf2
  3. Joined
    17 May '05
    Moves
    26 Feb '06 17:40
    Originally posted by Caro Kann
    I am still to decide and set it in stone but heres my current thoughts (note this is for OTB!):

[b]White:

Against lower players, it might be easier to get them to miss tactics, so e4 would be better. Against higher players I want to be safe and try for draws (eg closing up positions) so d4.

Black:

Against e4, most people dont know to ...[text shortened]... efute the Kingside pawn storms.

So any advice on my repetoire? What do you think of it?[/b]
    Beginners shouldn't play the kid. Learn the fundamentals with ...d5 systems first- orthodox, nimzo indian, slav, etc.
  4. Scotton Lincolnshire
    Moves
    26 Feb '06 18:57
    Give the French more time. It's hard to be blasted away when playing it even against a better player and so many players just don't know it as white and, for example, help by swapping off the French Bishop.
  5. Standard memberAmaurote
    No Name Maddox
    County Doledrum
    Moves
    26 Feb '06 19:591 edit
    I really hate the French, although ironically I do like relatively passive defences like the Caro-Kann and Steinitz. But playing against it is a diffferent matter...if you're playing an e4 player who can't handle an open f-file, great, if you're playing the rare breed of player who actually likes the damn French...look out.

PS: Before the wrath of the Caro-Kann descends upon me, I should perhaps qualify that first sentence by saying "passive-looking".
  6. Joined
    20 Dec '05
    Moves
    26 Feb '06 20:05
    I agree with the comment to avoid the KID as a beginner. Stick with something "safer" such as the N-I /QID
  7. Joined
    01 Aug '04
    Moves
    26 Feb '06 20:14
    Take all that I have to say with a grain of salt - I'm just a hacker who has tried a lot of defences and has read a lot about chess openings. I don't know if it is a good idea to play both 1.e4 and 1.d4. Your chances to win against a lesser opponent are not diminished if you play 1.d4. I think you have to be at a pretty high level where "drawish" defences mean anything, anyway, and there are plenty of drawish defences to 1.e4 as well. I would say it is best to pick one and stick with it.

The KID is hard to handle but also a lot of fun. Nevertheless, if you think that the French is too much theory, then I would steer clear of the KID.

Speaking of the French, I really don't think that it's as theoretical as you might fear. I play it quite a bit, and most players go for the advance, at least at the lower levels. You will have plenty of opportunity to practice these lines and only need to add something against Nc3 and Nd2 as you encounter them. Many white players are unfamiliar with the subtleties of the French (again, I'm speaking of lower levels), and you can often win a center pawn or take over the initiative relatively easily. In my experience, the French was more direct and gave me better chances to generate counterplay than the Caro Kann (a defence I also like a lot).

Just my two cents,
    Scott
  8. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    26 Feb '06 20:28
    Same advice as above.

With white, stick to one only. Either 1.e4 or 1.d4. Learning both systems is to hard so stick with one and eventually you will "master" it.

Black, the Kid is good for GM's because they know the theory. You don't and that is why you get bad results with it. Play 1.d4 d5 or one Nizmo,Bogo Indian etc...with 1.d4 Nf6

against 1.e4 the caro-kann is solid but I think it's hard for either side to win from it if they both know what they are doing. So I think if you are looking for a draw with Black against 1.e4 go for the caro-kann.
  9. Scotton Lincolnshire
    Moves
    26 Feb '06 22:54
    I always play the French and wonder why it's called passive- there is a counterattack from move 3 and if I get a chance to get c6 in, I do and it really gets away from the book.
  10. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    27 Feb '06 03:09
    Originally posted by Amaurote
    I really hate the French, although ironically I do like relatively passive defences like the Caro-Kann and Steinitz.
    The French is a breakthrough opening. I languished as a C player for almost a decade while playing the Sicilian as my primary response to 1.e4. I took up the French seriously about two years ago, and last year climbed into the B class. The French is a great counterattacking defense, and not at all passive.
  11. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    27 Feb '06 15:41
    I find I funny when beginers study openings moreso than tactics...

so....your playing a game against me - and you decide that because i'm stronger you go for a "drawish" opening....what do you do when i make random moves against you?? - how effective is your openings study when i decide to play 1.h4??

when you have a strong understanding of Tactics and Endgames do you bother to learn openings -- you will win and draw a lot more games that way..
  12. Sandwich Land
    Moves
    27 Feb '06 16:26
    Originally posted by Shinidoki
    I find I funny when beginers study openings moreso than tactics...

so....your playing a game against me - and you decide that because i'm stronger you go for a "drawish" opening....what do you do when i make random moves against you?? - how effective is your openings study when i decide to play 1.h4??

when you have a strong understanding of Tactics a ...[text shortened]... Endgames do you bother to learn openings -- you will win and draw a lot more games that way..
    Eh maybe you should think again.
    In my league team I am nearly the strongest of the players, while they are all about 5 years older than me. I am only 15. I am very stong in tactics and the endgame oand study them all the time. Maybe you should shut your mouth and stop trying to sound good. Ill challenge you anytime.

Dont even think about trying to call me a beginner until you challenge me, suckor.
  13. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    27 Feb '06 16:53
    Eh maybe you should think again.
    In my league team I am nearly the strongest of the players, while they are all about 5 years older than me. I am only 15. I am very stong in tactics and the endgame oand study them all the time. Maybe you should shut your mouth and stop trying to sound good. Ill challenge you anytime.

Dont even think about trying to call me a beginner until you challenge me, suckor.
    1) i wasn't being offensive....

2) the word strong (without a point of reference) is completly meaningless - my tactics are strong compared to a goldfish...

3) i think the majority of players will agree with me - Tactics and endgame are more important for beginers to learn than openings....

4) if you wish to challenge me because you have something to prove feel free....if i don't have 6 games going on i'll accept....
  14. Joined
    25 Sep '04
    Moves
    27 Feb '06 17:00

Dont even think about trying to call me a beginner until you challenge me, suckor.[/b]
    Hi, got no idea what to write. I have taken up Caro Kann vs e4, KID vs d4, although I am quite a beginner.

In your profile, you called youself a beginner.............
  15. Scotton Lincolnshire
    Moves
    27 Feb '06 18:02
    Chill out, Caro Kann- a number of people made sensible replies to your thread; no need for a hormonal response to a generalised comment.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree